Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

If you are an ABAP developer in an SAP Business Suite or an SAP S/4HANA Cloud, private edition (or SAP S/4HANA on-premise) system (further referenced as “on-premise” system), you have the option to check code for static quality issues during your development process using the ABAP test cockpit (ATC) checks from the central ATC check system in the SAP BTP, ABAP environment. More details are provided in the blog How to use ABAP Test Cockpit (ATC) in the cloud as a developer in an on-premise system.

In case your ATC finding cannot be corrected because, for example, it is a false-positive result or can be accepted in terms of quality, you as developer can request an exemption from your quality expert to suppress the finding from the ATC result. The ATC exemption can be requested in ABAP development tools for Eclipse. For the exemption processing, the new SAP Fiori app Approve ATC Exemptions must be used by quality experts to accept or reject exemptions from developers. This functionality became available with SAP BTP, ABAP environment 2311 (November 2023 release).

Prerequisites and Technical Setup

The prerequisite for working with exemptions is the enablement of the developer scenario between the central ATC check system in the SAP BTP, ABAP environment and on-premise systems.

Please follow the chapters Prerequisites and Technical Setup in the blog How to use ABAP Test Cockpit (ATC) in the cloud as a developer in an on-premise system to setup the developer scenario.

For more details, see the SAP Help Portal documentation Using an SAP BTP System as ATC Central Check System.

For approving/rejecting exemptions you will also need a business role based on the template SAP_BR_QUALITY_MNGR_SW_DEV (Quality Manager – Software Development).

Exemptions can be created only in the ABAP development tools for Eclipse since the exemptions workflow is managed via the central ATC check system in the SAP BTP, ABAP environment, where SAP GUI is not supported.

For more details, see the SAP Help Portal documentation Enable Usage of the Approve ATC Exemptions App.

ATC Exemptions Workflow

To gain basic understanding of how to work with exemptions using ATC in the cloud during development in on-premise systems, let’s take a look at the example of the exemption workflow.

Developer:

Just imagine, you as a developer in an on-premise development system want to check your code for static quality issues. To do this, you run ATC over your source code (open the context menu in the Project Explorer and choose Run As > ABAP Test Cockpit) in ABAP development tools for Eclipse and have the following findings displayed in your ATC result:

If you try to release the transport request containing this source code, your transport will be blocked:

Since you want to release your transport request, you will try to request exemptions from your quality expert for both findings.

For the first finding you could justify that no translation is needed for a log message. Please note that currently only all approvers can be chosen in the Approver field:

Now request an exemption for the other finding:

For this finding you are convinced that a hard-coded username shouldn’t be a problem:

Quality Expert:

As a quality expert on the central ATC check system in SAP BTP, ABAP environment, log on to the SAP Fiori launchpad, navigate to the section Custom Code Analysis and select the tile Approve ATC Exemptions to start the app:

In the app, you will see the two exemptions that have been reported by your developer:

Select an exemption to see that the Approve and Reject buttons will become active. You can use these buttons to process exemptions, the Exemption State is currently Open.

During the exemption process, you can also maintain the Exemption Details (to do this, select the ">" button in the table row with the corresponding exemption). In this section, you as a quality expert can enter your assessment elaborating on you reasons for rejecting the exemption:

After the exemption has been processed, the Exemption State will change to either Rejected or Approved:

Developer:

Now, if you as developer recheck your source code with ATC, you will be left with only one finding, for which the exemption was rejected by your quality expert:

This issue must be corrected before you release your transport request.

Using the menu View Menu -> Include Exempted Findings you can anytime display the exempted findings again in the ATC result:

17 Comments
paszyorsted
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hello,

Is it possible to change the priority of individual messages for check variants in ADT.

In on-premise setup this was done, in SCI.

Br

Pawel
OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Pawel,

it is possible to change the messages priorities of the ATC checks. See please the blog How to configure ABAP Test Cockpit (ATC) in the cloud.

Kind Regards,

Olga.

kasithunuguntla
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Olga,

I have configured ATC in cloud and tried requesting exemption, however I am getting error message " Invalid approver. Selected approver has not sufficient authority" , I have followed all instructions from the blog. created business role from template "SAP_BR_QUALITY_MNGR_SW_DEV" and assigned catalog id "SAP_A4C_BC_DEV_XMPT_APR_PC" and assigned this business role few business users(Approvers).

Please let me know if I am missing anything.  Also, Can you please provide me help to maintain Approver Responsibilities(Areas) in BTP.

Appreciate your response.

