Human Capital Management Blogs by SAP
Get insider info on SAP SuccessFactors HCM suite for core HR and payroll, time and attendance, talent management, employee experience management, and more in this SAP blog.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Volker_Ruof
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi,

again a short how-to blog on setting up EC Time Valuation in order to illustrate how a real life customer requirement can be covered in EC Time. This shall demonstrate how to best use the different time valuation types - and also to show that it is less complicated as it looks ;-).

Business requirement is to have a validation that a dedicated overtime time type can only be recorded outside the employees scheduled working time and not during the employees scheduled working time.

You know that there are always several ways how customer want to have their overtime processes covered. Customers can choose to have only 1 attendance time type to be recorded by employees and the time valuation sorts out in its daily, weekly or monthly calculations what is overtime and what normal working time, thus generating overtime pay types or regular paid types.

But some customers want that employees explicitly record a dedicated "overtime" time type. Be it for better reporting purpose (but here you could report on time valuation results, too) or to trigger a time sheet workflow only when this time type is recorded (but here again in the workflow rule the time valuation results can be queried) or due to the explicit action that an employee simply need to record something different than his normal working time.

So, when customers want employees to record an explicit overtime time type they often want that this time type is validated to be recorded only outside their scheduled working time. This requirement is best covered within the time valuation rules. But wait, why not using the time sheet validation rules based on business rules for it? Cause it is much more complicated to set this up with the business rules and it is slow in performance.

With the time sheet valuation rules it is much more easier, you need only 1 small rule:

As a precondition you need to have already time type groups created that collect the scheduled working time and the recorded overtime - but this you need to do anyway when you want to use the time sheet. Looks like this:

Scheduled working time:

And overtime:

Lets look onto the time valuation rule then. You need one that contains the time valuation type "Deduct Group from Input Group" and you need to use the above mentioned "Scheduled working time" and the "Recorded overtime". Lets just look how this rule looks like:

So, what´s going on in there?

The input time type group "scheduled working time" per day is checked against the deduction group "Recorded overtime".  When there is a time slice containing an overlap of this two time type groups an entry is written to the time type group stated in the time type group below field. This is simply a kind of dummy-time type group that we need to raise an error on it. It is not important how many hours are put into this time type group nor on which day, the sheer fact that there is a value in it states that there is an overlap and this is enough for our purpose. Cause this means in the end that an recorded time type "overtime" overlaps with the scheduled working time per day. And this should not happen. Hence, I raise an error message by seting the error flag to "raise error message on time type group below" and as a message text I choose for example: "Overtime can only be recorded outside planned time".

Done. Nice, clean and easy. Result in the time sheet looks when an overtime time type is recorded outside the planned time looks like this:

All good, no error. You can see that the scheduled time is 08:00 - 17:00 and I recorded overtiem from 17:00 - 21:00. But when I record overtime outside the planned time....

... the defined error message pops-up. And this works not only when the record is completly inside the scheduled time, but also partially inside and partially outside:

Let me add some finetuning suggestion:

You don´t have to create dozend of valuation rules when you have got dozend of time types that you want to veto when recorded inside the planned working time.

When the time types are of the same category (like attendance, absence, on call...) you just add them as Input time type when you define the time type group that you want to use as "deduction group" or "input time type group" in the time valuation rule.

However, when you have got multiple time types of different category (overtime and on-call for example) then you can´t mix them into 1 time type group. You better adapt the above mentioned rule in a way that you exchange the value in the "input time type group" with the time type group you have entered in the "deduction group". Cause a deduction group can only be 1, whereas as input time type group you can enter multiple time type groups. Hence you can assign here time type groups that collect on call time types and time type groups that collect overtime time types. Means the "deduct" time valuation type works vice versa the same way.

Looks like this:

I just exchanged the "deduction group" with the "input time type group" entries and added there a new time type group that collects the on-call times.

And of course the error message needs to be more generic when you enter more Input time type groups. It can´t be something like: "Overtime allowed only outside planned time" when the user tries to record an on call time type 😉

End of story. Hope this little example of how the "Deduct Group from Input Group" can be used was helpful to you.

Regards

Volker
22 Comments
Former Member
0 Kudos
Useful Info.Thank you
NagaSwathiTJ
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
This article is so informative and useful

especially while implementing EC Time and EC Timesheet for manufacturing organisations

thabks Volker for sharing this knowledge

Volker_Ruof
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks
Volker_Ruof
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Appreciate your feedback. Good to know that it helps. Thanks
JanRoubal
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks Volker. Great job.
phildeane
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks Volker.These kind of blogs really help. A lot!

How about a slight variation on this requirement.

Not using clock based time recorders, but simple work schedules, with a number of planned hours each day. The validation required is that time type ‘normal working time’ cannot exceed the planned hours for that day.

