cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub-Goals in the Latest Version of Goal Management

VP4
Discoverer
0 Kudos

We have upgraded to the Latest Version of Goal Management in our Test environment. We noticed that there is no option to create sub-goals when adding a new performance goal.

We will convert the 2023 Goal plan template when we upgrade to the Latest Version of Goal Management in Production in the beginning of 2024, but we are concern about what is going to happen with the sub-goals that employees currently have in their 2023 Goal Plan.

Questions: Will the sub-goals disappear from their 2023 Goal Plan after the upgrade in Production? Is there a workaround?

I was wondering if other companies faced the same issue with sub-goals not being supported in the Latest Version of Goal Management and what workaround you took so that the employees don't loose their current sub-goals.

Thanks.

Julia_Gaskell
Participant
0 Kudos
We have the same issue, tens of thousands of goals with tasks in a table that it seems will not migrate with the new goal management - is there a solution yet?
View Entire Topic
Sam_Passman
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

When upgrading Performance Goals to the latest version, the only thing that happens to legacy goal plans is that they become read only.   The goal plans themselves are not upgraded, so there is no impact to existing subgoals within a goal.   

Additionally, not all subgoals have been deprecated.   We still support milestone sub goals, as indicated in the config guide details here...
https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_SUCCESSFACTORS_PERFORMANCE_AND_GOALS/4a24e48b5c384b18a81f6b661305021e/...

Julia_Gaskell
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi @Sam_Passman,

I am in a separate blog with @VanessaLi, and I am still a little confused about this and what we need to do.

We have not upgraded yet. We have tens of thousands of active goals in several active goal plans that need to remain editable after the upgrade, and they contain tasks. We have been told that tasks will not be editable after the upgrade. I thought we had to convert all the active goal plans to the new version after the upgrade. The proposal seems to be that we run an adhoc report to export all the existing goals and tasks. We then add new Milestone fields to the active goal plans and permission them accordingly. We then somehow setup a file to re-import all the goals to update them with milestones and remove the tasks. Then we do the upgrade and convert the goal plans. This is a mammoth task for us, and it seems that it could easily cause incorrect data, with this upload.

Is there no way to keep these tasks on our goals? We have goals for 2023 and 2024 already in this format. We are not in a situation where we can close out some goal plans, do the upgrade and then launch new goal plans.

Thanks for your feedback.

Julia

Sam_Passman
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hey Julia!

Let me try and clarify, as I think some things are are getting confused in translation.   What Vanessa is saying is not inaccurate, however what you do and don't need I think is getting muddied...

1. In 1H 2024 (May) there will be an "Opt-Out" Universal Push of the new goals.    This means that for your current in progress Goal Plans, you will in fact have the option of choosing to "Opt-out" of the upgrade, once it is pushed.  This is specific for the May release.
  2. In other words, in May you can choose to revert to the legacy version for your "in progress" goal plans for your users, and there will be ZERO impact to your current users that have active goals plans with sub goals created.   They can continue to interact with the goals in the goal plan as though the push never happened.
  3. In November of 2024 however, there will in fact be a universal push of the latest Goal Plan to customers.  At that point, all existing legacy goal plans will become read only (as Vanessa describes).  Goals from the legacy read only Goal Plan CAN in fact be used for the end of the year Performance Process (including all the subgoal table data), without any issues, with the exception that users will not be able to add or edit goals to their 2024 Goal Plans after the new release at the end of November (neither directly in the Goal Plan nor from the Performance Form).
  4. Bottom line, if your users are able to get all goal updates in for 2024 by end of November, and you don't need them to edit goals in December, then you can certainly do nothing for the 2024 Goal Plans, other than choosing to remain on legacy goals in May.  Then you just need to use a new goal plan template (either from scratch or converted) for you 2025 Goal Plan roll out!

I hope this clarifies things.  Vanessa' instructions are 100% accurate if you want to move users to the new Goal Plan layout NOW, or if employees still MUST be able to edit goals in December.