Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Doc: Export for reports, function modules etc.

thkolz
Contributor

Hi there,

is there a way to export ABAP Doc also for ABAP reports or function modules from ADT?

Best regards,

Thorsten.

4 REPLIES 4

mgoebel
Explorer
0 Kudos

Do you find anything to export ABAP Doc (or similar) for ABAP Reports ? Or is it only available in SAP GUI (sap script?).

Do you find another way with a other do-generator for html to make a documentation in source code ?

0 Kudos

Did you try to use the print button in the SE38 transaction. You should be able to print something like a technical documentation

mgoebel
Explorer
0 Kudos

We are working a lot in eclipse and so i'm searching for a simple way to write the documentation in the source code directly. The ABAP Doc actually is only to work with classes and function modules but there is no way to create html-Doc out of a report.

Is it possible to write code-texts with a similiar functionality (like JavaDoc or so on) which we could use instead of abap-doc ?

0 Kudos

Hello mgoebel

I've been impressed with the functionality of document setup in the Rust language ecosystem .The standard Rust distribution ships with a tool called rustdoc. Its job is to generate documentation for Rust projects. Basically, Rustdoc takes as an argument either a crate (package? in ABAP) or a Markdown file, and produces HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. What is interesting to me is that the processing creates a new directory, doc, in the source with a website inside! If you open that up in a web browser, you will see structured documentation for your Rust development generated from the comments in the source code. In Rust, examples in the documentation are actually mini-Unit Tests - which are also run to ensure the documentation does reflect reality.

For quite some time now I've been thinking about something similar in the ABAP world. A program that would parse the comments in a package / function group / class / program etc and generate a web application serving the documentation. The web application and the content would be repository objects - served by the ABAP web server itself. The generated application and documentation would be transportable along with the rest of the source.

For me a compelling benefit of the approach is the documentation and the source code are not maintained separately in different systems but rather together in the one place.

One day - when I have a little more time for innovation 🙂

Regards

Andrew