Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cherifabir
Participant

Problem:

Sometimes when we need to add a column to a table in the LiveCycle Designer we find the error    «there is insufficient space for the inserted column» Although we have enough space to insert the new column as shown in the following screenshot.

Cause of this problem :

Even after reducing the size of other columns to free up space for the new column, I still get the-out-of-space error. So the problem is not related to a lack of space.

This problem appears only in standard copy forms. When we check the properties of the table, we find that the number of columns is fixed and cannot be modified (in our example we have 2 columns) as shown in the following screenshot.

Solution:

We can resolve this problem by a simple tip. We have to convert the table to subform as shown in the following screenshot. 

After this conversion, add the texts in the header subforms «HEADEAR_ITEM » and in the body subform « DATA_ITEM » of the converted table «ITEM_DETAIL ».

After adding columns in the subforms, we need to reset the table back to its original state by convert it  to table « convert to table »  as shown in the following screenshot.

After converting to the table, we can see that the column has been added (in this case, three columns).

Conclusion : 

This problem is not caused by a lack of space, as indicated in the error message, but it's related to the number of columns fixed in the standard table.

6 Comments
Great blog, thanks for sharing.
cherifabir
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks Hanane 🙂
BEKOStan
Active Participant
abir_cherif50

Thank you for sharing this, a few minutes earlier I had the notification.

Normally I solve this by going directly into the XML Source.

I will give this a try tomorrow

Thanks and best regards

Andreas
cherifabir
Participant

Hello bekostan

Thank you for your feedback 🙂 .

Could you tell me how you correct this problem with the XML source please?

I reviewed the XML code, but couldn't find a priority number of columns linked to the table.

Thanks and best regards

Cherif Abir.

BEKOStan
Active Participant

Hi abir_cherif50,

Sure, here we go...

Step 1: Identify the table where we need another column.

Step 2: Goto the XML Source and check the current needed space

Step 3:I will insert 2 new columns at the right end,so I splitted the last value into 3 pieces with the same total (INFO: could also have been 3x 10mm)

Step 4: Back to the Design View, we see, that there is some empty space on the right. Now we go to Table/Insert/Columns to the right (INFO: the inserted column has the same width as the before one, so it would have been better to use 3x10mm)

Step 5: Result after inserting first column (INFO: here we see, that the last column will not fit, so I went to the source again and adapted the width there). Header and Cell are untitled at the moment.

Step 6: Repeat the inserting process and rename all the fields and change type. If necessary adapt the column widths in the source again.

Best Regards

Andreas

cherifabir
Participant

Hello stanbeko

Thank you so much for sharing this solution in such detail 🙂 .

It's a very good tip and it's really helpful !!

Best Regards,

Cherif Abir.

Labels in this area