Application Development Blog Posts
Learn and share on deeper, cross technology development topics such as integration and connectivity, automation, cloud extensibility, developing at scale, and security.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thanga_prakash
Active Contributor
In this blog we are going to learn about how to enable 'Proposal search help for standard field' which is similar to Google search suggestions when you start typing words in search box.

Yes! you heard me right, it is possible to provide proposal search help in standard screen fields even though Search help is not assigned to field in Screen attributes and it is possible in ABAP 7.4 and higher.

Let's take Purchase Order ME21N, where we will create proposal search help for item field Requirement No. as in the below marked field.

Find Table name and field name of field by F1 Help technical information.

Create custom search help like below make sure to enable 'Proposal Search for Input Fields' as in screen below.

Create Append structure in the identified table MEPO1211, here MEPO1211_DATA is the include structure which has BEDNR field, so append structure to be created in MEPO1211_DATA

Click on Show Appending Obj.

Place cursor in field BEDNR, in Input Help/Check tab, click on search help

Provide search help to be tagged to field.

Now explicit search help is assigned to this field.

Activate append structure and check in transaction ME21N again

Thanks for reading!! Suggestions or comments are always welcome 🙂

8 Comments
Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
Thank you for this detailed blog post about the "dynpro type-ahead" feature via the search helps; other old blog posts where not as detailed as yours.

NB 1: you have the words "fuzzy" and "predictive" in your title, but you don't say anything about them. Predictive is not the right term because I think there's nothing predictive (would imply Artificial Intelligence based on value depending on the context and on the previous inputs). Fuzzy is when the value "Accuracy Value for Error-tolerant Full Text Search" is not 1 and it's supported only in some databases (HANA as far as I know). There's some more information in the chapter Enhanced Search Help Functionality in SAP Library: Elementary Search Help and in the note 1861491 - Proposal search for input fields - additional information.

NB 2: You may also use this feature in dynpros without the need of a search help by using the classes CL_DSH_DYNPRO_PROPERTIES and CL_DSH_SAPGUI_TYPE_AHEAD.
thanga_prakash
Active Contributor
Thanks for your valuable comments sandra.rossi .

Yes I too agree with your views on Predictive and Fuzzy search.

Regarding NB2, I remember seeing some blogs/threads which says the same, will update that as a reference here, Thanks again for sharing your knowledge 🙂
Jelena
Active Contributor
It looks like the blog has been edited already and makes more sense now. Thanks for the comment!

Proposal search feature is awesome, by the way, I'll put it on our "top 10 reasons to upgrade". 🙂
thanga_prakash
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sure thanks jelena.perfiljeva2 🙂

babu_kilari4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Good Stuff, thanks for sharing Thanga !
thanga_prakash
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks babu.kilari4 🙂
chaouki_akir
Contributor
0 Kudos
I have one question : why do you create an append ZAS_SCN to structure MEPO1211_DATA ? The field BEDNR is part of structure MEPO1211_DATA.
thanga_prakash
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi chaouki.akir

MEPO1211_DATA is include structure in MEPO1211, so we have to enhance the original structure to enhance the search help of BEDNR.
Labels in this area