Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To use variable name as field name

sankar1781
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts, 

I read the below thread but that goes with a structure and fieldcat methodology that will not suit my requirement. 

https://community.sap.com/t5/application-development-discussions/how-to-use-variable-as-fieldname/td...

So, please consider this request and let us know your valuable solutions/comments.

My requirement is to use the variable names as a field name.

For ex: lv_zbatch , lv_zmatnr, lv_zauto_date are the variables which I want to use these as field names (like zbatch, zmatnr, zauto_date) instead of hard coded value or using text element values.

Currently, I declared using text-001 as field name but due to code review process, I have to avoid this and go with other way solution. 

Please note, I don't have any structure and these are local variables. 

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

5 REPLIES 5

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

The following code is wrong because text-001 is for translatable texts but a field name should not be translated:

* anti-pattern
DATA(field_name_1) = text-001.
DATA(field_name_zmatnr) = 'ZMATNR'(001).

The following code is correct if the field name is used only once in the code (despite the "historic tendency in ABAP to wrap every literal in constants" (styleguides/clean-abap/CleanABAP.md at main · SAP/styleguides (github.com))):

DATA(field_name) = `ZMATNR`.

The following code is correct according to "There is a historic tendency in ABAP to wrap every literal in constants" (styleguides/clean-abap/CleanABAP.md at main · SAP/styleguides (github.com)) or if the field name is used more than once in the program:

CONSTANTS:
  BEGIN OF alv_field_names,
    zbatch TYPE string VALUE `ZBATCH`,
    zmatnr TYPE string VALUE `ZMATNR`,
  END OF alv_field_names.

There is a last solution where you get the name by combining RTTS and DESCRIBE DISTANCE, which you have to code yourself as I don't have the code available right now:

CONSTANTS alv_fields TYPE ... " any structure
DATA(alv_field_names) = zcl_abap_get_comp_names=>create( alv_fields ).
DATA(alv_field_name_zmatnr) = alv_field_names->get( alv_fields-zmatnr ).

0 Kudos

As I said, "you have to code yourself as I don't have the code available right now".

sankar1781
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sandra_Rossim

Thank you for your response.

Instead of declaring the constants or hard coded values like 'ZMATNR' , is there a way using offset or getting it from the variable lv_zmatnr. After lv_[name] , the name will be fetched as fieldname.

I also understand to achieve it by declaring a structure or the fields in the class method.  I have a similar one, defined it as a structure and derive it from the field cat. 

DATA(alv_field_names) = zcl_abap_get_comp_names=>create( alv_fields ).

Please do not post a solution. Instead, click on the "Reply" of the answer.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As Sandra referenced the style guide, I'd also add that prefixes such as lv_ are discouraged. Just use meaningful names as in all strongly typed programming languages.