Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TamasK
Advisor
Advisor

SAP offers flexible internal fellowships that allow people to grow by experiencing a different role and team. I completed a fellowship with the SAP Design Research Foundations team, which increases end user engagement with user research services and training activities. 

From the moment I embarked on my UX journey, my enthusiasm for user research has been unwavering. It became clear early on that 'UX' is incomplete without the crucial 'U'—understanding and learning from users. The prospect of a fellowship with the Research Foundations team first caught my attention during a tooling enablement session and I was instantly excited.

Learning through tooling management

My role extended beyond learning about and managing research tools; I actively contributed to ongoing research projects. From managing tooling and conducting surveys to updating research enablement materials, I became an integral part of the team. This hands-on experience provided a holistic understanding of the research lifecycle and the impact it can have on product development.

Navigating new waters with the SAP User Research Panel

Also, it was exciting to experience first row how the team set up the new SAP User Research PanelIt will be a game changer for user research by easily connecting SAP users to the people who create the products. Their feedback helps shape existing and future products and participants can see new features exclusively before they release. 

Opt-in-for-blog-post-scaled.jpg

Opt-in form of the SAP User Research Panel. ALT text: Opt-in form for the SAP User Research Panel including a short welcoming, what to expect, and how to get started with the registration process. The blue SAP logo is shown on top of the form.

Social Media Templates Square Large.jpegAny SAP user can sign up for it here. More information about the panel is available on the official webpage. 

ALT text: A smiling lady with a phone in her hands. On the top, the image says "Your voice matters". 

Seamless integration with my design team

One of the major highlights of this fellowship was the ease with which I could convince my manager to let me participate. The prospect of bringing back valuable knowledge to the team was met with immediate support, emphasizing the forward-thinking culture within the organization. This smooth integration allowed for a seamless transition between teams, ensuring a collaborative and enriching experience.

A vibrant mentorship with Dilara

From day one, Dilara Rousseau, my mentor, stood out with her infectious enthusiasm and a genuine passion for research. Her bubbly personality not only made the learning process enjoyable but also created an open space for exploration and creativity. Dilara's wealth of knowledge in research tools and methodologies became a guiding light for me as I delved into the world of user-centric research. Her hands-on approach and willingness to share insights made the learning process not only informative but also enjoyable.

Picture4.png

Supportive leadership from Tracy

Behind every successful team is a supportive leader, and in this case, it was Tracy, the team's manager. Tracy's leadership style centered around nurturing a culture of appreciation and teamwork. She genuinely cared about the development of each team member, fostering an environment where everyone felt valued. This supportive atmosphere played a pivotal role in our ability to explore new tools and methodologies.

Picture5.png

Conclusion

My fellowship with the research enablement team was a transformative experience, filled with knowledge, challenges, and growth. Dilara's mentorship, Tracy's leadership, and the collaborative environment made this journey unforgettable. As I return to my team armed with newfound insights and skills, I am not just a UX Designer with some research knowledge; I am an ambassador of a culture of continuous learning and innovation. As I move forward in my career, I carry with me the lessons learned and the appreciation for a team that exemplifies the true spirit of research enablement.