Customers using Goals/Group Goals in legacy version of Goals Management who need to continue using the same existing goal plan template in the latest version of Goal Management (Reimagined Goals UI), as oppose to uploading/creating a new template for a new goal cycle to start fresh.
You may have seen article: https://groups.community.sap.com/t5/product-and-customer-updates/plans-underway-to-make-latest-versi... that we have plans to Universal Push all customers to latest version of Goal Management in 2H 2024 (tentative date). Therefore it will eventually become inevitable that you have to review how this upgrade impacts to existing templates. We highly recommend you plan your upgrade before we universal push to reduce disruption of your goal cycle to a minimum.
We always recommend starting a new template when upgrade to latest version of Goal Management.
Most customers create new goal plans every year. A customer wanting to roll out latest version of Goals Management in the middle of the year has to be dealt with caution.
Please understand that reimagined goals is NOT just a user interface upgrade. It introduces new functionality and new ways of working (integration to CPM, OKR, etc). It is not, and was never intended to be a flip of the switch upgrade. Customers with very simple configurations will have very small impacts, however customers with more complex processes will certainly need to be more thoughtful when they move to the new version.
Read on if you still want to use the same goal plan template in the latest version of Goal Management.
Scenarios and Best Practices
You are using a 2023 goal plan template right now and want to upgrade to latest version of Goal Management in 2024 year using a different goal plan template.
This should be the easiest scenario.
- Finish off the 2023 goal cycle in legacy goals
- Upgrade to latest version of goals
- Create a new template for 2024 goal plan
You are using a 2023 goal plan template right now and want to upgrade to latest version of Goal Management in the middle of this goal cycle year using the same goal plan template. You don't have group goals created in that old template.
You are using a 2023 goal plan template right now and want to upgrade to latest version of Goal Management in the middle of this goal cycle year using the same goal plan template. You have group goals created in that old template.
- Read about the overview of latest version here: https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_SUCCESSFACTORS_PERFORMANCE_AND_GOALS/4a24e48b5c384b18a81f6b661305021e/... make sure you are well aware of its reduced scope, limitations and changes to goal plan templates
- Proceed to upgrade to latest version of goals
- You CANNOT convert templates containing Group Goals in them, this is not supported due to its complications and disruptions it will cause to ongoing Performance Forms.
- You MUST create a new template after you upgrade to latest version of Goal Management, hence taking us back to Scenario 1.
You have overlapping cycles – the 2023 goal plan will be left open for 2-3 months whilst the reviews happen (often via a Performance Form) and final changes are made, and the 2024 goal plan is already opened for the new year.
- Continue with the old cycle, the 2023 goal plan in legacy goals and finish that off
- At the same time, go ahead with creating a new goal cycle 2024 goal plan still in legacy goals (but don’t create group goals for the new cycle yet, you can create Team Goals though, this is to prepare for the future template conversion)
- After old cycle is completed, now upgrade to latest version of goals
- Convert existing 2024 goal plan (this should work due to no group goals being present), read more about how to convert here: https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_SUCCESSFACTORS_PERFORMANCE_AND_GOALS/4a24e48b5c384b18a81f6b661305021e/...
- At this point the old 2023 goal plan would have finished and will be in read only mode once you are upgraded to latest version of goal management, so you don't need to keep maintaining and changing the data in it. Continuing using new 2024 goal plan in latest goals, and integration with Performance Forms will also stay intact
Leave a comment to any questions and I will get back to you as soon as possible!