Welcome Corner Blog Posts
Go a little bit deeper into the Welcome Corner with blog posts. Learn how to get started in SAP Community and get tips on maximizing your participation.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jelena
Active Contributor
 Folks,

About 5 years ago my phone rang and caller ID showed an unfamiliar number with New York area code. At first, I thought about just letting it go to the voice mail (I get a lot of sales calls) but moved by a mysterious force I picked it up. On the other end of the line was none other than Marilyn Pratt of SAP, The Godmother of SCN. Can you imagine getting a surprise call from Lady Gaga or Dalai Lama? It felt exactly like that.

We talked for what seemed like an hour about SCN, how everyone was frustrated with the recent migration (lol, we had no clue what was coming in 2016) and, most importantly, what could be done to help the Community get back on track. As a result of our conspiracy, my first SCN blog was born.

Ancient History

Some of you might remember that before 2012 there was SDN (SAP Developer Network). Blogging on SDN was somewhat restricted and at least the first blogs were subject to review and approval by the moderators.

On SDN, I've never attempted to become a blogger for a variety of reasons. There were enough heavy-weight bloggers without me (mind you, those were the times when Thomas Jung and Rich Heilman made regular appearances in the ABAP forum), I didn't like the idea of getting a "stamp of approval", and I was quite content using a personal blog to scratch an occasional writing itch while getting enough SDN "pinots" by answering questions.

The Renaissance Era

When SDN evolved into SCN, the floodgates of blogging were opened, for better or for worse. The BIF initiative was sweeping the community and bringing into the spotlight many reluctant bloggers, myself included.

It was the time of the infamous "poetry blogs", the "Top Liked" blog charts (that I managed to crush a couple of times), heated discussions in the comments (e.g. "OOP vs. procedural") that sometimes resulted in more and more blogs. On SCN, I enjoyed certain blogging fame, for which I'm eternally grateful to Marilyn and every SCN member who found time to read my blogs and share a comment or just click the Like button.

Modern Times

Here we are, no longer SDN or SCN but "SAP Community" (SC?). Blog pre-moderation for newbies is back. No more "top liked", no BIF and, sadly, no more Marilyn either (she's not dead though, merely retired but still). All around post-apocalyptic landscape.

I have not posted a blog on SCN since January. It's not like I ran out of the subjects. I'm pretty sure someone might enjoy reading about the ABAPosaurus's struggle with OOP, for example. Or I could give another dressing-down in "Are you there, ASUG?" or follow with a sequel like "Y U No Love Leonardo?"

But instead of staying up late writing the SCN blogs I end up playing with virtual farms and restaurants and even contemplating posting a blog on LinkedIn. (And John Appleby already beat me to it, darn!)

What is happening?! Well, let's see.

To invest time and emotional strength in blogging, some sort of reward needs to be involved. Of course, once in a while a subject comes along that we would feel much passion to blog about no matter whether anyone reads it. But, let's be honest, no one actually wants to continue dropping the blogs into some kind of a black hole. Eventually even the most clueless and prolific bloggers need some digital pat on the back to go on.

When SAP Community finally opened for business in 2016, I was eager to get back on the blogging train. But after posting 3 blogs to the lukewarm response and no perks like a badge or even sense of accomplishment, the enthusiasm started to wane. For some time, I shrugged it off. Perhaps the subjects were not as compelling as I thought or people still had trouble getting used to the new website. Who knows? But when I started noticing that my activity feed is not exactly abuzz with new blog notifications and there are blogs like this one, a suspicion that it's not just my lousy writing sunk in.

Wee Bit Data without IoT or Cloud

There was a story shared some time ago by ASUG how the New York City wine store owners used "Big Data with IoT and Now 25% more Cloud" (c) to figure out if they should open the store later. My first thought was "hmm, why couldn't they simply ask their employees?" but then I guess people could be biased while data is supposed to be objective.

Very well. On SC, I don't have "Big Data with IoT", unfortunately, therefore I picked a random sample of the SCN blogs posted within 2 random consecutive weeks. I used RSS feed to open the blogs and captured basic information about them in a spreadsheet. Then, 2 weeks later I visited the blogs again to check if any changes happened. Other than a view increase and two blogs already removed (and justly so), I did not see significant changes during the second visit. Yada-yada-yada, let's see some numbers.

