What's New
Stay informed about the latest in SAP Community. Explore new developments, strategy updates, and program announcements shaping the future of our community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

The migration beginning January 16 will bring many changes to SAP Community -- and that includes your profile experience.

At launch, our SAP IT team is rolling out SAP Profile, combining elements of the current people.sap.com profile (which will eventually be retired) and the groups.community.sap.com profile.

If you have both of those profile types currently, you're probably wondering, "What will my username be after migration?" Good question! If you have a profile on the community groups, that profile's username will be your username at launch. If not, your people.sap.com username will be the username post-migration.

(By the way: There's still time to set up a groups profile. Learn how at https://groups.community.sap.com/t5/help/faqpage/title/registration. Or, if you have a private profile on people.sap.com, please read Important Information for Our "Private" Members and take the necessary actions before launch.)

Regardless of what display name you end up with at launch, be assured that you'll be able to change it once the migration is completed.

After migration, you can log in as you do now -- by clicking the avatar in the upper right. (Here's a sneak peek of what the contextual navigation will look like post-migration.)

nav.png

Upon log-in, you'll see these options in the upper-right avatar area.

profiles.png

The top-most image will take you to your profile and a few setting options. The bell icon goes to the notification feed. The profile inbox is going to be retired, so this new feed will keep you up to date about the community activities most relevant to you.

With the upcoming retirement of the inbox, please keep an eye on your people.sap.com profile for information about the new notification center, which will cover areas such as learning, services, support, and many others. Community notifications, however, will be accessible from the bell icon shown in the previous image, taking you to a specific feed for the community.

notifications.png

The letter icon is for direct messaging. (We'll be using the current groups.community.sap.com messaging as the service for DMs, and we won't be migrating any direct messages from the current community.sap.com platform.)

The avatar image next to the message icon goes to the new content area. More on that in a bit. For now, I wanted to share more details about the profile.

Initially, the profile will be a simple business card, showing Followers, Following, and your bio. (Again, keep an eye on your people.sap.com profile, as this new profile.sap.com version will be available to you from there prior to launch.) You can edit your profile picture on this page, and this image will appear on other SAP platforms that share the same contextual navigation. You can also edit your bio and add things such as your social-media links via the "Contact Details" button in the upper right.

card.jpg

You'll get to this profile by clicking "My Account" from the avatar profile dropdown. The link to the new notifications center -- independent of the community's notification feed accessible from the bell icon -- will appear there as well at launch. (It's not available on our staging system, which is why it doesn't show up in the image below.)

dropdown.png

You'll also see options for your "Settings" and your "Subscriptions" in this dropdown. Subscriptions are the equivalent of the tags and content followed currently in people.sap.com, and they will be migrated as subscriptions at launch. (Note: Although the groups community has bookmarking features, the people.sap.com bookmarks won't be migrated.)

Clicking on "Subscriptions" will take you to…

subscriptions.png

…and clicking on "Settings" will take you here:

settings.png

If you notice that these pages look similar to the setting sections currently available in the groups.community.sap.com profile, you're right! As noted earlier, the profile will be primarily a business card at first. Settings, content feeds, and your badges will be available in the new "My content" section, accessible directly from that second avatar as shown below.

content.png

Clicking on "My content" will take you to this page -- which again resembles the "My profile" section of groups.community.sap.com.

mycontent.png

There are some differences. For example, as previously explained, bio information will be on the profile page, and any changes to your avatar in the content area won't affect the profile picture in the upper right of the navigation -- although it will be the image that appears in the community itself. But most notably: You'll see a sample of your badges here -- with the option to view them all! We'll have a whole new gamification system after migration, and we'll share information about that in the coming weeks, but we'll also recreate current badges so you don't lose recognition for past accomplishments. (Members will be unable to earn the older community badges after launch, however.)

