Application Development Blog Posts
Learn and share on deeper, cross technology development topics such as integration and connectivity, automation, cloud extensibility, developing at scale, and security.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos

Sometimes it is the little things that make the difference. Although I would normally recommend using central configuration, most of you are still going into individual systems to do your configuration. So I want you to know that this is also easier between two managed systems (see my previous blog for how to set up a landscape of managed systems connected to a central system).

Each ABAP system has a local Web services registry to which services are published when they are configured. There is much you can do to determine what and where things are published, but I am ignoring those options and will concentrate on the default behavior. When you set up the management connection to a central system, the system is automatically configured to publish to the Web services registry on the central system – I will call this the central registry.

How does this help? Say you want to configure a consumer in a system in a managed landscape. Because you are in a managed landscape, you know that the service you are interested in will have been published to the central registry. That alone is a big help. However, a very nice feature of the ABAP-based Web services registry is the option to search for compatible bindings.

If you choose the checkbox “Search for Compatible Bindings”, only those will be displayed. You do not even need to enter the name of the service that you are looking for. If there are several bindings that are compatible with the consumer, these will be displayed with an index that is an indication of the level of recommendation. For clarity, only the property values that are different are displayed, though you can pull up more information if you wish.

That is just one way that an ABAP-based services registry can make your Web-service life easier.