Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gCTS: move object to different repository

toonvl
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

We want to start using gCTS, but we are still a bit unclear when it comes to our repository strategy.

We want to go with a lot of repositories, but then we are worried of how much trouble it would make if we put an object in the wrong repository. So we wonder how manageable it is to move an object from one repository to another. In a test, we have created 2 repositories, and then moved a test program from the package of the first repository to the second. The transport that is then created for this move, will commit the program to the second repository, but it is not removed from the original repository.

We are currently using gCTS without a registry. Is there maybe a better way to change an object to a different repository? Or a clean way for removing all the objects related to the program from the original repository? What if we would use gCTS with a registry?

Kr,
Toon

View Entire Topic
woutdejong
Participant
0 Kudos

Interesting question, Toon, and I don't have an answer as we are exploring gCTS ourselves.

However, why "many repos" (exactly how many)? We are considering as few repos as possible, maybe even 1 mono-repo for customizing and (abap, js) source code combined.

Cheers, Wout

toonvl
Discoverer
0 Kudos

I'm thinking about 10-30 or more repos. Why? Because every time you want to deploy a version, it will deploy all the objects from that repo. I want to avoid having to deploy objects from for example shipping, when something completely unrelated from purchasing has changed. I would like to have a repo for a specific customization. So if we do this, my fear is putting an object in a wrong repo, or if we want to restructure the repos after we first set them up.

Kr, Toon