Human Capital Management Blogs by Members
Gain valuable knowledge and tips on SAP SuccessFactors HCM suite and human capital management market from member blog posts. Share your insights with a post of your own.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vidushi
Active Participant

Customers often want to know how the configuration transition across landscape takes place in SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central. Instance sync is used to transition configurations from one instance to another, if your system landscape includes DEV, TEST & PRODUCTION Jobs will be initiated in DEV & TEST will become the target of sync jobs started in Dev. In Test you will initiate the Jobs & PROD will become the target of sync jobs initiated in TEST.

Instance sync uses the PUSH mechanism to transition the configuration from one instance to another. PUSH mechanism means that the necessary configurations are selectively pushed from source instance to target instance.

Step 1 -  The first step for instance sync to work is to set up the pairing done between the source system to the target system. To do the Pairing logon to Provisioning -> Company Settings -> Instance synchronization Company Permissions -> 'Configure Instance in different Data Center' or 'Configure Instance in the same Data Center' section.

If the data center is same for source & target instance Select “Configure instance in the same data center” else select the “configure instance in different data Center”. Make the following entries and save. Once the pairing done, you are ready to synchronize configurations.

Step 2 -  To synchronize now Log on to Source instance --> Action tool bar --> Instance synchronization wizard

1. Enter Data center

2. Select the target environment

3. Enter the target instance ID and hit Go.

Step 3 - Next screen will open the Artifacts that can be synched. At 1808 Following Artifacts can be synched –

Home Page Configuration Settings
PM Templates
Competencies
Families and Roles
Route Maps
Rating Scales
Form Label Translations
Picklists
Dashboard Settings
System Properties
RBP Permission Roles and Groups
Foundation Objects
MDF Data
MDF Picklist
MDF Object Definition
MDF Config UI
Data Model

Select the Artifact that need to be synched. Here in this case I am selecting MDF Object definition

Once selected  hit START

Enter the following details. Click Next.

Step 4 -  Now select the MDF object you want to sync click Next --> Simulate --> Run if successful, else troubleshoot the error and run the sync again.

Order of synchronization -

For Employee Central objects, we can follow the below approach / Order of synchronization. It mostly depends on your configuration and may vary from customer to customer. If you have configured custom MDF Objects & referred them in Data Models, then below order can be followed. Below order was successful with core employee central and Time off with LOA only solution.

1. Custom MDF

2. Data Models

3. Picklists legacy / MDF

4. Workflow groups / Dynamic Role

5. Event & workflow

6. Business Rules

7. Time types / Time profiles

8. RBP Roles

9. RBP Groups

10. Home Page

Some of these Artifacts are data dependent & would be  synched once the data is loaded in the system such as RBP Groups. Once the configurations are in the system you are ready to upload data.

3 Comments
ZAMY_2018
Participant
Hello Vidushi,

Thank you for sharing the details steps. Need one little information in Step1; unless source & target instance details are not provided in provisioning settings, the "Instance synchronization wizard" data will not be appearing, right?

is this the Best Practice that can be considered for the order you have explained here?

Thanks in advance.

Amit.

Vidushi
Active Participant
Hi Amit,

That's Correct. Unless you have done the pairing between the source and target instance it wont be reflected in "Instance synchronization Wizard" Data. The order which I specified here is purely based upon the experience /approach that can be followed for configuration of employee central with time off for LOA only.

Thanks & Regards

Vidushi
alichahrour1
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello vidushi.kaushal

i have this error and i can't find any solution.

Do you have any hints for me how I can solve this problem?

Best regards, Ali
Labels in this area