Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating a local repo for egit (Eclipse Git) to back up the work on my ABAP trial version

martincoetzee
Explorer
0 Kudos

I have done quite a lot of training and coding on my ABAP trial instance.

I was wondering if there was a way to back up the code into a git like repository before the trial expires. What I really want is to keep it simple - create a local repository using Egit and just do a push of the code to the local repo. When my trial expires, and I create a new one I could just do the reverse and do a pull to my ABAP project.

This is for an existing project. I have read dozens of blogs and online questions and just can't find a good resource to do this.

I have created the git repository.

The other issue of course is that I only want to do a push for my package. I don't want to back up the whole project. (It would be a bazillion files.)

When I right click on the project and select "Team" all resources are greyed out except for "apply patch". It is here you're supposed to add the project to the git repo.

I can't find a tutorial or something on any of the forums that focuses on adding an existing project (preferably selected packages of a project) to a local repo. Does this mean you have to add it to git when you add the project?

Or maybe when I choose the location when I create the project I need to specify the git repo instead of my workspace? I saw this done for a Java example but it was a new project so I am not sure it applies to an existing ABAP project.

I feel like I have hit a wall and some advice would be appreciated.

Best regards, Martin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

martincoetzee
Explorer
0 Kudos

So Eclipse git (Egit) requires Java to be installed on your machine. As it is a work laptop I decided not to proceed with this installation. It got very complicated with licensing and stuff. It thought this would be the short was of doin git: 1. Activate Eclipse git 2. Create local repo 3. Push package to local repo. But with the amount of admin involved and the cost this was no longer the easy option.

Instead I:

1. Created a GitHUB account and a repo where I wanted to store my development objects.

2. Implemented ABAPgit on Eclipse (not the version which is installed in the ABAP app server)

I used this link as a guide:

https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/abap-environment-abapgit.html

Althought it do not do exactly what I needed.

3. Staged the package I wanted to push to GitHUB.

4. Did a push and commit.

This worked well. I didn't really want to create a GitHUB account for this but I ended up doing that.

Once the trial version expires I can create a new trial version, set up ABAPgit on Eclipse and do a PULL and get back all the work that would have been lost. This is great. Of course the advantage of having this code pushed to GitHUB is that I can pull it from any machine while that is not true if it is a local repo.

Martin.

12 REPLIES 12

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you look at abapGit to backup a package by pushing to a ZIP file locally?

schneidermic0
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Martin,

The following tutorial should describe what how you can transfer your ABAP developments from SAP BTP, ABAP environment to a git repository using abapGit:

Push Your ABAP Source Code from SAP BTP, ABAP Environment to a GitHub Repository using abapGit

You find also more tutorials related to abapGit here:
https://developers.sap.com/tutorial-navigator.html?search=abapgit

I hope this helps.

Michael

0 Kudos

Hi Michael, I appreciate your input.

My question is about Eclipse git not ABAPgit. Do you have any info in this area?

I am on the ABAP trial version. I don't think I have access to ABAPgit. The environment is quite locked down. I tried to have a look for it but it does not seem to be present.

I thought it would be simple - activate Eclipse git, create local repo, push to local repo. It seems, nothing is simple. 🙂

Regards, Martin.

martincoetzee
Explorer
0 Kudos

sandra.rossi my question is about Eclipse git. Are you able to help in this area?

I don't think I have ABAPgit in the trial environment. It is very locked down.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Which ABAP trial are you using?

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For your information, ABAP code and related stuff are stored in many different database tables, not in files. You must use a software to convert into files = abapGit.

martincoetzee
Explorer
0 Kudos

sandra.rossi

This is an ABAP Trial version on a SAP BTP account.

I know where ABAP code is stored. That is not what I am having a problem with. The thing is abapGIT is not available to me.

My question is about Eclipse Git, do you know anything about Eclipse Git? I would appreciate some info in that area.

martincoetzee
Explorer
0 Kudos

This is the trial verions

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No offense intended, I was just asking (it happens very often that people ask a question to get something very precise but without understanding everything).

JMoutreux
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Martin ,

i think you can have abapgit on BTP trial.

you can follow the link provided by Michael.

to instal abapgit use this link https://tools.eu1.hana.ondemand.com/#abap

and you can have a free tier BTP account without expiration

see thin link https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/btp-free-tier-account.html

I hope it can help you.

martincoetzee
Explorer
0 Kudos

So Eclipse git (Egit) requires Java to be installed on your machine. As it is a work laptop I decided not to proceed with this installation. It got very complicated with licensing and stuff. It thought this would be the short was of doin git: 1. Activate Eclipse git 2. Create local repo 3. Push package to local repo. But with the amount of admin involved and the cost this was no longer the easy option.

Instead I:

1. Created a GitHUB account and a repo where I wanted to store my development objects.

2. Implemented ABAPgit on Eclipse (not the version which is installed in the ABAP app server)

I used this link as a guide:

https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/abap-environment-abapgit.html

Althought it do not do exactly what I needed.

3. Staged the package I wanted to push to GitHUB.

4. Did a push and commit.

This worked well. I didn't really want to create a GitHUB account for this but I ended up doing that.

Once the trial version expires I can create a new trial version, set up ABAPgit on Eclipse and do a PULL and get back all the work that would have been lost. This is great. Of course the advantage of having this code pushed to GitHUB is that I can pull it from any machine while that is not true if it is a local repo.

Martin.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback.