Melbourne Blog Posts
Find the latest news, discover community events in Melbourne, share your expertise on SAP and non-SAP topics, and learn from others via blogs posts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pjcools
Active Contributor

When I organised last year's SAP Community running event here in Melbourne I was blown away by the support from SAP Community members around the world. Absolutely awesome. If you tuned in for this last year you would have known that on the 1st June 2022 Melbourne had possibly the worst weather of the entire year. 🙂 It was seriously bad which meant that only machillanda and I ran. I am hoping that the weather this year will be better!!

This year the #GlobalRunningDay will be held on Wednesday 7th June 2023 but you can run or walk virtually anytime between 3rd June and 11th June so get ready to get your running shoes on. This will be our second SAP Community running event in Melbourne and I am so excited for this.

All SAP Community members are welcome and if you don’t want to run - you can walk or cycle!

The plan is to meet in the morning and run around the tan which is a very well known running track. As per the below diagram we will meet at the Pillars of Wisdom. The track is around 3.8km.

Map of the tan

A more detailed map is here:

Event Information

Date: Wednesday 7th June 2023

Time: 7:30am (AEST - Melbourne Time)

Activity: Run/Walk/Cycle around the tan

After: Head to the SAP Mastering conference in Melbourne for the start of the conference - starting at 8:30am AEST.

Join Us! 

Last year we created a running group in Melbourne on the Global Running Day website however all of this has changed. Teams are no longer registered but we have something better. We have set up an event in the SAP Community so please register and let us know whether you will be joining us via this link: Global Running Day - Melbourne.

On The Day

On the day itself we would welcome everyone adding a comment on this post with a photo and running times (optional) using hashtags #GlobalRunningDay and #SAPCommunity. Those that do (from the 3rd June to 11th June) will earn a badge showcasing their support for this initiative and to also recognise their contributions in the SAP Community.

Here is what the cool badge looks like:

SAP Community Global Running Day badge

You can also tell us about the event in your country/city/location in this Coffee Corner discussion - feel free to share photos and how it all goes! Hopefully weather is good everywhere on the day!

Global Callout

Last year I had other SAP Community buddies answer my call to support the Global Running Day in their country. This was pretty cool so here is hoping we can all do this together again in 2023.

dj.adams.sap - ran in Manchester! With your Narrow boat coming along mate will you be on the water or on land? 🙂

thomas.zurek - ran in Walldorf

l_stodal - ran in Mannheim

stephaniedecamara.marley - ran in Philadelphia

katherine.kenneally - ran in Ireland

Looking forward to hearing about other events around the world!

Not long now and I cannot wait to see everyone in action. 

36 Comments
TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
Hi Phil - I will be walking in Northern Virginia.  Have a lovely run in Melbourne
sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Yay! I am really looking forward to it! I also bought new running shoes this weekend so maybe I am faster now 😉
Great initiative and I will join from Lampertheim, Germany, where I live. Will definitely share some pics 🙂
anne-petteroe
Community Manager
Community Manager

Although I am injured and technically shouldn't be running, I will be running in Oslo, Norway 😊
This is a good excuse to put my running shoes back on, if only for one day for now. 
(and hopefully I will run with other colleagues+++ here)

qmacro
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
I'll be taking part!
KarthikCheers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
At SAP Labs India, Bangalore - SAP Roadies (employees running interest group) will organize a run in the campus on 7th June. thanks.
mynynachau
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
pjcools
Active Contributor
Love the commitment petteroe - hopefully you pull through ok!! Will look forward to some pics!
pjcools
Active Contributor
Awesome karthikeyan.b - thanks for the support!!
pjcools
Active Contributor
Thanks tammy.powlas3 - enjoy your walk and thanks for supporting!
pjcools
Active Contributor
Thanks svea.becker - wowowowow - love running in new shoes! Looking forward to you sharing your fast times with us! 🙂
pjcools
Active Contributor
Thanks dj.adams.sap - appreciate your support mate.
pjcools
Active Contributor
Thanks mynyna.chau - cool. Hopefully you get some people join you!!
RichBlumberg
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Looking forward to joining the Greater Philadelphia "virtual" crowd to either jog, walk or cycle!
When the SAP Community joins forces around the world...good things come from it!

Look forward to sharing a photo (or two) and seeing everyone as well!:-)

stephaniedecamara.marley wrote a blog which shares more "Philly" details...
Global Running Day with SAP Community (June 7) "Get out to smell the roses"
WalterK
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Taking advantage of the nice #Perth weather to get a run in early (forecast for the next few days is rain!)

