Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eclipse Debugger: Cannot parse variable name in dynamic method calls/selects

Hallo all,

I have this, kind of, annoying issue with Debugger in Eclipse: If there is a dynamic method call or select into more variables and you double click it, you wan't get it to list of displayed variables, only error message is shown, that it is not resolvable as variable, because it wrongly interprets parenthesis as a part of variable name, see screenshot.

Is there a way to fix this? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance 🙂

O.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Armin_Beil
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Thanks for reporting this. It seems rather clear that this is an ADT bug. It is also reproducible for me, we will check it.

8 REPLIES 8

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think it would be a good idea to paste the code so that people can try on their own Eclipse version...

That is a good Idea! (Just BTW, the Problem with selects persists from older Versions of ADT, I even reported it already some years back...)

Here the code:

report z_os_test_eclipse.

data:
  class_name  type string,
  method_name type string,
  matnr       type matnr,
  maktx       type maktx.

class_name = 'CL_DEMO_OUTPUT'.
  method_name = 'DISPLAY_TEXT'.

call method (class_name)=>(method_name)
    exporting text = 'Hello World!'.

select matnr maktx into (matnr, maktx)
    from makt
    up to 1 rows.
  endselect.

abo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Eclipse 2012-12, ADT 3.24.1, older backend (SAP_ABA 740), same thing.

Armin_Beil
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Thanks for reporting this. It seems rather clear that this is an ADT bug. It is also reproducible for me, we will check it.

0 Kudos

Hi,

I just wanted to check in if there is any progress in this issue?

I see, that in 3.26.2 the problem still persists...

Thank you and have a nice day!

O.

Armin_Beil
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Yes correct, it is not solved yet.

Edit: Planned to be fixed with the next ADT release. Next ADT release is planned for May 2023

Armin_Beil
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Ondrej,

it is planned to deliver the solution with the next ADT release. The next ADT release is planned for May 2023.

We reviewed the double click behavior of the ADT ABAP debugger in general and found that it is unnecessarily complex. Therefore we reworked and simplified this. Besides a few bugfixes (including your case) the main difference is that in future the selection will be less greedy.

For example lets say you have in your code the variable construct string_var+offset_var(length_var)

Previously it did not matter at which position you double clicked, the debugger always tried to be greedy and to select the full variable construct string_var+offset_var(length_var)

In future you will instead get exactly what you clicked on.

- Double click somewhere into string_var selects only string_var
- Double click somewhere into offset_var selects only offset_var
- Double click somewhere into length_var selects only length_var

If a user actually needs the value of the full construct string_var+offset_var(length_var) or of a subconstruct like string_var+offset_var then he has to use copy/paste from the editor into the variables view.

This will also apply to the mouse hover over variables, not only for the double click selection.

We think this new behavior will be more intuitive and simple. Additionally it will be less error-prone and much closer to the behavior of the SAP GUI ABAP debugger.

Best regards,
Armin

0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

this is good news, looking forward to it! 🙂

Have a nice day!

O.