Supply Chain Management Blogs by Members
Learn about SAP SCM software from firsthand experiences of community members. Share your own post and join the conversation about supply chain management.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
former_member640136
Discoverer
A Service Technician upon visiting customer site may realise that he is short of a spare part. The operation is at critical juncture and there is an urgency to procure the spare part.

The Service Technician will have to rush to the warehouse, get the stock transferred to his vanstock, and then go back to Customer Site to complete the pending task. This would cost him the precious time which is always of essence while serving the Customer’s request. The Service Technician may be able to complete his task or may have to continue the next day, depending on the nature of service requested, but the time delay in obtaining the much needed stock from warehouse could have been avoided.

Now we cannot expect the Service Technician to always carry the necessary stock in adequate numbers in his vanstock. It is also not always possible to surmise the spare parts that would be required to fix / resolve the issue lodged by a customer.

Nevertheless, the Service Technician can reduce the time delay in procuring the missing spare part by optimally using the functionalities of SAP FSM efficiently.

The Service Technician can check the stock availability by choosing ‘Options -> Items and Stocks’

The Technician can search for the required spare part and navigate to the details screen.

To check the stock availability in the warehouses, the Technician will have to click on ‘Stock Information’.

The Stock information for the material will be displayed as shown below:

Once the Technician finds out the nearest warehouse which has the stock he can contact the planner to perform stock transfer option at the backend and add the component to his operation so that he can consume it. Once the transfer is done, the Technician can either himself fetch the spare part or get it transferred to him from the warehouse while he attends to the service at the customer site.

Due to efficient usage of FSM Functionalities the Service Technician reduced the time which would otherwise have been wasted on going back to his assigned warehouse and checking if the spare part is available. In case of stocks unavailability in that assigned warehouse, the Technician would have had to visit other warehouses causing further delay. With the SAP FSM, the stock availability at the warehouses is at Service Technician’s finger tips.

Now that the Service Technician has the required spare part, he is successful in performing the required service at the Customer Site within the stipulated time to the Customer’s delight. At the end of the operation, he realises that he is still in possession of one unused spare part.

The Service Technician can return it to the warehouse but as the spare part is commonly used while resolving customer’s issues, he wants to keep it in his vanstock so that he can use it in dire situation.

Using SAP FSM, the Service Technician can transfer the unused stock to his vanstock. The Service Technician’s vanstock can be represented in SAP system as a storage location. In SAP FSM, the Service Technician will have to click on ‘Take to own stock’

The Service Technician’s vanstock is represented in form of a storage location. He can choose the same to transfer the stock.

The Stock gets transferred to the Vanstock of the Technician (STO). The Technician can consume it directly from his vanstock when need arises.
2 Comments
0 Kudos
Appreciate the details on Van stock and how inter-transfer of spare parts can happen between technicians.
0 Kudos
Hi.

Thank you for the explanaition. I have a question and hope you can answer it to me. As a technician, I can't see the reserved material in order to use it from the app. If I switch the user from Service Technician to a "default" user in in "users" configuration, then the RM appears. I supposed that it was a matter of permission configuration in the "user groups". I tried to copy that configuration in the related business objects related to items, warehouses, stock and material, and yet i can not see anything as a technician. Hope you can help me.

Best regards.
Labels in this area