Application Development Blog Posts
Learn and share on deeper, cross technology development topics such as integration and connectivity, automation, cloud extensibility, developing at scale, and security.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
larshp
Active Contributor
In the first week of Efficient DevOps with SAP, dirk.lehmann introduced CALMS(Culture, Automation, Lean, Measurement, Sharing) as important for building a DevOps culture.

Since the introduction of abapGit, it has followed many of the CALMS concepts,

Culture

Everyone in the world can contribute to abapGit, across companies and organizations of all sizes. There are no silos, and everyone has full transparency into what is ongoing, and a full public listing of bugs and feature requests.

There is full autonomy, most contributors use their own spare time for contributing, so contributions typically happen in an area of interest or if a feature is needed.

Automation

With contributions from different sources, the need for automation quickly arose, this has lead to more open source projects like abapmerge and abaplint which helps new contributors with fast feedback regarding their code suggestions(pull requests).

This also makes sure the codebase is consistent and avoids most of the tedious code review tasks.

Sharing

As the abapGit culture is open, many share their experiences in blog posts. And there are currently 189 open source projects listed on dotabap.org using abapGit.

Documentation and API documentation is shared like the code, letting the community help keeping it up to date.

Failing Fast

Every increment is delivered and can be used by the community as soon as it's merged to the default branch. As things fail fast, they can also be fixed fast, and abapGit follows the OPEN Open Source principles, where 20+ people have access to merge to the default branch.

Closing

Culture is an important part of CALMS, it is important to build open culture based on top of open software. If the tools used are closed and siloed, building an open culture will not succeed.

Still, some large organizations fail to accept the existence of successful open source tooling like abapGit, and these are the exact companies that will fail to build a CALMS culture.

8 Comments
sandeepkarnati
Participant
0 Kudos
Hello Team,

i am trying to setup BITBUCKET as ABAP Repo for your development.

so i downloaded (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/abapGit/build/main/zabapgit.abap)  ABAPGIT code and created report for version V1.114.0.

i am getting below error(

No branches, create branch manually by adding file) when i try to add the BITBUCKET repo on ECC

system 

Please suggest

larshp
Active Contributor
while creating the repository, select "Yes" for "Include a README?" 

https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/create-a-repository/

This is the easiest way to start out with a file in the repository
sandeepkarnati
Participant
0 Kudos
Hello Lars,

Thank you for the update.

Here i am using the on-premise version of "Atlassian Bitbucket v7.6.7",so steps mentioned in the above blog are not valid here

and this error is resolved by creating the file manually by cloning the repo first on to local machine (clone repo,create file,push the file to repo)

Thanks
sandeepkarnati
Participant
0 Kudos
Hello Lars,

Is it possible to push existing ABAP code on ECC system to Git Repo?

Lets say,i have a Z package on ECC system,how do push that to Bitbucket or Git Repo?

Thanks
larshp
Active Contributor
sandeepkarnati
Participant
0 Kudos
Hello Lars,

when i try to push the existing Z package to Repo (repo already exist) in Bitbucket (onpremise) i am getting below error(screen shot1)

if i change the Repo URL to root path (like https://bitbuckethostname/scm/ab/),i am getting second error

Please suggest

larshp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

see https://github.com/abapGit/abapGit/issues/5301

and please use github for creating issues, there is no way to keep track of open comments here

sandeepkarnati
Participant
0 Kudos
Hello Lars,

new issue created on Github

Unable to Export existing Z Packages from SAP to Bitbucket Repo using abapgit #5342

Labels in this area