Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indicator for Editor Line Length = 72 setting missing in ABAP Workbench NW 7.50

ChristianGünter
Contributor

Hi,

we just recognized that in the ABAP Editor settings of the ABAP Workbench the setting "Downward-Compatible Line Length (72)" is missing

in Netweaver 7.50.

Netweaver 7.40:

Netweaver 7.50:

Unfortunately we have lots of legacy code which still uses FMs REUSE_ALV_FIELDCATALOG_MERGE and  REUSE_ALV_GRID_DISPLAY. Therefore the mentioned setting is essential.

Does anybody know why it was removed? I couldn't find any information about this.

Thanks.

Regards Christian

9 REPLIES 9

SuhaSaha
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Unfortunately we have lots of legacy code which still uses FMs REUSE_ALV_FIELDCATALOG_MERGE and  REUSE_ALV_GRID_DISPLAY. Therefore the mentioned setting is essential.

I don't have the answer to your question. But i wanted to know what exactly is the problem when you do not set this flag? Can you (if possible) post screenshots too?

From my previous experiences, i have the following observations:

• If you do not set this flag and move the code to a lower ABAP release, then you may get into trouble
  • If you set this flag, then you could not create implicit enhancements

I am not sure if these points are still valid

BR,

Suhas

0 Kudos

Well the problem is, when you change code and introduce accidentialy lines with length over 72 you get a CX_SY_READ_SRC_LINE_TOO_LONG exception.

With this setting you can avoid this. So to be honest it's not essential but convenient.

As said, this is only an issue in our legacy code base when the old ALV FM are used. And i only set this flag when i have to deal with such code and the cost of replacing the old ALV FMs is too high. This is especially the case when we do some "technical mass changes" after upgrades and then it's quite annoying when the users get these errors during testing.

Christian

Juwin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You could replace REUSE_ALV_FIELDCATALOG_MERGE with something new. That cost shouldn't be too high. Especially since SAP has purposefully removed this option, I don't think you can get it back however you try.

Thanks,

Juwin

0 Kudos

You could replace REUSE_ALV_FIELDCATALOG_MERGE with something new. That cost shouldn't be too high.

Yes, I know. But in this case this is not my decision and not the intended focus of this thread.

Especially since SAP has purposefully removed this option,

If it was removed that purposefully, in my opinion there should be something official, a note, documentation or something else but i couldn't find anything.

horst_keller
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

I forwarded to WB product owners ...

0 Kudos

This Shortdump can also be avoided if one can supply DDIC structure name to I_STRUCTURE_NAME in the field catalog merge call.

lg
Janis

Meanwhile we replaced the call to FM REUSE_ALV_FIELDCATALOG_MERGE with something like this

DATA: alv                 TYPE REF TO cl_salv_table,
      lt_fieldcatalog_lvc TYPE lvc_t_fcat,
      lt_fieldcatalog_alv TYPE slis_t_fieldcat_alv.

cl_salv_table=>factory(
  IMPORTING
    r_salv_table   = alv
  CHANGING
    t_table        = table ).

cl_salv_controller_metadata=>get_lvc_fieldcatalog(
  EXPORTING
    r_columns      = alv->get_columns( )
    r_aggregations = alv->get_aggregations( )
  RECEIVING
    t_fieldcatalog = lt_fieldcatalog_lvc ).

CALL FUNCTION 'LVC_TRANSFER_TO_SLIS'
  EXPORTING
    it_fieldcat_lvc         = lt_fieldcatalog_lvc
  IMPORTING
    et_fieldcat_alv         = lt_fieldcatalog_alv
  EXCEPTIONS
    it_data_missing         = 1
    it_fieldcat_lvc_missing = 2
    OTHERS                  = 3.

0 Kudos

Yes, unfortunately in our case most of the structures aren't DDIC structures but directly defined in reports.

This functionality can be found in Utilities->More Utilities->”Force Line Length 72″