Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-Exclusive Debugging in ABAP

kk_india_2023
Explorer
0 Kudos

The Non-Exclusive Debug mode has many limitations (dis-advantages).

1. Why non-exclusive mode is still used in debugging?

2. What is the main purpose of non-exclusive mode?

3. Give me one good reason and advantage of having Non-Exclusive Debug mode?

Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I thought this mode was completely obsolete, because it's "dangerous". It's just proposed when you are not in a productive client and you have reached the maximum number of sessions. I could have forced it in the past when I had to debug an option from the SAP GUI context menu, but there are workarounds. Now, I don't see a good reason to use it. Of course, even with the "2-process debugger", you have "dangerous" options like database commit and jumps.

I'd like to know who said that the non-exclusive mode is still used for something. Is it a way to ask what the non-exclusive debugger is?

6 REPLIES 6

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why are you asking? Is it an exam question?

kk_india_2023
Explorer

Hi Matthew Billingham,

Yes you are correct. I am preparing for certification. I came across the concept of non-exclusive debug mode.

I have read only dis-advantages of non-exclusive debug mode. So I got a question that why the concept of

non-exclusive debug mode is included in all the reference books. I am searching for one good reason that why this mode is still used in ABAP Debugger.

Thank You.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I thought this mode was completely obsolete, because it's "dangerous". It's just proposed when you are not in a productive client and you have reached the maximum number of sessions. I could have forced it in the past when I had to debug an option from the SAP GUI context menu, but there are workarounds. Now, I don't see a good reason to use it. Of course, even with the "2-process debugger", you have "dangerous" options like database commit and jumps.

I'd like to know who said that the non-exclusive mode is still used for something. Is it a way to ask what the non-exclusive debugger is?

0 Kudos

Hi Sandra Rossi,

No body told me that the non-exclusive mode is used in any phase of development, testing or debugging.

The ABAP 7.5 certification guide and reference books have mentioned about non-exclusive mode in detail.

So naturally the fresher like me will get a thought that non-exclusive mode may have some importance in development.

When it is not useful in any phase of production, why should one study about this mode while preparing for certification exam.

Do you think that this concept must be removed from the reference books?

Thank you.

Concerning "The ABAP 7.5 certification guide and reference books have mentioned about non-exclusive mode", I don't know why they mentioned all that stuff "in detail".

It's important to know what it is, to not use it.

Or maybe there's something I don't know about it, but I see nothing special in the online guide: Debugging in Non-Exclusive Mode in ADT