Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eclipse ATC Links only open in internet explorer

schmelto
Active Participant

I want to open links from the Eclipse ATC (ABAP Test Cockpit) directly in my system default browser (which is probably not the Internet Explorer (IE)) but I changed allready the default apps in my computer settings and in the Eclipse parameters. However it still open ATC Links with the IE...

My settings:

16 REPLIES 16

joltdx
Active Contributor

It's the same for me when I test. Also, shift+click in the ABAP Language Help opens Internet Explorer. However finding a Web Dynpro and clicking that URL is opening in Chrome, as well as a service binding.

Those ADT views are displaying HTML, I guess in the Eclipse internal browser, which then for some reason launches IE to go external and not as per the user settings... thomasfiedler, can you share some details here?

niba1
Employee
Employee

Hello Tom,

we had a look at this issue and could confirm that external links are currently always mistakenly opened in IE no matter which browser is configured in the preferences. We will work on a correction for this,

Regards,

Nils

schmelto
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hey niba, ist there any update on this issue?

0 Kudos

Hello Tom,

we checked this but unfortunately we cannot solve this issue in our ADT plugins. We addressed the issue to Eclipse. They are aware of it and started working on a solution but I cannot yet tell when it will be available.

Regards,
Nils

Mithun_Kumar
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi niba,

It's been over a year since this last comment, and we're on Eclipse 2022-03 with ADT 3.24.x... Even Microsoft is going to kill off Internet explorer 11 soon. But ADT still opens the links in IE, like a spoilt brat.

Any ideas if this issue can fixed anytime soon?

0 Kudos

Hi Mithun,

Eclipse is currently using the embedded IE engine to render embedded HTML. From ADT side we cannot influence how external links are opened, this is completely decided by the IE engine. Eclipse wants to switch to the Edge/Chromium engine, but I have no information when this will actually happen. While IE itself will be retired, Microsoft will continue the support for the IE engine. However I cannot tell how the engine will react once IE is gone.

Regards,
Nils

Hi

SWT FAQ, Q: How do I specify the default type of native renderer that is used by the Browser?

Try to add -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType=edge in eclipse.ini. For me, on SAP_BASIS 756 the webdynpro layout preview started to work again. (latest Eclipse, of course)

Seems, there is an issue in ADT - they still use Browser control with Internet Explorer...

Regards

Alexander

gregorw
Active Contributor

Hey niba,

is this issue fixed in the meantime?

Best Regards
Gregor

Attila
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank You, that workaround helped on 7.56 !

aldo_buson
Explorer

still broken

marvin_heibert
Participant

We have the same issue with the ABAP Help in Eclipse.

I have created an SAP incident :

768626 / 2022 Eclipse ABAP Help Links only open in internet explorer

be-curious
Discoverer

Gibt es für das Problem schon eine Lösung? Im ADT wird die Layout Ansicht einer WebdynproView noch immer mit folgender Fehlermeldung abgewehrt.

Browser not supported

Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 and other legacy browsers are no longer supported. For more information see note 1672817.

Standardbrowser sowie Browsereigenschaften im ADT stehen auf "Chrome" in einer aktuellen Version.

schmelto
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Bei mir funktioniert es leider auch immer noch nicht.

martin_stumm
Discoverer

Same here opening Web Dynpro ABAP runs into

"Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 and other legacy browsers are no longer supported. For more information see note 1672817."

error even when configuring external web browser like chrome. Please support

Only workaround is to log on via sap gui instead of eclipse then the SE80 Editor is shown which is working.

stefan_eisen
Explorer

Still not possible to open links in ADT with other browser than IE ... When will this be solved? The message of niba was more than 2 years ago now!

thomasfiedler: any comment on this?

Edit: at least the hint one in the comment https://answers.sap.com/comments/13629206/view.html of alexdemi is working for the edge browser. Don't kno how to do that for Firefox (neather "firefox" nor "Firefox" worked here).

Armin_Beil
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Everybody,

ADT version 3.34.2 and higher contains a work around for opening links

• from ATC
  • from ABAP language help / F1 help

These links are now opened in the OS default browser. The improved ADT version is available via the usual distribution channels (e.g. via https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/#abap)

However the work around does not apply to

• the ADT web dynpro tooling
  • the links from within the ADT tools documentation (Help -> Help content)

The actual root problem cannot be properly solved by the ADT plugins but it has to be solved on the Eclipse core layer. The Eclipse working group is already aware of this important topic.

Best regards,
Armin