Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable an inbound API call to use a background process?

srajkoppolu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I would like to provide an API of a time-intensive RFC (compiles a list from MD4C) without running into timeout issues. Would it be possible to ensure the calls are processed in a background process?

Could an oData Service be enabled that could run in a background process? How to configure that?

Would it be possible to enable SICF/HTTPS calls to use a background process?

Environment: EHP5 FOR SAP ERP 6.0 (SAP_BASIS 702 / 24)

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

You can prevent the timeout from happening, by doing a reset of the timer. You can find the solution in the forum. Of course, it's not a good solution, more a temporary workaround.

You can define it as a low priority asynchronous RFC.

There are some SAP notes.

Of course, first make sure what time is needed, to know if it's really a problem.

srajkoppolu
Explorer
0 Kudos

sandra.rossi

I will try out the option of resetting the timer. I'm assuming by showing progress in the progress bar.
Not sure how that works for an API call, but will try it out.

Also, this below gives me other ideas.
https://blogs.sap.com/2019/03/13/and-now-a-real-world-case-of-parallel-processing/

Thank you for your response and expertise.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

About "I'm assuming by showing progress in the progress bar", it's not the one I was thinking about, I would go for the redispatch.