Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by Members
Gain new perspectives and knowledge about enterprise resource planning in blog posts from community members. Share your own comments and ERP insights today!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RaviDave
Active Participant
Note: Automatic Reorder Point (MRP Type: V2 or VM) Planning - Part 1: Automatic Reorder Point - Part 1

Carry out Automatic reorder point and calculation of it:

Below is how automatic reorder point planning is carried out for single material using material master change (t-code: MM02)

MRP 1 View

Note: Validate that Reorder Point is blank.

MRP 2 View

Forecasting View

Note: Forecasting model, I am keeping J - Automatic model selection and Initialization: X - Initialization by system

Consumption Data Update

Note: Consumption data can be loaded as part of new item creation/migration or can be auto capture based on movement types (planned vs Unplanned)

Execute Forecast

Forecast: Model Selection

Calculation of MAD, Error Total, Safety Stock, Reorder Point

Forecast: Parameters for Automatic Model Selection

Safety Stock Update on MRP 2 View

Reorder Point Update on MRP 1 View

Below is a detailed explanation of how Error Total & MAD is being calculated (I have shown the formula as per excel). Remember we wanted to know MAD calculation because it's in calculating safety stock and eventually automatic reorder point calculation.

Error Total: A forecast error is a difference between the forecast value and the actual consumption value of the same period. The error total describes the sum of the deviations over the periods, taking the plus or minus sign into an account. The error total helps check the validity of the forecast model in operation. If a model is still valid, you can assume that the error total is distributed normally and has an average of zero.

ET Calculation

As shown above, based on Original forecast, system carries out Ex-Post forecast. Difference between Corrective Historical Forecast - Ex post forecast is giving Deviation in that period. Sum of each deviation converted to absolute value gives Error Total. Below is the formula.

ET Calculation

MAD: Below shows how MAD is calculated:

MAD Calculation\

Tracking signal (TS): The tracking signal (TS) helps identify structural interruptions by putting the error total in relation to MAD. If the error total rises or falls sharply in relation to MAD, this means that the consumption and forecast are moving further apart.

• TS = Error Total / MAD

• The TS is compared to the tracking limit specified in the material master. If the TS exceeds the tracking limit, the MRP controller receives an exception message in the form of a note advising that the forecast model should be checked.

• The tracking limit is automatically set by the system. The default value is 4. However, you can change it while maintaining the material master record.

Since now we know how system is calculating automatic reorder point, here are the other alternatives to run the program and calculate automatic reorder point.

• Individual forecast: T-code: MP30 (or T-code: MM02 which I shown above)

• Total forecast: T-code: MB38 or MPBT.

You can print the list online or in the background mode. T-code: MP39 or MPDR.

Conclusion:

• Automatic reorder point calculation is another great way to manage inventory for class B and C items based on historic consumption.

• Automatic reorder point planning helps to bring on-hand inventory down

If you find my blog useful, please like and share your feedback in the comments below and follow me for more content like the above.

Reference: Forecast Formulas

Please follow my profile for future posts (ravidave2)

Topic Page (find the most relevant one –  https://community.sap.com/topics/)

Ask questions about MM (Materials Management) and follow ( https://answers.sap.com/tags/477297786799213261950044802925335)

Read other MM (Materials Management) blog posts and follow ( https://blogs.sap.com/tags/477297786799213261950044802925335/)
17 Comments
0 Kudos
Excellent demonstration. Love Excel formulas to understand the calculation. Thank you for sharing.
SaniketK
Participant
ravidave2 I read part 1 and 2 both, you have used very useful demonstration data and realistic examples. Thanks for sharing...
RaviDave
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Saniket,

I appreciate your feedback. I am glad that it's helpful for the community.

Regards,

Ravi.

m_salah
Discoverer
Appreciate your Blog , but i have these questions

How the numbers of MAD is being calculated

And how to calcutae daily requirement for Reorder Point Calculation ?

Also why you have defaulted Delta=.30

RaviDave
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi,

I am glad that it's helpful. Here is the actual Excel calculation. I have uploaded the file on google drive. You will get it if you go cell by cell on the MAD column.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15hx5saW3u6y7LyFTRxdeN1UyUG8f4yQF/edit?usp=drive_link&ouid=10...

If you really want to debug, then put a breakpoint at."

MAD is calculated in Program LSPRGF00 Form MAD_BERECHNEN.

Line RECHFELD2 = PCOM-VMMAD + PCOM-DELTA * ( RECHFELD1 - PCOM-VMMAD ) / 100 calculates the MAD."

My understanding is SAP uses forecast and Ex forecast to calculate daily requirements.

Delta comes as default based on the forecast model. I have selected it automatically.

Regards,

Ravi.

hvlsupport
Discoverer
Hello, I did not see from the excel calculation how you arrive at 148 Reorder Point. Can you please share.

Thank you. Your blog is very helpful. I'm glad to read it.
RaviDave
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi,

I am glad it's very useful. I have published the calculation on Google Docs. Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15hx5saW3u6y7LyFTRxdeN1UyUG8f4yQF/edit?usp=drive_link&ouid=10...

Regards,

Ravi.
former_member865881
Discoverer
Awesome article,very easy to understand, it helped us to resolve our production issue.
hvlsupport
Discoverer
Hello,

Prompted with Unauthorized 401. I sent a request for access please.

Thank you.

RaviDave
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Thank you !! I appreciate your comment.

Regards,

Ravi.
RaviDave
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Marilou,

I have given access. Can you please try again?

Regards,

Ravi.
0 Kudos
Hi, This is very helpful and very well explained.

Regards,

Dev.

dankanv45
Explorer
This MRP concept is not easy to understand on your own, so this blog makes it very simple and easy to understand. Thank You
andrewd179
Explorer

Very nice article indeed. Thanks a lot.

loumui
Explorer
0 Kudos

Excellent Document, Thanks For Sharing

turgut_bekil
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Ravi, I need to upload consumtion values of the material as bulk to the system ? how can I do it ? System is S4HANA and full system will be going onlive january 2024 so all materials are newly created and have no history in S4 system. Customer have consumtion values in excels (from old non sap erp) and want to use MRP type =VM by uploading the data at hand.
RaviDave
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi,

Please take a look blog: https://blogs.sap.com/2014/06/18/upload-material-consumption-data-into-ecc-fm-mvermaintaindark/

Good luck !!!

Regards,

Ravi.

Labels in this area