The idea being they would have to use a different time type to capture ‘additional hours’. Is there a function to get planned hours for that day, for that employee that can be used within the rules?
Volker_Ruof
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Phil,

yes this is possible as well. But why this complexity? Why not using simply 1 Timetype that represents simply "attendance time" and the overtime premiums are calculated based on this 1 timetype? What is the benefit of having employees to choose an extra "additional hours" time type"?
Time Valuation reasons? As said, you can get the same results for overtime payments with 1 single time type.
Reporting? You can report on time valuation results that gives you the calculated overtime.
Approval? Manager sees on the approval screen the calculated overtime portion even when only 1 timetype for attendance is recorded.

So, why this complexity?

But if you nevertheless want to implement it the way you asked you will need to implement two checks

Check1: Working time is not allowed to be bigger than planned time.
This valuation rule is quite simple. Check my other blogs, I have already explained on how to create error messages when value x (recorded working time) is bigger than value y(scheduled working time). Rule function here is: Aggregate Input groups and split.

So, this is quite easy. But you don´t want that employees record "Overtime" or "additional hours" when the bucket of the planned time is not covered with the "normal working time", right?

Hence you need to check if the normal working time is equal to the planned time, and then the timetype "additional hours" is allowed.

You need two rules for this. In first rule you calculate the difference of recorded working time and scheduled time and store this in a time type group. For duration based you need to use the valuation method "Difference between Input and Threshold". You compare scheduled/planned time per day (as threshold time type group) with Input time type group "Working time" (or however you call it). The result is put into the "below time type group" section and represents the hours worked that are less the planned time.

In the second rule you pick up this calculated value (less hours than planned). Use the "route" time valuation method (If you don´t know how it works, check out my other blog that I have written on this function). Input time type group is the recorded overtime. The comparison group is the above calculated difference. You compare this against threshold fix value 0. So, you check if less hours exist when a time type "overtime" is recorded. If yes, means if value bigger 0, than this value is routed into the above time type group. And you can create an error based on the above time type group than.

So, possible. I checked it in my system. Works smooth and fine.

phildeane
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks Volker that’s brilliant!

So, rather than trying to use a validation rule, I have moved to the split and aggregate method as you suggested. I have a time type group for the Scheduled Working Time being used as the ‘Dynamic’ Threshold Group and with a valuation method of weekly which fires an error on the time type group above. This is great.

However…. Is it possible for flexibility around the Threshold Group that represents ‘Scheduled Working Time’? The Scheduled Working Time needs to consider any absences. If the work scheduled is 8 hours a day for 5 days, and the employee have 3 days off, the weekly threshold value should be  16 hours to reflect the planned working time for the week.

Maybe I have missed a configuration setting on the absence time type which would deduct it as this Planned Working Time is also miss represented in the approval workflow. In the Approval Overview popup when the approver sees the and overview consisting of

• Period

• Planned Working Time

• Recorded Working Time

This planned working time doesn’t consider absences so to the approver it looks like there is time missing.
Volker_Ruof
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Phil,

sure, why not? How the "scheduled working time" type group is calculated is up to you. If you want to deduct recorded absences you create a rule that takes the scheduled working time, compares it with a time type group in which you put all possible absences and you do a aggregate input group and split valuation. The remaining value is the scheduled time less absences. When there are no absences, the full planned time is remaining.

This is for the time valuation purpose. But you always have two options for those kind of queries: either you deduct the absences from the planned time, but then semantically, it is not any more "scheduled" or planned time. Cause that the employee was planned in your example on Thursday / Friday did not change. So usually for overtime calculations absences are not deducted from the threshold, but of course you need to add them to the recorded working time.

So, in an easy example:

Weekly overtime calculation. Planned time 5 days with 8 hours. Full day absence on Thursday / Friday. The overtime threshold normally is still 40 hours. You don´t deduct the absences here. But you count against the threshold not only the recorded working time, but also recorded absences (mostly even unpaid absences).

For the workflow UI and for the homepage tile the above mentioned is not relevant, cause there it is hard coded behaviour and cannot be configured. There we applied a logic that simply collects all recorded attendance times. Not absences. Reason is: the manager does not approve the absences (separate workflow) but only the attendances in the time sheet. The information is indeed not really useful when the employee has a 3-days vacation and worked on the other two days 30 hours (theoretically). Let me think if an adaptation here makes sense. But you get into tricky constellations then: Time Sheet is sent to the approver and includes the absence hours, in the meantime the manager has declined the absence request (or the employee withdrawn) so that the absence hours should not appear anymore in the time sheet workflow summary. Let me check if the data is stored or always read upon user interface call.