As luck would have it, in the chosen time period both Rich Heilman and Thomas Jung decided to post a blog. The numbers for the top 3 blogs were clearly much higher than in the average Joe and Jane's blogs, so I also checked the numbers with the top 3 blogs excluded:

And to hit that last nail on the head: the blogs with 0 likes or comments - 70.6%. Ouch.

And the Action I Want You To Take... Uhm...

Dale Carnegie course (which I was forced to take years ago because I had "communication issues") taught us to end a speech with "And the action I want you to take is..." clause. This would seem fitting here if only it was so easy.

Sure, some sort of gamification, possible comeback of @-mentions and some other features are on the roadmap somewhere over the rainbow. But imagine you are on a long road trip and you are hungry. Will it help you that McDonalds is on the map somewhere? Unless the map is edible, I guess not.

To be honest, at this point I simply do not know what specific actions could get me and others excited about blogging in the SAP Community again. And I fear that we crossed the point when we are not even looking for McDonalds anymore and moving on to Burger King or Wendy's. Oh, that reminds me - I have a virtual restaurant to take care of! Gotta run.

------------

*) Title shamelessly borrowed from the Scissor Sisters song I don’t feel like dancin’. Warning: the song might get stuck in your head for days.
77 Comments
former_member181891
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
I very much appreciate your partnership and I'm positive I'll need your input in the coming days.

Best,

Jamie
Former Member
Matt, no worries, got you covered. Simply use this blog template:

... and remember to quote or have an opinion on the current political situation in the U.S. Maybe throw in a couple of S/4 HANA and SAP Cloud buzz words. That should do it.
former_member46
Advisor
Advisor

Jelena,

I’m so glad that you made the time investment (even at the expense of the farm! ? ) to blog on community again. And as you can see, you clearly struck a chord with many, as over 50 comments attest.

I personally thank you, I loved reading both the post itself and all the comments here. Especially seeing so many friends, some who have not visited for a while and have been missed. I’ve also noted of course all the comments from those same friends and the concerns they have with the community’s current state. As Oliver noted, we are working to address but that is a topic for a separate post. I do want to voice my appreciation to those who took a moment to recognize everything the team is trying to do to improve the experience and to those actively trying to support us there too.

I agree with what many wrote above, but I need to +1 on my hope that you and others continue to blog because you want to and of course having friends like Tammy tweet after certainly can’t hurt ?

Gali

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Here I am, reading comments on a serious enterprise software company's blog, only to discover new great music I hadn't heard before.

What a time to be alive 😉
Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
Aaaaaaaaaand the goat is back!
Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor

I’d really rather write about the experience of being a Basis admin, or how to grow one’s Basis career, or how to be an effective technical lead on an SAP support team, or how to avoid stress in one’s job (I already wrote that one), or how to be open to change (I wrote that one, too — that was my last one, almost a year ago). Perhaps how to deal with disappointment when denied a promotion you applied for, and learning it was because of backroom politics in another department…. On how to be introspective and determine if a breakdown in cross-departmental communications might really be your own fault after all….

Please do write those blogs, I'd love to read them! "Career" does not sound soo far fetched to me, though. At least put it as a secondary tag. Missing blogging with the CC tag now, don't we? ^^

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
Finally another Jelena blog. I missed those!

Reading it and the reactions brought back the old SCN feelings. And seeing goats, of course. And Marilyn! Oh my gosh!

I don't really have anything else to add, I liked the heck out of the blog and some comments that reflect my views, so I'm only kind of replying to continue to screw up the statistics. ^^
Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Some day... and that day may never come... (in my best gravelly Marlon Brando voice)... but some day, I may blog again.... 😉
Jelena
Active Contributor
That subject actually has already been covered by Juergen, believe it or not. 🙂
Jelena
Active Contributor
Hey, maybe we should have some kind of "Blog It Forward Why I Don't Blog" initiative?

You already have like half of a blog in the comment above. 🙂

TAG!
Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
Half of a blog? Who are you kidding? These days, it's a WHOLE blog! Maybe I should just copy/paste... 😉
Robert_Russell
Contributor
Thanks for the blog and it did trigger some thoughts as to why I blog and I am with Tammy in that I blog for myself.
Inspired by your your stats, I thought I would revisit the google sheets I shared of the data I collected in my Coffer Corner discussion here about blogs.

https://answers.sap.com/articles/139632/status-update-counting-blogs-user-tags-and-comment.html
From the count of blogs and comments I was happy with the actual data, just an unofficial dataset not from SAP and like yourself I collected this data via the RSS feeds. The charts are from Lumira with a standard running average added to the chart for the overall trend.

