Enterprise Architecture Blog Posts
Need a little more room to share your thoughts with the community? Post a blog in the SAP Enterprise Architecture group to explain the more complex topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Priscilla_D
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Welcome to "Knowledge Sharing Across the Globe," a blog post series dedicated to unraveling unparalleled insights into the SAP AppHaus Network enterprise architecture (EA) community. In this series, we embark on a journey of discovery, exploring how this community serves as a hub of innovation, collaboration, and knowledge exchange.  

Peter Pic.jpg

Part 1: Launching an Enterprise Architecture Community across the SAP AppHaus Network 

In 2023, the SAP AppHaus Network launched the enterprise architecture (EA) community. It aims at leveraging the EA expertise across the globe and at learning from other network members and SAP experts. In an interview, the community lead, Peter Kaiser shares insights about how it all started, its value to the SAP AppHaus Network and the journey so far. 

Peter, how did it all start? 

To begin with, when I joined the SAP AppHaus team, partners were already actively sharing knowledge in different channels but there was an increasing need to exchange also on architectural thinking. Hence, the idea to create an architectural thinking community in addition to the other communities that focus on topics like design and communication to have its members discuss more technical topics. The EA community is made up of enterprise architects, solution architects, software architects, and similar proficiencies that exchange and discuss topics on a technical level. 

Pitching this idea to the SAP AppHaus Network members was the initial start of the community and it quickly became clear that interest and demand was high. Subsequently, lots of people started signing up and, as of now, there are about 125 active members, including SAP colleagues. The first community call took place in March 2023, followed by 14 community calls scheduled afterwards with continuous, increasing interest. 

What is enterprise architecture all about? 

Every company may experience architectural challenges where there will be a need for architects, be it enterprise, solution, or software architects to take care of those technical problems. Therefore, enterprise architecture focuses on the complete enterprise and serves as a guiding force that helps organizations navigate the complexities of technology and business alignment, driving efficiency, innovation, and strategic success. To summarize this, enterprise architecture ensures that innovation projects remain feasible in a realistic and holistic approach. 

Enterprise architecture has many benefits in a company because it ensures that IT systems and business processes work cohesively, supports organizations in adopting innovative technologies and adapts to changes in the business environment. It thereby helps organizations design scalable and high-performing systems and more. 

What is the value/benefit of the community for the SAP AppHaus Network partners? 

The enterprise architecture community provides many benefits such as ensuring that the EAs’ are not alone and can ask for advice if confronted with complex and sometimes challenging projects. It also strengthens the importance of EA in the DNA of companies beyond the existing collaboration among technical experts. Additionally, it helps expand the partners’ SAP network and significantly enhances the professional journey of architects. Because it offers a platform for learning, collaboration, and continuous improvement in the dynamic field of EA.  

The community's biggest value might be the diversity of topics relevant to our members. We try to always be agile and stay top-of-mind. For example, the trending topic in 2023 was - no surprise - generative AI (Gen AI). We introduced the topic by creating initial info packages and hosting expert sessions to ramp up the enterprise architecture community members at an early point in time.  

As the community leader, how has the journey been so far?  

When I joined the SAP AppHaus team in February 2023, I did not know I would be leading such a successful community. When the opportunity arose to create this platform of exchange, I took it as a challenge. I did not know how to set it up, and even less how to turn it into a success story. Believe me, it is always a challenge to bring different architects and technical people to one table. But it was clear that an expert exchange on a topic like enterprise architecture would be relevant for our members.  

And not to forget, my strong technical background in SAP technology as well as my enthusiasm served as a kind of “superpower” that has helped me set up this active community. My technology knowledge enabled me to pitch this idea to the partners and other SAP colleagues with ease. In 2023, the rise of Gen AI gave the whole topic of enterprise architecture another push and helped attract more participants and members to join the community. The one thing that did not change was my approach to bringing people together by looking for expert speakers and practitioners for different sessions and topics and use cases. 

Stay tuned for Part 2 of this knowledge sharing series on the SAP AppHaus EA community to understand how the exchange is facilitated and how collaboration is encouraged within the community.

Peter.jpgContact: 

Dr. Peter Kaiser 

Enterprise Architecture Community Lead

SAP AppHaus 

peter.kaiser@sap.com 

Headshot 1.0.jpegContact: 

Priscilla Darfour

Working Student, Coordination & Communication Support

SAP AppHaus 

priscilla.darfour@sap.com 

1 Comment
MartinMysyk
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

This is great to hear that the AppHaus network has such an initiative.  Many people are probably not aware that there are Enterprise Architect folks that exist to help customers in this group.  Looking forward to the posts and content out of the group going forward.