Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the Fixed Values of a Custom Field domain.

former_member721373
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!

My requirement is that I have to change the Fixed value options of a custom field which is used as the dropdown options for this field in ME21N, me31k.

E.g.

For Fixed Values

A : Start of Trip

B : Journey overview

C : End of Trip

N: Additional Destination

Suppose i want to remove the C and B option and change the text of A option.

How can i change this . Also what effect will it have on the records which are already present in EKKO table.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

maheshpalavalli
Active Contributor

You shouldn't remove the domain values until and unless there are no records in the db without those domain values (C,B). you can check in se16n in prod by filtering on them. Else like sandra.rossi said you will get errors. and your data gets corrupted and if you are checking in the future for those old records, user will never come to know what those values(B,C) are.

You can change the text of A without the issues though, but again if you change the text to something completely new(different meaning) then again the meaning for the domain values in the old data gets changed. So if it has a completely new meaning then create a new one.

So if they are already being used, better change the description by adding something like this - "End Of Trip (DO NOT USE)" or "End Of Trip (OBSOLETE)"

3 REPLIES 3

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

I think it's easier to try yourself and get the answer immediately... Seriously, there's no check when you change and activate the domain, but it will make an error in screens that check the value and the user will have to correct the value.

maheshpalavalli
Active Contributor

You shouldn't remove the domain values until and unless there are no records in the db without those domain values (C,B). you can check in se16n in prod by filtering on them. Else like sandra.rossi said you will get errors. and your data gets corrupted and if you are checking in the future for those old records, user will never come to know what those values(B,C) are.

You can change the text of A without the issues though, but again if you change the text to something completely new(different meaning) then again the meaning for the domain values in the old data gets changed. So if it has a completely new meaning then create a new one.

So if they are already being used, better change the description by adding something like this - "End Of Trip (DO NOT USE)" or "End Of Trip (OBSOLETE)"

Yes, i had the same doubt. So there is no way to change it without disturbing the exisiting records right?
Anyways thanks 🙂