cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use python runtime in HANA Express SP06

sboll
Explorer

I compiled and deployed a python runtime in my fresh HANA Express SP06 (vm-Edition) as described here https://github.com/saphanaacademy/python. The runtime is listed when queried with "xs runtimes". If i try to use it (e.g. by using the test-python-runtime.sh script) i always get the following error:

ERR which: no python3 in (/usr/sap/HXE/HDB90/exe/krb5/bin:/usr/sap/HXE/HDB90/exe/krb5/sbin:...

Has anyone successfully used the newest HANA Express SP06 with a python runtime and can point me in the right direction or can help me resolve this error? I think the runtime seems to forget, where the binaries of the python runtime are located or something like that.

I have used the python runtime in the previous HANA Express SP05 without any problems, but i used the "Installer Version" of HANA back then and wanted to give the "VM-Edition" a try this time.

sboll
Explorer
0 Kudos

If i copy the compiled binaries (renamed them first to e.g. python3 etc.) to the first path specified by the log, the build seems to start, but immediately fails with a new error:

ERR response = urlopen(url, cafile=cafile)

ERR File "/usr/sap/HXE/home/builds/Python-3.10.5/lib/python3.10/urllib/request.py", line

201, in urlopen

ERR raise ValueError('SSL support not available')

ERR ValueError: SSL support not available

View Entire Topic
sboll
Explorer

I resolved the issue myself. Here is what i did:

I ended up using Python Version 3.9.13 compiled with the script found in the github-repo.

I copied the python3 executable into /usr/sap/HXE/HDB90/exe/krb5/bin manually and changed it to be used by the system with "sudo chown -c hxeadm:sapsys python3"

After that my python buildpack can stage python apps.

Never had to do this in SP5 so maybe something changed, I don't know, but if anyone has the same issues, this worked "on my machine" 🙂

The ssl-error i had with the latest python 3.10.5 could be reproduced by just entering "import ssl" in the python console. If that fails, don't bother to deploy, it will fail later anyway...