Application Development Blog Posts
Learn and share on deeper, cross technology development topics such as integration and connectivity, automation, cloud extensibility, developing at scale, and security.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Keller
Active Contributor
Recently on Golem was an article about characterizing a developer (it's written in german). In the article the author Maja Hoock talked about the problem that very opposite characters can influence the software development process negative - from my own experience, that's true and sometimes it's not true. 

In conclusion, it is important to know what developer characters work in a team. At this point the article introduced two people, Matthias Wittum and Christian Rehn, who had an idea how to call the characters (ninja, sorcerer, gardener and more) and how to distinguish between them. Kindly, they did not keep their thoughts for themselves but have created a website in english language with a self-test 🙂 

From this point on the thing became really funny and interesting. The character titles reminded me of a hero group from a role playing game like Wizardry. I was really busy with the self-test because you must agree to a maximum of five statements within a group of different statements. Even if you would say that other statements fits to you and your opinion ... just five please.

At the end I got my result: The Technician. Well, that doesn't sound glorious. Sounds a bit like the person who is fixing my car or the elevator. Fire fighter would be cool or even better, a Ninja. No matter, I will check if Technician was the right result.

Just one thought at the end of this blog. Perhaps there is a question in your next job interview like "What developer character are you?". So what's your answer? Let me know, hope you will have the same fun as I had ...

Michael

29 Comments
ennowulff
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Yeah, cool Test, Michael!

I am also an engineer. ?
margaretk
Participant
Yes - that was fun, Michael.  Apparently I'm a Firefighter.
pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Interesting, it put me in the Craftsman box.
Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
For non-german speakers, note that the test is in English. There are also construction managers
Michael_Keller
Active Contributor
That was an important note. I updated the blog. Thanks.
Former Member
Hi keller.m,

Thank you for sharing this gem, now I want a card deck for me!

Seems like reading all Uncle Bob books is being effective since I have fallen into the Craftsman card!
Michael_Keller
Active Contributor
I like the motto "There's nothing to fear for an engineer!" 🙂
matt
Active Contributor
Magician. Seems about right. http://design-types.net/result.html?type=PAPT

I wonder how these categorisations map to MBTI categorisations?
Michael_Keller
Active Contributor
Interesting word "box" ... that reminds me on one thought I had after finishing the self-test: Thinking in categories and boxes is typical in the west. Try to talk about categories and boxes with a chinese daoist monk 😉
ennowulff
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
I like those structures and classifications. It makes me attentive of my own strengths and weaknesses.

It also reminds me that there are tasks where different skills are needed than the ones I have.

Especially in gamification it's interesting which types of players are around. Here is a test in different languages. And here is the Bartle test. (For those you like questionnaires... 🙂 )
Michael_Keller
Active Contributor
Do not bring a fire ax to work. Could be a security incident 😉
lbreddemann
Active Contributor
The Technician (SAPT).

What can I say? The first three letters are a match 😄
HPSeitz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

The Ninja (SCPT)

really surprised

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
me too. I got Technician!

ChristianGünter
Contributor
0 Kudos
Craftsman (SCIT)  🙂
nabheetscn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
The Scientist (PAIT).

Somewhat agree/disagree both:)
http://design-types.net/result.html?type=PAIT&ukey=5b87cbb5a8289"
matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Is the motto for a magician "Be afraid, be very afraid"?.

Or perhaps - do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are quick to anger and not all that subtle.
pokrakam
Active Contributor

Actually the term 'box' was an attempt at irony. The best approach is the one that’s the most suited to the problem at hand. Sometimes that’s ninja stealth tactics, other times it’s a sledgehammer. It takes experience to know the difference.

Does that make me a software monk? ?

Edit: But the result is not far off from my favourite style of working, so I still think it's a pretty good test.

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Me too.

And I agree broadly with it.
Tomas_Buryanek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
The Construction Manager - motto "Getting things done". Whole description fits I think 🙂 Nice test
Michael_Keller
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
If you are sorcerer or magician and your motto is "you shall not pass", perhaps you write a lot of firewall software 😉
matt
Active Contributor
That's my response to the first draft of programs for review. "You shall not pass my code review."
Jelena
Active Contributor
I thought this would be something like The 14 characters you meet as a coder but for the SAP world. 🙂

Disappointing! 🙂

Michael_Keller
Active Contributor
"Developers often think of themselves as the only sane person in the room. This, as you may know, is also a trait of the clinically insane." I like the introduction 🙂 Thanks for sharing.
Michael_Keller
Active Contributor
"software monk" sounds like a character from Shadowrun or Ghost in the Shell. A mix of different characters can be explosive or boring. I agree with you, it's really a question what you need.
BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing this self-test, Michael!

It determined – with ticking checkboxes quickly – that I’m a Construction Manager (SAPR) like some others who already chimed in. The description fits fairly well, I think.

Cheers

Baerbel

mmcisme1
Active Contributor
Strange - these answers would change for me day by day and job I held.  But I missed this the first time.  Taking it today I am the Magician.   Not sure if that's good or not.  But cool title.
Michael_Keller
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Every party needs a magician - ok, perhaps I played too much computer role games in the past 😉 But hey, strange times, always good to know a magician. Either for entertainment or for miracles.
margaretk
Participant
I took the test in 2018 and I took it again today.  Back then I was a Firefighter - today I am a Craftsman.

I was hoping, a little, for Magician.