Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to add few special characters in standard text (SO10 tcode)

karun_prabhu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Forum members,

I am unable to add few special characters like arrow keys in a standard text.

They are getting displayed as question mark ? whereas I am able to add other special characters like ø ß using Windows keyboard shortcuts.

Kindly assist regarding how to record such special character inputs.

15 REPLIES 15

thkolz
Contributor
0 Kudos

Strange.

German Umlaute with Alt+129, Alt+132 etc. work, but the arrows not...

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

Don't expect too much of these old technologies. Maybe there's no solution, only workarounds.

I see that you are using the obsolete SAP "PC Editor". I don't know which characters it supports. SAP has switched to Microsoft Word for maintaining texts.

Moreover, the Standard Texts are part of SAPscript, which are mostly supporting SAPscript symbols, not Unicode.

karun_prabhu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply. How to use/enable Microsoft word for maintaining texts? Can you guide me how to capture such long text input encompassing special characters in order to print them via smartform?

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

Too bad, very old ERP version... MS Word wasn't mandatory at that time. There's an option to switch. You can find it in the forum. Search "PC editor", "Word", "SO10", etc.

kasch-code
Participant

You can switch to the Word-based editor with program RSCPSETEDITOR.

Details are described in the following notes:

karun_prabhu
Active Contributor

We have enabled MS word editor. Our SAP is non-Unicode for your information.

I am able to enter special characters now but they are not getting saved properly.

They appear as 1111 when I open the editor again and also in print preview.

Kindly guide.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You SAP system is "non-Unicode", too bad, that's the problem!

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

Try to do the Smart Form preview by entering <298> <299> <300> <301> (with angle brackets) in raw format in your standard text (you may also use the + button in the toolbar, and enter the SAP character number.

Table TCP01:

298  arrowdown   U+2193
299  arrowleft   U+2190
300  arrowright  U+2192
301  arrowup     U+2191

karun_prabhu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you Sandra Rossi for your inputs. SAP character number is displayed as such in the print preview. I believe we need to switch over to Unicode in order to meet this requirement.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

hmmm same for me in an old 7.40 system, I don't know why it doesn't consider the SAP characters anymore. Maybe the Word template is buggy (see note 1091389).

By the Goto menu, you may switch to the old line editor and type it manually.

Preview using a Unicode printer:

karun_prabhu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For Unicode printing, SAP has to be in Unicode. Unfortunately our SAP is not in Unicode and with current version of SAP I will not be able to meet end user requirement.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

By the way, your text is quite unusual in SAP world, why do you use standard text to display this kind of text? Can't you use any other alternative? (e.g. HTML)

karun_prabhu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In my module pool transaction, I have provided input facility to enter long text for few fields in order to print them in smartform. End user enters long text against the fields Identification and Dimensional Check after physical inspection of material. Identification may require special characters input which is available on the material.

Is there any other way to meet my requirement?

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry to ask again, you had already answered. Not a lot of choice if you are forced to use Smart Forms, if you have a non-Unicode system and if you need to print (can be very complex). Better ask a Consulting company to analyze your system and propose a solution.

karun_prabhu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for your suggestion.