Long Run - 8km #GlobalRunningDay #NYRRVirtualRacing #sapcommunity #sapcommunityrun

• Distance
    8.18 km

• Pace
    5:15 /km

• Time

42m 56s

Flavio
Active Contributor

Nice initiative, did it a little bit early, and here it is: 8K on the shore of Oglio river, north Italy 😉

#GlobalRunningDay #SAPCommunity.

sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Wow! Great time 🙂
Thanks for sharing!
sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Thanks for having been part of this initiative 🙂
jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
I wish I could be running in Australia. Instead, I'll be at my local park (as I am most days) showing my support (along with other members of the Newtown Square group!). #SAPCommunity #GlobalRunningDay

tbroek
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Great initiative Phil!

here are a few km from Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
#SAPCommunity #GlobalRunningDay

Running day tbroek

pjcools
Active Contributor
Excellent running walter.koenders1 - thanks for your support!!
pjcools
Active Contributor
Nice flavio.ciotola - Italy - amazing!!! Well done and thanks for the support!!
pjcools
Active Contributor
Nice jerry.janda - thanks for your support mate and hope you are well!!
pjcools
Active Contributor
Awesome tbroek - thanks for joining us from the Netherlands!!
pjcools
Active Contributor

I ran this morning and started at the Pillars of Wisdom. Absolutely perfect morning!! for #GlobalRunningDay with #SAPCommunity

WalterK
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Another run for the official #GlobalRunningDay, "enjoying" the humidity in Singapore 🥵

• 5.81 km
    Distance

• 39:03
    Moving Time

• 6:43 /km
    Pace

sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
I agree, it looks perfect! Colours definitely match 😉
Thanks for sharing, mine will come tonight. I have started my own Global Running Day initiative in Lampertheim, the small town I live in, and found already 4 contributors! So curious! 🙂
TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
You can barely see the moon this morning on this short walk in Northern Virginia:

Katherine_K
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Love this initiative phil.cooley !! Wee bit overcast at times in Galway today - but beautiful none-the-less and great to get some fresh air, as always.

The Galway route this year was along the coast at Renville by the marina, and down past the Galway Bay Golf Resort. Even helped an American golfer relocate his golf ball which had come out as far as the pathway 🙂 I think he needs a little more practise!!!

Galway route for Global Running Day

#GlobalRunningDay #SAPCommunity #CommunitySpirit
marcobuescher
Active Contributor
Great article and thanks for the call, Phil.
Right at the beginning of the run I had a rare spectator who cheered me on. 🙂

GRD2023

#GlobalRunningDay and #SAPCommunity

RichBlumberg
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi! Getting started on my Global Running Day walk... FYI: In Greater Philadelphia we're seeing some haze from the fires north of us... As a result, I may make this a global running week and do more once the skies clear up! We'll see! Happy to feel the energy from those of us participating  around the globe!

Flavio
Active Contributor
Me too, another run on the official #GlobalRunningDay 🙂 #SAPCommunity #sapchampions #sapcommunityrun

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos
Things are good, but the skies are bad! I couldn't participate "officially" yesterday, but since we're allowing people to join in through June 11th, I'm going to hope for clearer skies and work to remind people they can still take part this weekend!

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
As I commented above, I couldn't run on the 7th, but I did run today (Saturday the 10th) -- and that still counts!

If you're reading this and you also couldn't participate on the 7th, please keep in mind that our event goes through the 11th. That means if you run (or walk or bike) before the 12th, you're still considered a participant in our Global Running Day and you can earn the special community badge!

If you're planning to be outdoors this weekend anyway, why not use the opportunity to support Global Running Day? Simply take pictures of your activity and share them at https://groups.community.sap.com/t5/coffee-corner-discussions/global-running-day-with-sap-community/... with the #SAPCommunity and #GlobalRunningDay hashtags.

Here are some of my shots if you need a little extra motivation to get out this weekend...

moorthy
Active Contributor

Hello All, I was unable to join on Wednesday, however, I had a walk on Saturday 10 Jun at Melbourne (suburb).It was a windy afternoon with 13°C 🙂 and able to cover 9.1 KM walk.. A great initiative to reflect ourselves 🙂 thanks to all #GlobalRunningDay #SAPCommunity.

Best wishes and Cheers,

Krishna

sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
This would definitely be one of my favourite places to run katherine.kenneally ! Wonderful!