Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by SAP
Get insights and updates about cloud ERP and RISE with SAP, SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, and more enterprise management capabilities with SAP blog posts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
badal_bhasin
Explorer

1.    Objective

The objective of this blog is to explain how to convert material quantity unit into base unit or another alternative unit of measure as per MARM table (defined in material master).

2.    Requirement

Requirement is to fetch material quantity from a DB table and then display that quantity on screen. But the unit of measure in which material quantity needs to be displayed on UI can be different than the unit of measure in which it is saved. The standard quantity conversion function ‘UNIT_CONVERSION’ which is provided in CDS can’t be used in this case as it performs the unit conversion based on the rules stored in transaction CUNI and in the database tables T006. But in our scenario, we need to perform material quantity conversion based on the alternative unit of measures defined in material master (available in MARM table).

Let’s take the below example:

Material Base Unit of Measure = ‘CV’ (Case)

Alternate Unit of measure maintained in material master are: ‘PC’ (Piece) & ‘PAL’(Pallet).

Entries in MARM table:

In CDS view, quantity will be fetched from database table & then it will check if the Unit of measure in which quantity needs to be displayed on UI is different from unit of measure stored in database table, then it will get the conversion formula maintained (in MARM) using associations on standard CDS view I_PRODUCTUNITSOFMEASURE. Therefore the quantity will be converted to the base unit of measure and then it will be converted from base unit of measure to the display unit of measure.

3.    Design

The following steps explain step by step configuration:

• Create a CDS view and fetch the quantity data from the DB table.

• In that CDS view make an association on SAP standard CDS view I_MATERIAL (CDS view for MARA table) to get the material base unit of measure.

• Two times Association or Left outer join on I_PRODUCTUNITSOFMEASURE (Standard CDS view of MARM table) using key Material and unit of measure. One with the Display Unit of measure and one with unit of measure in which quantity is stored in DB.

4.    Coding

Create the below CDS View:
@AbapCatalog.sqlViewName: 'ZMATQUAN'
@AbapCatalog.compiler.compareFilter: true
@AccessControl.authorizationCheck: #CHECK
@EndUserText.label: 'Material Quantity'
define view Z_MATERIAL_QUANTITY
with parameters
p_disp_unit : meins
as select from zmat_quan as MatQuan

// For Base Unit of Measure
association [0..1] to I_Material as _MARA on MatQuan.matnr = _MARA.Material

// Association on CDS view of MARM table
association [0..1] to I_ProductUnitsOfMeasure as _ProductUnitUI on _ProductUnitUI .Product = MatQuan.matnr
and _ProductUnitUI .AlternativeUnit = :p_disp_unit

association [0..1] to I_ProductUnitsOfMeasure as _ProductUnitEntryUnit on MatQuan.matnr = _ProductUnitEntryUnit.Product
and MatQuan.qty_unit = _ProductUnitEntryUnit.AlternativeUnit

{
bukrs,
plant,
matnr as Material,
del_quan as DeliveryQuantity,
qty_unit as DeliveryUnit,
$parameters.p_disp_unit as DispUnit,
_ProductUnitUI,
_ProductUnitEntryUnit,
_MARA.Material as mat,
case
when MatQuan.qty_unit = :p_disp_unit
then del_quan
else
case
when _MARA.MaterialBaseUnit = $parameters.p_disp_unit
then del_quan* DIVISION( (_ProductUnitEntryUnit.QuantityNumerator), (_ProductUnitEntryUnit.QuantityDenominator), 3)
else
del_quan* DIVISION( (_ProductUnitEntryUnit.QuantityNumerator*_ProductUnitUI.QuantityDenominator), (_ProductUnitEntryUnit.QuantityDenominator*_ProductUnitUI.QuantityNumerator), 3)
end
end as DisplayQuantity
}

5.    Test

• Data in the custom table:

• Execute the CDS View & provide Display Unit of Measure (In which unit result is required). In our case we are providing ‘ST’ (which is internal format for ‘PC’ Piece).

• Result:

The material quantity is successfully converted into Piece from Pallet.

6.    Limitations

• All unit of measure’s (Base as well as alternative) in which quantity conversion is required should be maintained in material master.

9 Comments
UxKjaer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Cool stuff. Straight forward example.

Well done!
gaurav_sharan
Explorer
Awesome !! really helpful.
I044433
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Excellent blog and a very good example of currency conversion!

Thanks for sharing!

Informative Blog...

Well Explained with example...

Thanks for sharing ...

well explained with good example.
0 Kudos
Excellent Blog, very well explained
0 Kudos
Excellent Blog, easy to understand and to the point.
tiago_silva
Explorer
Helpful! Thanks!
shansenanalytics
Explorer
Hi,

i would share some additional helpful information for all those who will read this blog.

We had the issue that the mentioned division above results in some rounding differences.
del_quan* DIVISION( (_ProductUnitEntryUnit.QuantityNumerator), (_ProductUnitEntryUnit.QuantityDenominator), 3)

So if someone has the same problem- "just" use the multiplication with your origin key figure inside the funktion division().

then DIVISION( (del_quan *_ProductUnitEntryUnit.QuantityDenominator), (_ProductUnitEntryUnit.QuantityNumerator), 6)

@Semantics.quantity.unitOfMeasure: 'TargetUnit'
@DefaultAggregation : #SUM
@EndUserText.label: 'Auslieferung TUnit'
case
when DeliveryQuantityUnit = :p_disp_unit or OutbDelItem.OriginalDeliveryQuantity = 0
then OutbDelItem.OriginalDeliveryQuantity
else
case
when BaseUnit = $parameters.p_disp_unit
then Division( ( OutbDelItem.OriginalDeliveryQuantity *_ProductUnitEntryUnit.QuantityDenominator) ,_ProductUnitEntryUnit.QuantityNumerator , 2)
else
DIVISION((OutbDelItem.OriginalDeliveryQuantity * (_ProductUnitEntryUnit.QuantityNumerator*_ProductUnitUI.QuantityDenominator) ), (_ProductUnitEntryUnit.QuantityDenominator*_ProductUnitUI.QuantityNumerator) , 6)
end
end
as OutboundDeliveryQuantityBas,

hope it will help you.

thanks a lot

Simon