Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice to keep SAP CRM Running 24/7

former_member528753
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi SAP CRM Experts,

We are using SAP CRM IC to run a telehealth business which needs to be operating 24/7.

The SAP servers are in AWS and already done a high availability setup- two zones Zone1 and Zone2 (DR).

However, business is having pain points that they could not use the system when:

1. Production system is conducting windows patching - Switching zones are not seamless thereby a 1 hour outage/fortnight

2. There is a CRM deployment 1 hour outage/fortnight is also required to avoid the 'Class mismatching' dumps.

For the above scenarios, the current process is to ask users to capture the information in a excel form and then manually enter into CRM once the system is available. Given this time consuming process, there is a requirement from business to have a solution that could avoid users to use manual forms/manually entering the information back to CRM.

My questions is do you have any recommendations about how the solution will be from infrastructure or app solution perspective in a cost effective way?

Some ideas I am considering:

- Create some sort of webform to capture the data and load it back to CRM automatically when system is available

- Create a Offline UI5 app and buffer the data till system is available

Happy to discuss.

Thanks,

Donny

View Entire Topic
Sigrid
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Donny,

In general, I think your question is not specific to SAP CRM product but might be comparable to other products which use a browser based UI on an application running on SAP NetWeaver or Application Server ABAP.

I just wonder why switching zones is not seamless. How do you make sure that an http request is sent to servers in one zone when the other zone is upgraded? I assume that there is a load balancer in place? Do you use a SAP web dispatcher?

If yes, you might have a look to KBA 1954574 and SAP Note 2567630 as this might prevent that a request is sent to an server which has been switched off due to a new ESID determination optimized for load balanching.

Best Regards,
Sigrid

former_member528753
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Sigrid,

Thanks for the reply and I have updated the tags accordingly. We do use load balance and web dispatcher in our landscape.

"not seamless" is because the current setup does not allow co-current message server and database running meaning during the patching when we need to switch from one message server and database to another ones. The in-fly transactions will then be impacted even the majority of sessions will be restored after the fail over but business still consider that as a interruption to user sessions as our users are handling sensitive medical related data. Therefore, we will still need a outage to make sure the information is properly captured even it is offline.

Thanks,

Donny