Pure blog count by day indicates a decrease in blogging activity up to Feb 2017, although "anecdotally" I do think it is increasing recently but I have not collected stats for a while.

As for comments, apart from two high peaks, which are two blogs about U.S. topics in October and Julie Plummer sharing some highly engaging posts on the 3rd Nov 2016 the comments are showing decline as well (probably to be expected if the overall blog count is slowing as well ;))

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
If you meant the Jam space, I find it harder to discover content there more than in SC 🙂
jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos
It's actually been requested twice...

https://ideas.sap.com/D39535

https://ideas.sap.com/D39328

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

I remember in the good old days the SAP trapezoid on SDN was more like a badge of honor. If you saw it you knew this is something solid and worth reading. But these days I’m afraid it’s almost the other way around – I see trapezoid next to the author’s name and it’s “ugh, again these people with their digital transformation blah blah blah”.

I think that’s a sentiment many others share as well, Jelena. I’ve said jokingly (well…maybe half-jokingly) that the SAP logo is almost like a scarlet letter these days when posting.

When advising SAP employees about blogging, I point them to the many guidelines out there. But I also tell them that as soon as members see the SAP logo next to a blogger’s name, they are already apprehensive before reading. And there is no shortage of examples of poorly received employee-written blogs — and I share them with any employee seeking advice about blogging.

All of which makes me wonder…

Here and in other recent (and not so recent) posts, I’m reading about the frustration with the quality of blogs (particularly blogs from SAP contributors). I had always been under the impression that a certain amoung of self-policing occurs within the community — meaning if the community isn’t happy with a blog, the community lets the blogger know via comments.

I don’t think most bloggers set out to violate any rules, and they likely believe they are publishing something that readers might find useful. If the comments tell them otherwise, it’s pretty eye-opening. I’ve taken my fair share of criticism with my posts, and I’d like to think that it’s actually helped me communicate better with the community.

There’s a great deal of discussion here of how positive reinforment (likes and good comments) can encourage people to blog more. Could the opposite also be true (negative reaction pushes out poorer quality)?

–Jerry

Colleen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
The goat is definitely back https://blogs.sap.com/2017/07/03/how-the-goat-was-a-successful-failure

@Jelena - thanks for this blog. It inspired me to get writing again too and get back to community. Without meaning to hijack your thread, I realised it's up to all of us to build the community with the people we want. Sue Keohan sent me a link to your blog and I loved reading it - felt on the same page

Pazahanick_Jarr
Active Contributor
Excellent blog Jelena as you are my favorite blogger left on SCN.  I could go on a rant with all the ways SAP has went backwards on the each of the various platform moves (which in theory should have made it better) and sad that a software company didnt see/want to protect and improve one of their crown jewels but that is for another day.

Bloggers/writers will go where their content is read by their target audience which for the SAP community used to be SAP SCN but no longer. I have moved to the Linkedin Platform and am getting 20X the views and 50X the engagement there + still hitting the target audience of SAP/SF customers (due to how I am promoting it in LI groups, social media and other places).  On a side note, more decision makers are active on Linkedin than SCN so there is that angle as well. There was a time 4-5 years ago where SAP SCN was 20X vs Linkedin which tells you know much things have changed.  On a side, the fact this this blog only has ~900 views is a shame as if you had put in on LI you would have gotten more than that (even though the topic is another blogging platform).

On a side note, once people leave they never come back which is why all the after the fact fixes are not going to work and SCN is in a downward spiral as without fresh INDEPENDENT content it becomes just another marketing arm of SAP which combined with the very poor usability and accessibility (Is SAP EVER going to fix their horrible log in issues (I have 25-30 different IDs for SAP/SF websites) is never going to drive customers which is ultimately the target audience for many blogs.
henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
We've gone through Pay it Backward times... sad.

Clearly, some people who made decisions on the current SC (1DX?) state were not well equipped to do so. At least, some of them are gone.

We could point fingers but the only thing to be done now is to revoke some of these decisions and go back to a state where people enjoy contributing again. Hopefully, that's going to be sooner rather than later. I can only hope...
engswee
Active Contributor
Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but just wanted to say "forget Rich Heilman or Thomas Jung, the ABAPsaurus rocks!"
Jelena
Active Contributor
Jerry, I'm afraid no one is going to let the author know in the comments. If this was an anonymous website we might see some "LOL WUT?" but it just ain't happening on SCN.

