Welcome Corner Blog Posts
Go a little bit deeper into the Welcome Corner with blog posts. Learn how to get started in SAP Community and get tips on maximizing your participation.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keithgrayson
Associate
Associate
It was in December 2017, that my then 8 year old daughter said "Daddy, can we go ice skating".  She had seen some skating simulator in the Roblox gaming environment on her laptop and decided that she wanted to experience it in real life.

I could just about stand upright on ice skates.  Enough to push her and the polar bear skating aid around the local ice rink.  My wife briefly put on ice skates, stepped gingerly onto the ice, stepped back off the ice, took them off and that was the end of her involvement.

After a couple of more trips to the ice rink, my daughter said "Daddy, can we have lessons".  So I researched times and the local rink did lessons on a Sunday morning.  We started figure skating lessons together on level 1.  It took us 2 years to get to the point where we had outgrown the public skating lessons and started private coaching too.

Then COVID hit and took more or less a year out.

Fast forward to now. We both recently started skating in the Basingstoke Synchro Skating Club.

Here is what I have learned.

1. We push and motivate each other.

2. My daughter can remember the step sequences from the get-go.  It takes me longer to learn them.

3. I just "go for it" with the big new moves like jumps, whereas my daughter is more cautious.

4. I've hurt myself - mostly ribs - both more often and more painfully than my daughter has.  Maybe that is connected with the "go for it" mentality.

We have our first Spin, Spiral, Jump competition - nicknamed "Spin, Spiral, Splat", aka "Slip, Trip & Fall" -  at the local rink on Sunday October 31.  Here is the video we took today of my practice run.  I look at it and wish my lines were better and that my spins were more elegant, but that is the nature of these things.

Wish us luck!

P.S This is an entry for the 2021 SAP Community Talent Show, follow the link for more details.  Likes are much appreciated as part of this 🙂
5 Comments
former_member27
Community Manager
Community Manager
This is super cool:)
Jan-WillemK
Active Participant
This is awesome.  You made my day, thanks for posting.
Flavio
Active Contributor
Good luck! 👍
mynynachau
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
If I were to nominate or give away a "BEST-DAD-Award", I would give it to you keith.grayson !
former_member15967
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Keith - You're a man of many talents (guitar, juggling and now ice skating)

Love that you doing this with your daughter as it makes even more special 🙂

All the Best

Peter Mc