cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up event reason and workflow combination?

DannyC3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi There,

Our organization is currently having an issue where most transactions in the system would set in an employee's record with the event reason of "Data Change". So if an employee was promoted, demoted, changed roles, etc, then their record would only list in the employee's record that they had a Data Change. This makes it difficult to get accurate reporting of what has taken place with an employee's record since most transactions would have the same event reason.

We have done some testing and found that in our event reason business rule, the logic for other event reasons were below the "Data Change" event reason logic. So we modified the business rule and moved the other event reasons, such as "Promotion" to the top, so that they would be referred to first if the correct conditions were set in a transaction.

The correction made to the event reasons seems to be working fine, but we have found that the workflow associated with the event reason is not correct. We found in our business rules for workflows, that there isn't a rule for triggering a specific workflow for the event reason of "Promotion". We have added logic for the "Promotion" event reason to trigger a specific workflow. When we did a test, it was still generating the "Promotion" event reason, with the workflow for a position change.

Not sure if anyone else has encountered this problem before. Thought that I would ask to see what others may have done to correct something like this?

Regards.

Danny

View Entire Topic
nlgro023
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Event (Reason) Derivation and Workflows can be a complex combi, which if redone, can be a mini project of its own and you are now seeing why I suppose. The best thing to do is likely setting up a rule trace and seeing what is being triggered, because there's likely still something off in the business rule (and the rule trace can tell that much better than we can here).

DannyC3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jasper,

Thanks for the tip. I did run a rule trace and I found a couple of business rules that were being triggered before the rules we have set for Event Reasons and Workflows. Apparently, there are 2 business rules, which are exactly the same, that are set to trigger a Transfer Event if a certain event reason is selected. I suspect that these rules may be taking priority over the Event Reasons and Workflow business rules and the fact that they are placed higher in the list of business rules to execute in the Job Info portlet in Manage Business Configuration.