Something that clearly violates the posted rules gets reported to the moderators but it's very rare actually. Poorly written / boring / uninformative blogs - I just move along. Sure, I could post a comment but turns out not everyone appreciates having their content called a "snoozefest" and I usually just don't have time to translate my impression into something more palatable.

In a few cases I've tried calling out someone on what does their blog have to do with SCN. The reply is usually something like "Many SAP customers are employing Millennials, so my random thought collection and copy-pastings from the Interwebs are totally relevant for SCN!" Rrrright... Sorry, I give up.

But what's worse, I believe we are suffering from what Mike aptly called Blog Pollution when many (most?) blogs are not even read.
SimoneMilesi
Active Contributor
Hi Jelena!

i saw the blog just because you choose to follow me with your new account and i got the email notification.

Otherwise i would skip it.

Right now, i do not find SC(??) attractive anymore: too much "background noise", not the correct tools/tricks i need, too many information spreads in too many places.

So... i just avoid it (with a great joy of some moderators i guess 🙂 ).

But the spirit you have right now about blogging is the spirit i have (my wife complains i say too much times "me" and "i" ) about SC(??).

i hope you keep blogging, because i love your style, so maybe others could find some inspiration and motivation to come back.
kmoore007
Active Contributor
Yep, kind of the same thing happens with Facebook or other social sites.  Nobody "likes" your posts anymore or people get tired of seeing other's food choices 3-times per day.  You start adding almost strangers to your list of friends to boost your numbers.  Blah-blah-blah.  My personal reason for not frequenting SCN anymore is the site changed so much I can't find anything.  Nothing is organized.  Maybe I'm having trouble adjusting, but I am just lost on the site.  It is not intuitive to me.  Other colleagues have expressed similarly.  Then everything is HANA, HANA, HANA and Cloud, Cloud.  ECC has been thrown to the wind it appears.  Even at SAP TechEd I have trouble finding sessions relevant for my system.  I read a BLOG recently and tried to follow the steps only to find out the system the blogger was using was an S/4 HANA system.  She didn't think to mention which system she was on.  I had to ask since the steps were not working on my ECC system.  So the "youngsters" new to SAP have only been in S/4 HANA and didn't seem to realize there were other previous versions? Just weird to me.  Guess this is sort of what the poor R/2 customers felt like in the late 90's when R/3 came along.

PS:  I have read a few of your blogs and enjoy them.  Not recently albeit 😐
Jelena
Active Contributor
Thanks for the comment! You are certainly not the only one lost here. I have bookmarked my usual places of activity (such as ABAP forum, err, questions) but other than that and the Coffee Corner I hardly venture elsewhere.

And yes, ECC pretty much disappeared from the SAP conferences years ago. But I find it super-ironic that you don't find the ECC content on SCN while in the earlier comments some SCN veterans noted how they feel they have nothing to write about because it's not "cutting edgy" enough. One would think that SCN should connect such groups but instead it seems both sides feel no longer welcome.
joanofulue
Explorer
Hello @Jelena Perfilijeva. Am glad I final get the gusto to shower you with the much deserved accolade. As a newbie in The SAP ecosystem, I find your blogs, and problem solving approach funny and engaging. You are my SAP virtual mentor- lol. So sorry I never asked your permission- One of those things that materialize without you being aware. When I seek answers to solutions, I am usually more interested in your solutions than any other member. I can't seem to control such bias. After listening to the new SAP Customer influence sales and billing 2017 project, watching you contribute and reading Bill Mcdermott Winners's dream where he incessantly mentioned "Coffee Corners", my mind was made up that you are my SAP SC real MVP. I really hope I can write a blog post soon with beneficial contents since I always get discouraged, mostly because I think  don't have any original or Leonardolike content.

Jelena
Active Contributor
Aaaawww, you are too kind. 🙂

Bill McDermott mentioned Coffee Corner?! Get out of here! Wow, now I need to find that book.

Thanks for your kind words! As you can see, there are many of us who are still interested in ECC, so let not the lack of "Leonardolikeness" discourage you.
joachimrees1
Active Contributor

Oh yes, I certainly do !

(Edit: maybe not "follow the tag" in a SAP Community sense, but I'm subscribed to it via RSS, so I'll notice very quickly if there are new blogs on that tag

this just came to my mind, as someone might look at my profile an respond: "no, you don't! [screenshot]" or something). 

siva_vasireddy2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
God Bless you