What's New
Stay informed about the latest in SAP Community. Explore new developments, strategy updates, and program announcements shaping the future of our community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

The legacy SAP Community allowed members to earn karma points and badges by completing missions and acting productively (and positively!).

In the new platform, we’re moving away from points and missions, but we're still rewarding members for their behavior. In fact, on top of the ability to get badges, members can receive special privileges by moving up the community rank ladder. In addition, your past will have a bearing on the rank ladder, and you won't lose any old badges.  

If you're already an active community member, you likely earned many badges on previous platforms. As covered in the What's New post about the new profile, you'll be able to view (and show off) all your badges -- including legacy badges -- from the new "My content" section.

On the right side of that page (beneath the navigation), you'll see a snapshot of the five latest badges that you've earned.

jerryjanda_0-1705325911076.png

If you don't have five, you'll see the most current badges available. They'll remain grayed out until you earn them -- so make sure you take the necessary actions to add to your achievements!

jerryjanda_1-1705325911081.png

Clicking "View all badges" takes you to a page showing everything you've earned -- including badges from the previous platforms. Again, a grayed-out badge indicates one that is available but not earned:

allbadges2.png

Not sure what you did-- or need to do -- to earn a badge? Just click the badge, and you'll get a description. For example, if the steps necessary for the "First Reply" and "First Kudo Received" badges aren't self-explanatory…

jerryjanda_3-1705325911088.png

…you can check with a simple click on the badges:

jerryjanda_4-1705325911090.png

You can follow the same steps to view other members' badges. Each badge will also show when it was received and how many members earned it -- indicating the rarity of each.

jerryjanda_5-1705325911097.png

At launch, we'll introduce six new platform-specific badges -- some of which you can probably get almost immediately.

jerryjanda_6-1705325911107.png

Easy enough, right? Maybe too easy? Well if you're after a challenge, take the time to complete the new Tour the SAP Community 2024 tutorial. We've updated this annual tutorial to reflect our community's new home, plus, if you're new to SAP Community and want to participate in blogging, you'll need to complete this tutorial before you can submit blog posts. (You can learn more in the What's New post about blogging.)

You can usually earn a badge through a specific action, but the rank ladders track progress for ongoing activities. You climb the ladder as you make valuable contributions and engage positively with other members. You'll advance when you receive good feedback (e.g., kudos and accepted solutions), participate in threads, finish our (previously mentioned) tutorial, and so on. Blogging, joining and starting conversations, and answering questions all provide a path to rise the ranks, so you can focus on the areas that you enjoy the most. And as you move up, you can even unlock unique privileges!

The community will have two rank ladders: one for SAP employees, one for other members.

The rank ladder for non-employees includes these levels, achieved in this order (although, as I'll explain in a moment, some of the "Active" ranks are practically parallel):

• Newcomer
  • Discoverer
  • Explorer
  • Participant
  • Active Participant
  • Contributor
  • Active Contributor
  • Collaborator
  • Active Collaborator
  • Advocate

(There's also an SAP SuccessFactors Customer Alumni rank, but that's assigned manually for specific circumstances that don't apply to the majority of members, so I won't get into that here.)

You'll receive notifications when you go up a rank, and upon reaching some levels, you may be granted special permissions. For example, at the Active Contributor rank, you'll be able to accept or retract solutions for questions -- because, at that level, you'll have demonstrated a keen understanding of the community, Q&A, and SAP solutions. Also, around the Contributor/Participant/Collaborator levels, you can begin to specialize, as we know some people might prefer Q&A to blogging (and vice versa), so you can move in a direction that appeals to you and still move up.

To be clear: The entire community won't be starting at the lowest rank -- although, during the migration period of January 16 to 23, all SAP employees will show up as the Employee rank, whereas other members will have the Member rank. Once the migration ends and the SAP Community platform is no longer read-only, the real ranks will appear. If you're a community veteran, we'll be weighing your contributions, considering your behavior, and starting you at the rank you deserve for your previous participation.

