Career Corner Blog Posts
Blog posts are a great way for SAP, customers, and partners to share advice, insights into career trends, new opportunities, and personal success stories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_Cao
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Have you ever told yourself, "That okay. It was a good learning experience." when something didn’t go the way you planned it? What you've done was apply a technique called "reframing." People who use reframing are typically more successful and happier in life.

Reframing is a commonly used technique to shift perspectives - usually from a negative and limiting thought or view of a situation, towards one that is more helpful and empowered. For example, seeing failure as an opportunity to learn, and viewing a problem as an opportunity. My personal favourite is to not see home repairs as a cost, but as an investment.

As a coach, I feel the greatest satisfaction and fulfillment when I can help my clients recognize and adopt a more empowered perspective. In an earlier blog post, I shared my belief that our thoughts are the most consequential in the trio of Thought-Emotion-Behaviour. Managing our thoughts is a powerful skill to have and will serve us in many situations in life, and reframing is one of the easiest and most effective ways to do this.

Photo by Milada Vigerova on Unsplash

Here are 2 effective ways to reframe:

Content reframing:

Example - "My manager hasn't accepted my request to meet with him. I bet he's getting ready to fire me."
What else might this mean? This is a basic cause and effect scenario (X caused Y), so let's look for a different cause (meaning) for the behaviour we observe. In this case, something different than our original negative meaning.

[Content reframe] "My manager hasn't accepted my request to meet with him. His Inbox must be really full after coming back from vacation."

Note that when we think negatively about the situation, our emotions and behaviours tend to follow the negative track (i.e. feel fearful, behave aggressively or become avoidant). Conversely, when we identify other meaning, this allows us to be more empathetic and be more intentional about our actions (e.g. Send a reminder to my manager).

Context reframing:

Example - "My son talks back to me, and is very stubborn."

In what situation might this be advantageous? Context reframing takes the same behaviour and places it in a different time and place. A negative thought may actually be good under different circumstances.

[Context reframe] "My son will not yield to peer pressure, and can stand up for himself."

This form of reframing is especially helpful for leaders and managers as a reminder of situational leadership - assessing the time, audience, situation in choosing what skills, knowledge and actions to use. It is also a good reminder that our setbacks are temporary, and may yield success in a different time and place.

Reframing is more than just euphemism or replacing a negative word with a positive one. It requires being open to the possibility that another perspective can be just as valid, and then believing that it can be a reality. The new perspective can change our lives by letting go of ill feelings, giving ourselves clear purpose and agency to create change. Some people can easily reframe, while others may require more time. Regardless of how quickly you can shift your perspective, there is no one more qualified to help you with this process than a coach.

Check out more blog posts in this series: Coach's Corner.

6 Comments
manfredKlein
Participant
Hi jason.cao ,

Why not take a few steps back and look at it from a broader perspective?

Let's take, for instance, heart attack. There is normally no single reason for this unpleasant event.

There is a combination of reasons(drinking, smoking, ...).

Keeping this in mind, let's look on stuff that didn't go as planned.

Of course first come to mind the most obvious reasons. Pessimistic people tend to more sinister reasons. Optimistic tend to more colorful causes. Just don't stop there. Think of more. In the end You will probably find 5-10 reasons. Now divide the 100% through the count of reasons. So You reach an average probability of 10-20%. If you like, you can now shift a few percentages around.

Doing the math helps you to take a little emotion out of the game. Seeing things less fatalistic or too naïve.

Works as well with consequences. Of course some results are bad. But how says my wife? Nothing is as bad as it isn't good for something. Don't stop by mentioning the first and foremost consequence of a given event. Continue counting. Do the math. Analyze. Brace Yourself(20%). Emphasize the upsides(80%).

We have a saying here: Prepare for the worst, expect the best.

According the murphy's law, having a plan B results in not needing one.

Have a nice day,

Manfred Klein

Vaishnavi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the blog post! I must say that the example you've given for Content Framing is a pretty good one. There are numerous such thoughts we tend to think through the day! We bank on so many assumptions and biases and negativity is sometimes so instant I feel.

I didn't know that the concept was called "reframing", but I started practicing this maybe from a year ago. It definitely brought about a change in my attitude and thinking.

Regards,

Vaishnavi
Jason_Cao
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi vaishnavipe,

Thank you for your comment and for taking the time to read the post!
You are so right that we have accumulated many negative or biased-thoughts that they dominate our minds, and even form our instincts. The challenge is to overcome these instincts, and it sounds like you are well-versed in this practice already. 🙂
Jason_Cao
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi manfred.klein3 !

Thanks very much for sharing this approach! I like the idea of taking the emotion out of the scenarios - giving us a broader perspective and a reality check. I like to use the example of a medical doctor's approach to diagnosing health related symptoms. When we visit a doctor about a persistent headache, we might be fearing a brain tumor, but the approach of the doctor is to go through a checklist of most common causes first and not jumping to the worst-case scenario. This has a very comforting effect and we can all learn from this approach as well. 🙂
mary_park
Explorer
Thank you, Jason.  I think reframing helps to build our ability to empathize.  We are practicing seeing a situation through more than one lens.
Jason_Cao
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Agreed, mary.park ! Once we've developed the intention and practice of seeing situations from different perspectives, empathy becomes part of our new thought process. 🙂