On this content page, you'll see your various posts and interactions. You'll also see your username, and that's the name other members will use when they want to @mention you. For example: In the image above, my username is jerryjanda1, and if my colleagues wanted to notify me in content published in the test system, they would type @jerryjanda1.

Slightly below the username,  you'll also see a link for "My settings." Clicking that takes you to the same area accessible from the "Settings" and "Subscriptions" links in the profile dropdown.

The selections in the setting areas give you the ability to set up a variety of preferences. Since the options mostly match what's currently available in the groups.community.sap.com profile, we recommend that you set up a profile there before launch (if you haven't already) and familiarize yourself with the various options open to you. That's the best way to prepare for what's coming at launch.

Note that the profile available at migration won't be the final version. SAP IT will continue to roll out updates to SAP Profile after migration. We'll keep you posted!

One final (and important!) point: To continue with the community, you must set up an SAP Universal ID. See this post to learn more, so you'll be able to take advantage of all of the profile and content features coming in January!

33 Comments
BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor

Thanks for the information, Jerry!

Quick question regarding "You can also edit your bio and add things such as your social-media links via the "Contact Details" button in the upper right.":

Will there eventually be more than just two options - LinkedIn and Twitter - to show under contact information or will more be possible like on the current profile page where there's no restriction on what and how many links to add:

List in my current profile:

BaerbelWinkler_0-1703079813633.png

Whereas I only see two fixed options in the new profile:

BaerbelWinkler_1-1703079871935.png

Oh, and are there plans to allow more than 300 characters for the "About me" box? This restriction makes an easy copy and paste from the current profile impossible if the current profile made use of more text.

Thanks much & Cheers

Bärbel

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @BaerbelWinkler:

I don't know the answers to those questions, as the community team doesn't control the SAP Profile. I'm reaching out to the SAP IT team to see if they can provide more info.

All the best,

--Jerry

Johan_H
Active Contributor

Hi,

I set up my profile right away, when I saw the anouncement. To my surprise there was a very small maximum character limit to the username. So small, that my existing username (Johan Hakkesteegt) did not fit.

"If you have a profile on the community groups, that profile's username will be your username at launch. If not, your people.sap.com username will be the username post-migration."

Had I not setup that profile, according to you, my old username will be used. Which begs some questions:

• Will migrated usernames get truncated, or will the maximum character limit be changed?
  • If the latter, will I be able to update my username later?
  • If my newly made display name here on the groups site, happens to coincide with the username on the community site of another user, who did not setup a profile themselves, what will happen to the username / display name of that user?

On this site there is only a 'Display name' setting. Is that the same as username? This too raises some questions:

• The current community displays my name as 'Johan Hakkesteegt', but my username is 'johan.hakkesteegt'. Which one will be migrated? Which one would become the "Display name"?
  • If it is the username, will the dot (.) be replaced with an "allowed" character or will the policy be changed?
  • If the latter, will I be able to change it?
  • I am betting that a lot of users do not even realize that they have a username, let alone that it differes from their displayed name. Are you ready to deal with the flood of confusion that is bound to ensue?

On the community site, there are quite a few display names that are the same. They differ only by the username. So I suppose we can assume that the usernames will be migrated. This begs the question:

• Will the groups site be flooded with useless display names like "John1344", "John2578", "John6453" etc.?
  • Or will a new field be added to the settings, and both display name and username be migrated?
  • If not, most of the users I know, I only know by their displayed name. Their usernames are more often than not, quite cryptic. How will I know who is who after the migration? Or are you planning to blow up the entire social network aspect of the community?

Regards,

Johan

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

@Johan_H, I have asked colleagues from SAP IT to assist with answering your questions. Either they'll reply or I'll share whatever information they send to me.

Regards,

--Jerry

Mark-Pfister
Active Contributor

Thanks, @jerryjanda for sharing all the information and details!

I love the feature to use # to refer to the official SAP Product names. Is there an option to subscribe to certain products? #

Any chance that the user Display Name will allow for spaces?