The rank ladder for SAP employees ascends in this order, and we'll be sharing the associated privileges internally:

• Employee
  • Associate
  • Advisor
  • Product and Topic Expert

As you explore SAP Community, you may notice some SAP employees with ranks not on that list. Those ranks can't be earned -- they just indicate the employee's position. For example, Community Manager is reserved for members of the SAP Community operations team (such as moderators and yours truly), so if you see that rank below a member name in the platform, know that that person is available to assist you with any questions, comments, or concerns about SAP Community!

jerryjanda_7-1705325911113.png

You'll find a member's rank associated with his or her name wherever it appears in the platform -- on his or her "About" page, beneath a byline on posts, etc. For example, did you know I have a doppelganger in the staging system? (Fun fact: A German colleague once wanted to use that term in an email to me, but she didn't realize we use the same exact German word in English -- so she typed it as the literal English translation of "double-goer." Sorry, I digress…)

Anyway, jerryjanda isn't an SAP employee, and he's not active in the community -- because, let's face it, he's not as cool as I am. So he's at the Newcomer level…

jerryjanda_8-1705325911119.png

As you probably noticed, jerryjanda has plenty of room to grow in SAP Community (Staging). Whether you are new to the community or have been around for years, you'll find opportunities to advance up the ladder. We can even add rungs if enough members reach the top, and we can take into account important activities outside of the platform -- such as organizing (and speaking at) events -- because a truly vibrant community extends beyond community.sap.com.

One day, the elite members who work hard enough to scale the ladder may find themselves invited into exclusive areas of the community site. They may even get nominated automatically for our SAP Champions program!

The key is contributing quality, not to find quick workarounds to cheat your way up the ranks. This new gamification system is meant to motivate you, recognize you, and thank you for being the type of member who makes SAP Community better. Participate often, act kindly to other members, and the top rungs will be well within reach.

The more you do, the further you'll go -- with our appreciation!

4 Comments
Johan_H
Active Contributor

Hi @jerryjanda,

"In the new platform, we’re moving away from points and missions, but we're still rewarding members for their behavior. In fact, on top of the ability to get badges, members can receive special privileges by moving up the community rank ladder."

This sounds like a classical case of semantics. No more points and missions, but we do have kudoes and badges. Your (karma) points were a reflection of the effort put into the community, now Kudoes do the same thing. Missions were milestones of sorts that earned you badges, now badges require you to achieve some milestone. In other words, what's new?

How do you move up the "rank ladder"? What are the metrics?

Before 2016, points were a reward with clear metrics. That is gamification. They were also a good indicator of the quality of content. After 2016 SAP did away with points, because "some people were gaming the system". Karma points remained, and they were a reward at least to the user themselves, and a nice metric of how you were doing. At least Kudoes are visible to other users again.

Now we have Kudoes. Kudoes are a nice metric to see how you are doing. However Kudoes are rarely given in Q&A. Previously you at least got points for answering a question. Not anymore. That means that my motivation to put effort into the community is greatly reduced. Why would I, because in my heart of hearts I know that the person asking the question is probably gratefull? Most people who ask questions could not even be bothered to mark the answer as being correct, let alone give the answer a like. And what do you know, an accepted answer is not equal to a Kudoe. Effectively SAP is saying, that my answer, my effort is worthless.

All likes have been transformed to Kudoes though. So as a result, people who were nice enough to thank me in a comment for answering their question, which "thank you" comment I then gave a like..., they now have received kudoes for asking the question and I got zilch, nada, bupkiss for answering it. Guess what that does for my motivation?

Regards,

Johan

MartinMysyk
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Badges and missions were features we were really looking forward to in the new platform. This is really disappointing that we are moving away from this.

The engagement that this drove was much higher than what you will get without it. Could this be reconsidered? There should have been more discussion and input on this with the community.

christoph_weyd
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Answers to questions should be rewarded not the questions.

craigcmehil
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

@MartinMysyk badges still exist and the rank ladder is there for these purposes. Missions also still exist in the SAP Learning tutorials which are reflected here as well.