Supply Chain Management Blogs by Members
Learn about SAP SCM software from firsthand experiences of community members. Share your own post and join the conversation about supply chain management.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DamianJ
Participant
Hello,

Today, I will show you, how to use new function, provided by SAP for Advanced Production Integration - quantity calculation for staging, based on PMR calculation. All screens comes from S/4Hana 2021 Embedded EWM.

Introduction:

As SAP documentation said:

• Quantity proposal
    You can define a minimum quantity for the product on the PSA. If the quantity on the PSA, plus the quantity in any open warehouse tasks, is lower than the minimum quantity, the system creates a warehouse task to move the replenishment quantity of the product to the PSA.
    For single-order staging, the system proposes a quantity for staging for each PMR item.
    For cross-order staging, the system proposes a quantity for staging for each component that is required on the PSA. The system considers only PMRs with the status 
    Released.
    You can create warehouse tasks for the replenishment with a different quantity to the quantity proposed by the system. You can also create warehouse tasks to replenish products on the PSA without a proposal calculated by the system.
    You can change the data that the system uses for the quantity proposals using the Business Add-In 
    Data Collection for Staging for Production.

source:

Staging for Production | SAP Help Portal

For PMR calculation, you can use BADI. It was widely commented, that functionality for PMR based calculation was missing in standard.

Currently, SAP provided SAP note:

3321845 - Advanced Production Integration: Enhancement to Order-Based Quantity Calculation Type - SA...

After implementation of this SAP note, you will be able to use PMR quantity based calculation.

Go to /SCWM/PSASTAGE:

New option has been provided. Its available for Single-Order Staging and also for Cross-Order Staging.

Example Single-Order Staging:

Below is a example with Quantity-based calculation, then with new Calculation based on PMRs.

BOM:

Production Order:

PMR in EWM:

Staging execution in /SCWM/STAGE:

System created 3 WTs. We are making confirmation and consumption:

When we execute staging once again, system will display warning message, that scheduled quantity exceeds quantity to be removed, but system will create next WTs:

System is making WTs, based on settings from /SCWM/PSASTAGE.

Now, Im cancelling existing WTs and changing calculation rule to "Calculation Based on PMRs":

After changing configuration of calculation rule, execution of /SCWM/STAGE:

after execution of staging, system will display below log:

So, in this case system is making calculation based on quantity from PMR.

Example with Cross-Order Staging:

Two production orders and two PMRs:

So, in summary, we should provide 48 PCs of material EWMS4-303 to PSA - staging method 2 - Cross-Order. Settings in /SCWM/PSASTAGE:

as you can see, Replenishment quantity is greyed out, because calculation is based on PMRs.

Execute staging - one warehouse task has been created:

after task confirmation, I will execute staging once again for requested material:

result:

Conclusion:

It's a very good improvement provided by SAP regarding to Advanced Production Integration with EWM.

References:

3321845 - Advanced Production Integration: Enhancement to Order-Based Quantity Calculation Type - SA...

Staging for Production | SAP Help Portal

Staging and Consumption for Production | SAP Help Portal

8 Comments
JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi,

" It was widely commented, that functionality for PMR based calculation was missing in standard."

Question: if you want the quantities based on the PMR - why not use delivery based integration? Why use something which was explicitly build to stage fixed quantities, if you don't want that?

Brgds

Juergen

---
All the above is no official SAP statement.

Want to learn EWM?
Check for EWM courses: https://training.sap.com/trainingpath/Applications-Extended+Warehouse+Management-EWM+in+S4HANA
Get a SAP Learning Hub Subscription: https://training.sap.com/learninghub

And it is EWM. NOT eWM - Duh!
And if your question includes the word "transfer order" - do NOT tag the question with Extended Warehouse Management!
DamianJ
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi,

If you are using PMRs and you are making sometimes short production with expensive components, its really needed to provide exact quantity. I know idea of fixed quantity but in case of short production with not full quantity of components, why we should provide more than expected and makes more Warehouse activities than necessary? (Move to PSA, then clear PSA).
perlundh
Participant
0 Kudos
I think the question every company will ask is "why was this explicitly built to stage fixed quantities?" 🙂

If something has "embedded" on the box, we (customers) would expect a simplified scenario where we don't need to set up "delivery documents" just to move from shelf A in main warehouse out to shelf B in production.

morfi_pl0, thanks for letting us know about the new note! Hopefully it will be introduced in new versions and that it works as the development we had to do for it. Just updated BADI with cross-order staging 1 week ago and now I read this 🙂
JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
"I think the question every company will ask is "why was this explicitly built to stage fixed quantities?""

Because that was (AFAIK) exactly the point at the company asking for this type of solution. This whole solution is build for products which you have in fixed units (like bags, barrels, pallets) which you do not want to break up in the source bin.

"f something has "embedded" on the box, we (customers) would expect..."

Advanced production integration has nothing to do with embedded EWM.

" I know idea of fixed quantity but in case of short production with not full quantity of components, why we should provide more than expected and makes more Warehouse activities than necessary? "

Then you use the delivery based integration, there you stage exactly what you request.

Brgds

Juergen
perlundh
Participant
0 Kudos
Yes! Everything has it's history but let us now be happy that "exact quantities" is now supported by standard in Advanced Production Integration.

Each time we can eliminate a delivery document and become properly embedded is a time to celebrate! 🍾🎈
luiz_feliponi1
Explorer
0 Kudos
Great post!

I have a question about an opposite scenario where I have a work center that needs to be supplied with a certain planned component, let's say 30 kg of cotton material. This was planned through a production order based on the center's capacity and planned demand.

However, it is common in this situation to require more material or return unused material to stock.

How can we configure this process to be conducted by the RF operator without needing to change the working tasks, eWM orders, or anything else?

In a very frenetic production area where we don't have time for bureaucracy, we need a streamlined solution to keep the production line supplied.
manuel_g
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Jürgen,

I think there are indeed some reasons for using PMRs, even if you don't want to stage fixed quantities. E.g. the direct link of the staged stock to the production order, which is not possible with deliveries. Or the SAP DM-EWM-Integration which is based on PMRs as far as I know. Or the fact that we use way less documents (deliveries), which means also less probabilities for interface errors.

Therefore I think - even if it was originally built for fixed quantities - it's no shame to extend its usage also for exact quantities and optimize the PMR features in general for a broad usage.

Regards, Manuel
ann2807
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Why does note 3321845 with the new quantity calculation only have an effect on the app "Schedule staging for production" and not on the app "Stage for production"?

Labels in this area