Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices to trigger recurring events in SAP EM

rejiomusic
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I am exploring SAP EM as an option for one of my requirements and was going through the amazing blogs and SAP help documents to configure the framework.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm41/helpdata//EN/fa/4e583c65399965e10000000a114084/content.htm

In the above help link, SAP mentions that we can trigger recursive events.

Wanted to check, what would be the best practice to setup an event which should be periodic, i.e. weekly, monthly, or quarterly.

I understand we can achieve this through various design implementation, but is there a recommended approach or best practice for such scenarios?

Regards,

Reji

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

kevin_wilson2
Contributor

Recursive events can mean various things - In this instance they are referring to processes that have similar expected events occurring multiple times during one process. E.g. A transportation / shipment is created with 3 deliveries on it. If you track the shipment in SAP EM then the expected events would be as follows:

1. Event: LOAD @ DC
  2. Event: DEPART @ DC
  3. Event: ARRIVE @ Customer Location 1
  4. Event: UNLOAD @ Customer Location 1
  5. Event: DEPART @ Customer Location 1
  6. Event: ARRIVE @ Customer Location 2
  7. Event: UNLOAD @ Customer Location 2
  8. Event: DEPART @ Customer Location 2
  9. Event: ARRIVE @ Customer Location 3
  10. Event: UNLOAD @ Customer Location 3
  11. Event: DEPART @ Customer Location 3
  12. Event: ARRIVE @ DC

You can see how the same events are called for each leg of the shipment but each event is distinguished between each other by way of the location the event takes place in. Make sense?

Former Member

Hi Reji,

Are you talking about Expected Event or posting of an event on a periodic basis? If it's posting an event on a periodic basis, for performance wise, better to create a custom utility which calls BAPI on a periodic basis to post event. Other option is adding logic around EE Monitor but I would not do it there due to runtime performance issues on EM.

Thanks,

Vishnu

rejiomusic
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks! Vishnu/Kevin,

Understand the perspective of SAP now when it talks about the recursive events, but do we enable it by setting the "Reprocess Expected Events" checkbox or will we need to do further specific configurations in the EE profile for this.

Also, Will it be sensible to use Event Management in a review scenario where we have a document moving between two events back and forth multiple times which trigger various subsequent processes?

Regards,

Reji