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @Mark-Pfister:

You can subscribe to tags, if that's what you're asking. That's covered in this post: https://groups.community.sap.com/t5/what-s-new/some-managed-tags-are-being-updated-make-sure-to-upda....

I'm not aware of any plans to allow spaces in display names.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

parttimenerd
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

May I ask whether the "Employee since <date of registration to this platform>" could be changed in the future? It conveys the message that a user has been an employee since the given date, which might be confusing.

And is there any explanation about what the "Galactic X" roles of other users mean? Is this just related to their amount of Kudos or interactions? I'm just curious.

Regards

Johannes

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @parttimenerd:

I'll need to ask about the "employee since" date. For the "Galactic" roles, etc., that's all explained in the Help section (https://groups.community.sap.com/t5/help/faqpage/title/kudos) -- but don't get too attached to those. We'll be rolling out new rankings/badges as part of the new community's gamification system, and we'll share more details about that soon.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

DirkManuel
Active Contributor

How do you choose which of your earned badges are shown on your Profile Page, and why does the Grand Master Solver badge only have three stars - the same as the Master Solver badge?

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, @DirkManuel:

You can't change the badges that are displayed. For more on this topic, please see https://community.sap.com/t5/what-s-new/let-the-gamification-begin/ba-p/311892

Also, I'm not sure why the same badge displays for both Grand Master Solver/Master Solver. I'll report it.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

0012anirban
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

I published a blog post, but I don't see a re-share option to social media platforms.

Can you please help?

Regards

Anirban

DirkManuel
Active Contributor

@jerryjanda Re: Not being able to chose the badges displayed: Well, I don't like that...especially as they were re-added in "not the original order". So now the first badge listed on my profile page is a "First post" badge or something, and my Grand Master Solver badge is waaay down the list so will never be displayed there. Most of the time my list will show "Random Day Surprise" (worthless) or "Community Fan <month>" (also worthless) which kinda negates the point of kudos if no-one sees (without digging) your most meaningful (to them) achievements.

MaryKatherineJ
Contributor

Hi team,

I have been a long-time community user across many different community platforms, and I subscribed to many blogs, posts, and boards in the most recent previous community platform.  And until the January migration, all of my subscription notifications were sent to my company email address (marykatherine.johnson@terumobct.com) that is associated with my S-user ID.  When I created my SAP Universal ID (long before this latest migration), I used my personal email address as my SAP Universal ID and then linked my S-user ID from my company with my SAP ID (because that is the whole point of the universal SAP ID, right?)  But since the migration of the community to this new platform, all of my subscription notifications are going to my personal email associated with my SAP Universal ID, not to my company email associated with my S-User ID.  I NEED TO GET THIS CHANGED!   I do not want to receive SAP notifications in my personal email; I want to get them in my company email.

How can I fix this?  The email address shown under my username is my personal address and is not editable at this time, and none of the My Account options give me the option to change my email address on the community.  I do not want to change the email address on my SAP Universal ID, but I don't want my subscriptions going to that address either.  Help?

Thanks,
Mary Katherine Johnson

TuncayKaraca
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi @jerryjanda and SAP Community Team, 

Firstly I have two P-User IDs in my Universal ID and the account were switched after the migration. Luckily my content is there! Though I don't have a profile picture anymore!  So I wanted to change the profile and add a picture but I'm getting error "authorization_request_not_found"

TuncayKaraca_2-1706797808996.png

TuncayKaraca_1-1706797778790.png

I've tried directly on profile.sap.com in other browser sessions but I've got the same error. Why can't I update my profiles that are under Universal ID? 

Appreciate if somebody really give an attention and help. Thanks in advance! 

Thanks,
Tuncay

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MaryKatherineJ 
I actually had a very similar issue when the migration was done; notifications were going to one of my email addresses associated with my UID and I needed them to go to one of the other ones. I solved it by going to account.sap.com (the page for managing your UID account), then selected Personal Info. There, in the Universal ID E-mail field, I was able to change the entry to my other email address.