Regards

Volker
parthu6
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks a lot and it is very useful information Rouf.
0 Kudos
Hi Volker,

Thanks for the useful information.

I have a question if the overtime approval is supported? Currently we are using time clock (clock in and out) instead of duration base. Assuming the standard working hour is 08:00 to 17:00, and employee actual clock time is 08:00 to 19:00. In general, the system can calculate 2 hour of overtime. Is there anyway that these 2 hour need to be approved first or the manager would like to only approve 1 hour of overtime i.e. 17:00 to 18:00

Thanks.

Regards,

Bryan
Volker_Ruof
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hello Bryan,

sorry for coming back to you late. But check my blog that I gonna write on the Q1 2020 release. There might be something in it that could cover your requirement 😉

Best regards

Volker
0 Kudos
volker.ruof ,

Is it possible to have some business rule to validate the valuation result. For example employee shall not able to submit time sheet below 40 hours. I tried to set the error at the time valuation but it is checking each day. I just want to check before submission.

Thanks.

Regards,

Bryan
adriangalisteo
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Volker

Is this still working with time tracking? I mean when i use it clocking in the events within the time sheet, the error message appears and the events do not get imported to the time sheet records, but, does this work in the New home page clock in function? Does the error message appear there or will let the employee clock in it anyway? It looks that accepts anything even if it has error messages attached in their valuations

regards

Volker_Ruof
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hello Adrian,

can you describe the scenario that you want to achieve? Cause when you have clock in / out you usually have during the week only 1 of the events that violate, for example your planned time is 08:00 - 17:00 and you clock in at 08:00, but you clock out at 18:00. Or do you expect the employee clocks out at 17:00 and does another clock in with "overtime reason"?

Cause then the above scenario works as well.

You can map the clock in / out combination to a timetype, so you could configure time event reason "overtime" and map it to an "overtime time type".

However- it will always give you only an error in the time sheet via time valuation. The home page web clock does not know anything of the planned time. It allows you to perform the clock in / out, and the time valuation takes care on the rest.

Best regards

Volker

EvangeliaPanagi
Participant
0 Kudos
HI Volker, in your above example, it seems that Public Holidays are not taken into consideration with regards to comparing Scheduled Working Time. Meaning that if I have a Time Valuation, like in your example provided, I would expect that this Valuation would not raise the Error Message when my Day is a Public Holiday. However, the system dos raise an Error Message. Does this mean that I need to differentiate what my Scheduled Working Time consists of?

Thanks,

Evangelia
Volker_Ruof
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Evangelia,

yes, scheduled working time is filled on a public holiday - this is necessary for companies paying the same shift differentials on public holidays as if the employee had on a normal working day. This is called as-if payment.

Or companies that do not pay base overtime pay if the overtime on a public holiday is during the original planned hours. That´s why the scheduled working time is filled on a public holiday.

Consider using a time type group of category "actual planned working time" instead. This is the planned time mixed with the public holiday calendar information. This would give you on a public holiday 0 planned hours. Try it out.

Best regards

Volker

parthu6
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rouf,

Nice blog,

Can we convert Overtime Hours into Planned Working hours in Time Type Groups (Below/Above)

Example:

Planned hours: 8

Overtime reocrded : 3 hours

Since the employee recorded overtime less than planned hours so he is eligible for Full Day OT (8 hours Payment)

Overtime = 3 hours

Pay = 8 hours not 3 hours.

So how we can pass 8 hours when an employee reported Overtime less then his/her planned hours.

is it possible to show planned hours based on employee reported Overtime 

Overtime 3 hours but should show Overtime 8 hours (planned hours) if Overtime 9 hours then should show overtime 9 hours (no planned hours).

Thanks in Advance,

Parthu.

parthu6
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Volker,

Can we validate both per day and whole sheet in one profile. There is a scenario if an employee report 4 hours OT then 3 hours will be paid on 1.5 and rest 1 hour is OT 2.0. means upto 3 hours 1.5 pay and more than 3 hours 2.0 pay but in a week if he/she reaches 10 hrs then all greater than 10 hrs will go to 2.0 pay. is it possible to set up in EC Time Sheet.

For your better understanding find the example

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
Overtime 4 2 4 2 2 1 2
sum total
split at 3hrs Rate 1.5 3 2 3 0 0
Rate 2 1 1 2 2 1 2
10hrs met

Thanks,

Parthu
Volker_Ruof
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
parthu69 : yes of course. This is a combination of a daily and weekly overtime calculation. This is possible since probably 2014 ;-).

Best regards

Volker
parthu6
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Volker,

Thank you for the information. I'll try in the system

Thanks,

Parthu.
parthu6
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Volker,

Hope you are doing well. Sorry for delay. I tried and its working.

Thanks,

Parthu.