Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maintain a custom table having variable rawstring field in SM30 transaction

former_member199306
Participant
0 Kudos

hii experts,

i want to maintain a custom table in SM30 view. my table has RAWSTRING type data element and in my case it is not possible to change data element type as CHAR or LCHR . because my data not having fixed length and it will get truncated. please suggest if any alternative is possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Juwin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rawstring type of data elements are used when there are complex data structures to be stored in the database table (Check statements IMPORT/EXPORT to database/ data buffer). Since the data in Rawstring field cannot be typed in manually, the table containing such a field shouldn't ideally be edited through SM30.

Thanks,

Juwin

16 REPLIES 16

Juwin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rawstring type of data elements are used when there are complex data structures to be stored in the database table (Check statements IMPORT/EXPORT to database/ data buffer). Since the data in Rawstring field cannot be typed in manually, the table containing such a field shouldn't ideally be edited through SM30.

Thanks,

Juwin

0 Kudos

hi juwin,

yes u r right but is there any alternative solution is available for such problem??

I don't require RAWSTRING type field in SM30  but should remain in respective custom table

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try creating a maintenance view that does not include the RAWSTRING field.

Rob

0 Kudos

hi Rob,

I have tried  but get no success.

0 Kudos

0 Kudos

hi raymond,

when i have created maintenance view and display it in SM30 transaction it shows the dump as

""Ztable" must be a flat structure. You cannot use internal tables, "

"strings, references, or structures as components ."

" "

" "

0 Kudos

please provide some alternate solution.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, what is the structure (including data types) of the view that you created?

Rob

0 Kudos

hi Rob,

i just excluded the field  from maintenance view which have RAWSTING data type.

and when i execute that view it displays above short dump.

0 Kudos
  • Are there any other not-allowed fields to use maintenance dialog generator and spare a programmer
  • Did you actually used the new maintenance view to generate the dialog maintenance as well as start SM30 transaction
  • Did you forget to delete the previous dialog maintenance generated for the full table (same function group?)

Regards,

Raymond

0 Kudos
  • NO
  • yes
  • yes i have deleted the both maintenance generated dialog as well as function group.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good, but what about the data types and structure.

Rob

0 Kudos

hi rob,

please try with some example with including a field having raw string data type.

kiran_k8
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Bhupendra,

What is the enhancement Category for the z table ?

SE11>>table name>>display>>Extras>>Enhancement Category.

Did you chose "Can be Enhanced (Deep)"

K.Kiran.

0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

enhancement category for for my ztable is "can be enhanced (Deep)"

regards,

Bhupendra

former_member199306
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear,

Kiran, Rob,Raymond,Juwin

please provide any alternate solution.

if any Z development is possible then also suggest for the same.

regards,

Bhupendra