Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
suraj_s
Explorer
Introduction:

In today's digital landscape, data transformation is a crucial aspect of integration workflows. Often, we encounter scenarios where data needs to be converted from one format to another for seamless processing.

Recently, I encountered a situation where I received a CSV file from a third-party vendor and had to process this CSV to update data in our SAP SuccessFactors (SF) system. However, the structure of the CSV file was not constant. The vendor simultaneously made changes to the column names and sequences in the file structure each month. In this scenario, our standard CSV to XML converter, which relies on XSD-based mapping or fixed column sequence mapping, did not work. To address this challenge, I turned to Groovy scripting to convert the CSV into XML. Groovy provides powerful string manipulation capabilities, making it an ideal choice for handling dynamic CSV structures. With Groovy, we can dynamically process the CSV headers, extract data rows, and generate XML tags based on the header names. This flexibility allows us to accommodate changes in the CSV structure without requiring modifications to the mapping logic.

In this blog post, we will explore how to convert CSV (Comma-Separated Values) to XML (extensible Markup Language) using SAP CPI (Cloud Platform Integration) and the power of Groovy scripting. We will walk through the steps and provide a ready-to-use Groovy script to streamline your data conversion tasks.

data conversion tasks.

Understanding CSV and XML Formats:

CSV and XML are widely used formats for data representation and exchange. CSV is a plain text format where data is organized in rows and columns, with each column value separated by a delimiter, usually a comma. XML, on the other hand, is a structured markup language that represents data using tags and elements, making it more flexible and suitable for complex data structures.

The Need for CSV to XML Conversion:

Converting data from CSV to XML becomes necessary when integrating systems that expect data in XML format or when processing data using XML-based tools and technologies. SAP CPI offers powerful capabilities for data transformation and manipulation, making it an ideal choice for performing this conversion seamlessly within integration flows.

Using Groovy Script in SAP CPI for CSV to XML Conversion:

To convert CSV to XML in SAP CPI, we leverage the Groovy scripting language. Groovy is a powerful and flexible scripting language that runs on the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) and is well-suited for data manipulation tasks. We will use a Groovy script within an SAP CPI integration flow to parse the CSV data and generate the corresponding XML representation.

Step-by-Step Guide:

Let's dive into the step-by-step process of converting CSV to XML using the provided Groovy script:

Step 1: Set up an SAP CPI Integration Flow: Create an integration flow in SAP CPI that receives the CSV message payload. You can use any suitable integration pattern to trigger the flow based on your requirements.

Step 2: Configure the Groovy Script Step: Within the integration flow, add a Groovy script step. Copy the provided Groovy script into the script editor. This script leverages the powerful features of Groovy, such as string manipulation and XML generation, to convert the CSV data to XML.

import com.sap.gateway.ip.core.customdev.util.Message;
import java.util.HashMap;
import groovy.xml.XmlUtil

def Message processData(Message message) {
//Body
def body = message.getBody(String);

def lines = body.trim().split('\n')
def headers = lines[0].split(',')
def data = lines[1..-1].collect { it.split(',') }

def xml = new StringBuilder()

xml.append('<root>')
data.each {
row ->
xml.append('<record>')
headers.eachWithIndex {
header,
index ->
xml.append("<${header}>${row[index]}</${header}>")
}
xml.append('</record>')
}
xml.append('</root>')

def formattedXml = XmlUtil.serialize(xml.toString())

message.setBody(formattedXml)
return message;
}

Step 3: Customize the Script (if needed): Review the script and customize it according to your CSV format. Ensure that the script correctly identifies the delimiter used in your CSV file. You can also modify the XML structure to match your desired output format.

Step 4: Test and Deploy the Integration Flow: Test the integration flow by providing a sample CSV payload and running it in the SAP CPI development environment. Verify that the script converts the CSV data to XML as expected. Once you are satisfied with the results, deploy the integration flow to your productive environment.

Conclusion: By leveraging the power of SAP CPI and Groovy scripting, we can easily convert CSV data to XML, simplifying data transformation tasks within integration flows. The provided Groovy script serves as a ready-to-use solution, saving time and effort in developing custom CSV to XML conversion logic. With SAP CPI's flexibility and the versatility of Groovy scripting, you can handle various data transformation requirements seamlessly and efficiently.

Start harnessing the capabilities of SAP CPI and Groovy scripting to simplify your data transformation tasks and streamline your integration workflows. With the ability to convert CSV to XML effortlessly, you can ensure smooth data exchange between systems and unlock the true potential of your integration landscape
5 Comments
raihan_siddiqui
Explorer
Hi Suraj,

I tried this and it is working good!

Thanks for sharing, this will help a lot.

However I found that if there are different number of values in each row of the csv, this code gives an error. So suppose there are 4 headers in csv, and the first row contains 3 values but the second row contains 4 values, then it gives an error. So I wrote a simple of statement to handle it.
data.each { 
row ->

xml.append('<record>')
headers.eachWithIndex {
header,
index ->
if (index < row.size()) { //add only this if statement
xml.append("<${header}>${row[index]}</${header}>")
}
}
xml.append('</record>')
}

Adding the if statement helps with Array Out of bounds exception.

Hope this helps someone

Thanks.

Regards,

Raihan
MortenWittrock
Active Contributor
Hi Suraj

I hope it's okay to make a couple of unsolicited suggestions.

There are some solid Java CSV libraries out there. Apache Commons CSV is one example. Generally, if you have the option of using a mature library, I'd go for that instead of writing the code myself. A good library handles all sorts of corner cases, that might very well pop up down the road.

This also applies to generating XML. If you use a library, like Groovy's MarkupBuilder, it will take care of important stuff like encoding special characters. If you create XML through string manipulation, like in the above, you can inadvertently create bad XML.

Have fun with Cloud Integration!

Regards,

Morten
suraj_s
Explorer
Hi Raihan

Thank you for trying out the code and providing your feedback. I'm glad to hear that it's working well for you and that it will be helpful.

Regarding the issue you mentioned about varying numbers of values in each row of the CSV, I appreciate you bringing it to my attention. It's important to handle such scenarios to ensure the code's robustness. Your solution of adding a simple if statement to handle this situation sounds effective.

I value your contribution in improving the code's functionality and addressing potential errors. Your insights will certainly benefit others who may encounter similar challenges. If you have any further suggestions or ideas, please feel free to share them.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and for being proactive in enhancing the code. Keep up the great work!

Thanks & Regards,

Suraj

suraj_s
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Morten,

Thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate your proactive approach and valuable insights.

Using a mature and reliable Java CSV library like Apache Commons CSV sounds like a great suggestion. It can indeed handle various corner cases and provide robust functionality, which is essential for handling CSV files effectively. I will explore this library further and consider incorporating it into the code.

Similarly, your recommendation to use a library like Groovy's MarkupBuilder for generating XML is well noted. Taking advantage of such libraries can ensure proper handling of special characters and help avoid any issues with the resulting XML.

I will definitely take your suggestions into consideration and explore these options to improve the code and ensure its reliability. Once I have tried and tested these suggestions, I will update the blog with the revised approach, giving credit to the valuable inputs received.

Thank you again for your valuable suggestions and for enhancing the blog's content. I appreciate your contribution and look forward to incorporating these improvements.

Best regards, Suraj
raihan_siddiqui
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Suraj,

Glad you liked it! Looking forward to more of your blogs.

Regards,

Raihan
Labels in this area