cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative Item Group, Discontinuation, Phantom Item or none of them?

ziolkowskib
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

I was asked to handle very similar case to the one specified in the following thread:

https://archive.sap.com/discussions/thread/3546977

Generally speaking there is material FINAL_PRODUCT that can be created using three alternative materials A, B and C. The materials as such are almost identical (procured from different vendors) so any of them could be used to produce FINAL_PRODUCT. The thing is that my customer would like to use up what is left of materials A and B before using any of material C.

In other words:

For producing 1 FINAL_PRODUCT we need 100 PC of material A or 100 PC of material B or 100 PC of material C. Let's say we are in situation when we have available 20 PC of material A, 40 PC of material B and 120 PC of material C. In this case I would like to end up with Production Order with following components/quantities:

Material A: 20 PC

Material B: 40 PC

Material C: 40 PC

After my reasearch I am under impression that:

1. I can't use discontinuation here (Multi Level Discontinuation not suported)

2. When I use Alternative Item Group with strategy 2 only one (the available one) of the components is used (in my example that would be material C) which does not satisfy my requirement. I was trying to play a bit with ABAP (exit EXIT_SAPLATPC_002) but with rather poor results.

3. In this thread (https://archive.sap.com/discussions/thread/3546977) someone mentioned using Phantom Items. I tried to follow the example but if that is possible then I did something incorrectly. I defined material A as component of FINAL_PRODUCT with special procurement = 50. Next I defined material B as component of material A with special procurement = 50. Finally I defined material C as component of material B. As the final result only material C was allocated in my Production Order.

Does anyone have any suggestions how this can be handled using preferably standard or custom (ABAP) solution?

Thanks in advance for your support.

View Entire Topic
jessica_li
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have to say none of mentioned 3 options can fulfill your requirement.

1. Multi Level Discontinuation not supported

2. Alternative group with strategy 2 will priority the component which has full available qty.

3. Phantom material doesn't have component requirement, thus requirement all transfers to C.

However, I suggest you test alternative group with strategy 1 and all with usage probability 100%, set A as priority 1, B =2, C=3. Hope this can help fulfill your business requirement.

best regards,

Jessica Li