UIDEmail.jpg

Please note that the UID email address is what is used for SAP Community; there is no possibility to have one email for UID and a different email for SAP Community.

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager

@DirkManuel The badge for Grand Master Solver has been fixed. (Congratulations, by the way, for all you did to earn that distinction!)

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, @0012anirban:

You asked this question in multiple threads. Since we're getting so many questions and comments, we kindly ask that you ask once and be patient, as we will require some time to get caught up -- and having to process the same question just slows us down.

To answer your question: I'm afraid this platform no longer supports sharing directly to social media. Since I routinely share my posts (such as this What's New post) via my social channels, I copy the URL post and share that way.

Kind regards,

--Jerry 

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hello again, @DirkManuel:

Understood. As I mentioned in another response, we are capturing feedback to see where improvements are possible/can be made. So I've added this to our list.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

erptracker
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello SAP,

I missed the SAP post stating the bookmarks won't be migrated.  Is there a way I can access the old portal to download my bookmarks and then upload them back again into the new SAP Community portal.  The bookmarks is very important to me - hope you can assist.

Thank you

Len

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @TuncayKaraca:

I was able to update my profile pic this week, and this is the first time I'm seeing this reported as an issue. 

I'll need to check with some colleagues to see why you might be having a problem.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

TuncayKaraca
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@jerryjanda I've tried it again. It's same issue! Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to seeing the issue resolved.

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hello again, @TuncayKaraca:

One of my colleagues will be reaching out to you directly -- if he hasn't contacted you already.

All the best,

--Jerry

TuncayKaraca
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you, @jerryjanda 

Yes, @MirkoF has reached out to me and I've just replied back. 

Regards,
Tuncay

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, @erptracker 

Sorry, but I'm afraid that isn't possible.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

Srdjan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hello jerryjanda,

thank you for the detailed insight. 

I would like to be notified on new content of particular member but the "follow member" feature is apparently not available.

Can someone try to find out when this feature will be available again?

Thanks,

Srdjan

Johan_H
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi @Srdjan and @jerryjanda,

Just curious, I followed a few people in the previous system, but never got notified about anything back then. What sort of activity did you / are you supoosed to get notifcations of?

Regards,

Johan

Srdjan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

@Johan_H 

I used it to get notified of new blogs of particular member. 

Srdjan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Here are few more features apparently lost in transition

https://community.sap.com/t5/what-s-new/what-you-need-to-know-about-blogging-post-migration/bc-p/135...

Could someone please create the complete list of what is not available any more?

It would save the time members spend investigating where to find something which does not exist (number of views, follow member ...), then asking questions when it will be available, timeline ... and searching for answers ... 

I am sorry that new version has lost so much

Kim_Hornung
Associate
Associate
0 Kudos

How can I see how many people have read my post?

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, @Srdjan:

Following/Followers were migrated to profiles, but it's not part of "My content." I believe the ability to follow members again is coming -- I just don't know when, and if it's just on the profile level, I'm not entirely sure whether it would provide the ability to track activity based upon people you follow.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, @Kim_Hornung:

I cover that in this post: https://community.sap.com/t5/what-s-new/addressing-common-questions-and-complaints-about-the-new-pla.... Views are not currently available, but we're working to add them back. We'll share more information about delivery/dates as soon as we have that information.

Kind regards,

--Jerry 

Srdjan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Combo box styling looks like browser native, out of overall design context and it disappears when browser width reduced below 768px

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 19.32.08.png

RaminS
Participant

Is there any way of knowing whether a bug/issue is being worked on, ie. is there a priority list somewhere that we can at least know SAP has heard about it, so we don't waste time posting about it in multiple places?

I've seen the "Show Replies (n)" suggestion in a couple of places by different people, but no acknowledgment from SAP that it's part of their list.