Regards

Kasi

Exemption Issue

OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Kasi,

currently only ALL_APPROVERS <AREA> can be used in the Approver field (see in the blog above), meaning all users with the role SAP_BR_QUALITY_MNGR_SW_DEV will be able to approve/reject exemptions.

Kind Regards,

Olga.
kasithunuguntla
Participant
Fantastic Olga, I was trying ALL_APPROVERS and individual approver id's instead of "ALL_APPROVERS <AREA>".   Thanks so much for your support.

Regards
Kasi
paszyorsted
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hello,

Is there a way to send an email to all users with the role SAP_BR_QUALITY_MNGR_SW_DEV, when exemption was requested?

Br

Pawel
OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Pawel,

email notification when exemption was requested is not yet there, but it is planned.

Kind Regards,

Olga.
Uli_42
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for that Blog.

Is there anywhere a good explanation of the meaning of the Scopes?

Specially, when working with the finding based on a Check message Text?

kasithunuguntla
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Olga,

I have configured ATC in cloud for on on-prem S4HANA system, however I am unable to raise exemption requests from SAP frontend. it gives a message "No GUI dialog supported by destination AS9_ATC_CC of reference check system". However I am able to request exemptions from Eclipse.  We have most of the developers still using ABAP frontend and not Eclipse. Is there any additional configuration that I am missing here or if this feature is not available from SAP frontend.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks & Regards

Kasi

kasithunuguntla
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Olga,

The other issue I noticed related to ATC exemption approvals is that I can approve my own exemption requests. Below image both requestor and approver are same.

kasithunuguntla_1-1706875742004.png

Regards
Kasi

OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi @kasithunuguntla,

exemptions can be created only in the ABAP development tools for Eclipse since the exemptions workflow is managed via the central ATC check system in the SAP BTP, ABAP environment, where SAP GUI is not supported.

Regarding the exemption approval: the separation of concerns (developer vs. quality expert) is based on the business role (template SAP_BR_QUALITY_MNGR_SW_DEV (Quality Manager – Software Development)). Developers should not have this role.

Kind Regards,
Olga.

IanStubbings
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Olga

Regarding the comment above about the roles managing the 4 eyes principle, in our situation, it is very likely that a lead developer will also be person that is reviewing exemptions of their colleagues and hence will have both a developer and QM role. We have dozens of development systems connected to the current on-premise ATC/CVA and are in the process of migrating over to the Cloud ATC/CVA and see this as a gap in functionality previously provided.

Is it possible to add logic that prevents a user approving their own exemptions regardless of their role? 

Thanks

Ian

OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ian, @IanStubbings 

it cannot be done easily, since on-premise and cloud landscapes have different user managements (on-premise user and SAP BTP user are different users). Our development investigates currently how the mapping between these user managements can be realized technically.

Best Regards,
Olga.

harshado
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Olga,

First of all thanks for your Blogs which helped us to setup BTP ABAP Environment CVA as Central Check.

We have setup of BTP ABAP Environment CVA as Central Check. S4 on premise private Edition as Check system. I have raised Exemption from Eclipse for S4 on premise program.

Exemption request can be seen in Approve Exemption App but Approve/Reject options are disabled. In details also Edit/Approve/reject option is disabled. How to fix this issue.

One more Query : When we perform ATC checks from on Premise system (Checked system) with variant of SAP BTP ABAP environment (Central system). Do we have any APP in BTP where as a Quality manager can view all ATC checks performed in past as history. What are remaining errors or warnings even after user has released TR.

Thanks & regards

Prashant

OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

the role SAP_BR_QUALITY_MNGR_SW_DEV must be created with "Write"-Access, then you will see the Approve/Reject buttons.

Regarding your second question: if you use developer scenario: executing checks in your on-premise (checked) system using the SAP BTP ABAP environment as a central check system, then the remote ATC checks run locally in your on-premise system, the result of your ATC run is also local in the on-premise system, it is only for developers, QM would use the Custom Code Migration app in the SAP BTP ABAP environment for the central ATC runs to get an overview about remaining findings in the system.

Kind Regards,
Olga.

harshado
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Olga,

We are using SAP BTP CVA central check setup.

If we raise Exemption for S4 on-premise (checked) system. 

Person having Role SAP_BR_QUALITY_MNGR_SW_DEV sees Exemption approval in FIORI app.

Does SAP provide any Email notification functionality for SAP BTP CVA approver exemption ? how to setup those ?

Thanks

Prashant

OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Prasant,

no, unfortunately there is no Email notification for exemptions approvers, currently also only  “ALL_APPROVERS” can be chosen as approver.

Kind Regards,
Olga.