Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Position deactivation

inepre1
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

In my company, we have A LOT of empty positions in pos. management. These are there of various reasons, but the majority of them are empty positions that have never and will never be used. What is the best way to delete these positions? As I see it, it is also a risk to delete a position holding lower level positions.

If anyone faced something similiar, I would also be very much intereseted in how you created reports to capture such info.

Thanks.

Br,

Ines

View Entire Topic
nlgro023
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You could technically create a canvas report, but I'd definitely prefer a story report. Essentially you take position as the base table and from there you navigate to incumbent (in some cases incumbents - it doesn't seem 100% steady on which 1 to use). That way you'll see if someone is at least on a position and you could use an aggregate table to see how many there are on the respective positions (0 would be a good indicator for empty).

The only gap you may have are future hires (long story short, just get a job info report with future hires and do a lookup on the positions that you'll deem to be empty - by far the easiest approach).

For the targeted positions, you may want to remove the parent position as of a certain date first (that way hierarchies are no longer an issue), the only downside is that there could hypothetically a some employees in the reporting line somewhere (which should in any given way be dealt with separately). After those hierarchies are out of the way, you can deactivate as of a certain date (you could try to do both at once, I've however had some bad experiences with that due to hierarchies) either via import, mass change or integration center. You could still struggle with certain data in the positions, but that is inevitable either way.

inepre1
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jasper,

I just raised a question regarding canvas and report stories not showing the same results when trying to find all active, vacant positions in the system. Do you know which field to use?

I filter on Position status: Active, User ID: Blank to see all vacant, active positions, but this didn't show the right values, so I removed the filtering from User ID and then identified that multiple vacant, positions were appearing as not vacant in story report. In the user id columns, some users that were previously employed was shown.

"That way you'll see if someone is at least on a position and you could use an aggregate table to see how many there are on the respective positions (0 would be a good indicator for empty)." How do you set this up in report story?

Highly appreciate your answer.