Human Capital Management Blogs by SAP
Get insider info on SAP SuccessFactors HCM suite for core HR and payroll, time and attendance, talent management, employee experience management, and more in this SAP blog.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anton_Mavrin
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

I see this HAL 9000 indicator every time I convert a simulation to an audio project using the Windows Text-To-Speech (TTS) engine. Why should we keep using it in 2023 when a super cool alternative is offered by Google Cloud Platform and natively supported by SAP Enable Now? Yes, this blog post will be about setting up the Google TTS in the SAP Enable Now, so you could forget about robotic Dave and insensitive Zira.

Google Cloud Platform Setup

1. You must create a Google Cloud Platform (GCP) account. The trial one is perfectly fine 🙂 You can use this link to register. This Quick Start video from Google is also very helpful.

2. Once the registration is completed and you log into the GCP, we must create a new project. Expand the hamburger menu, find the IAM & Admin - Create a Project. Otherwise, try this direct link.

3. Assign a name to your new project. I'll go with sen-tts.

1. After creating the project, navigate to APIs & Services, choose Enable APIs and Services

1. Look for "Text to Speech" using the search bar.

2. Choose this one and enable it

1. How much does it cost? The official GCP pricing you can get here. For my proudly Canadian friends and customers, converting up to 4 million characters to speech will cost 0 (zero) dollars. For every additional 1.000.000 characters, we need to pay just 5.31 dollars. Canadian, of course. In USD, it's even cheaper. The 4M free characters quota is provided every month. So, probably, for many of us, this service will be absolutely free.

1. The GCP will automatically redirect you to the newly activated TTS Service Page, go back to the APIs & Services, and select Credentials to create an API key.

1. Save your API key. Also, it might be a bright idea to limit the usage of this API key to the Google TTS service only. You can do it by clicking the Edit Key link on the newly generated API key popup or by clicking on the API key on the APIs and Services - Credentials screen

Congrats! You've completed the setup on the GCP side. Now, let's move to the SAP Enable Now Producer.

SAP Enable Now Producer Setup

1. Open the simulation project.

2. Convert it to an audio project (if it has no audio) by clicking Project - Convert to Audio Project

3. Select Audio - Generate Text-to-Speech Audio

4. Then click the Configure Text-to-Speech Services

5. Select the Google Text-to-Speech, paste your API key and click Validate.

Congrats!

Now enjoy more than 40 variations of English voice, 15+ options for each content language supported by SAP Enable Now.

The last thing: you can make the Google TTS sound totally natural i.e. by telling it where to make a long pause, what words to emphasize, how to pronounce particular acronyms, numbers etc, by adding the Speech Synthesis Markup Language.

P.S. You can also enable this feature for all content developers in the Authoring settings - Audio
5 Comments
Wallace
Active Participant
Thanks for this, to me it could represent an easy way to get some audio into some of our items, and with a more neutral/globally accepted voice than regional accents/voiceovers.

Wallace
Anton_Mavrin
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Wallace,

I'm very glad you found this helpful.

Best Regards, Anton
kakashi_h
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for writing a great article and instructions along with it Mavrin. I have a follow-up question.

Could you please let me know the minimum version requirement to enable google text-to-speech configurations in SEN. Please refer below snap for the version we have right now. This is SEN on-prem environment.

SEN on-prem version snap

Anton_Mavrin
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Kakashi,

As far as I remember, we started offering this option in February 2019, so your Producer should be compatible as it looks like you're with 1911 HF1.

kakashi_h
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Anton,

I can confirm that our version has the setup under following menu options. It was not under written menu options.

Thanks again for your time to reply. Fingers crossed if we could pass Google SSML via SEN to generate custom narrations.