Welcome Corner Blog Posts
Go a little bit deeper into the Welcome Corner with blog posts. Learn how to get started in SAP Community and get tips on maximizing your participation.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenastodal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Annually, people around the world celebrate Arbor Day by planting trees in their communities. Arbor Day gets celebrated all around the world and does not fall on the same day every year, but it is usually in spring when the ground is not frozen anymore that makes it easier to plant new trees. SAP Community chose to celebrate a whole week in April (24th -28th) to combine two global Arbor Days, the one in Germany on April 25, and the one in the USA on April 28.

The holiday originated in the United States. The first Arbor Day was held in Nebraska City in 1872 and saw engaged citizens plant an estimated 1 million trees.

SAP is an enabler and exemplar of sustainability and committed to take much-needed climate action. To restore ecosystems and foster sustainable development, SAP has added the goal of planting 21 million trees by the end of 2025 to a comprehensive portfolio of climate measures.
In support of this objective, SAP will plant a tree for every SAP Community member who is actively participating in SAP Community (every engagement counts) from April 24-28, with a goal of reaching 20,000 trees!

Yes, you read correctly, by being active in SAP Community, you will not only be engaging with our vibrant community of experts, but also making a positive impact on the environment.
We are happy to celebrate Arbor Week with you all! Together, we want to reach our goal of planting 20,000 trees in the name of SAP during Arbor Week. For every active contribution of yours made during this time here in SAP Community, SAP will plant a tree. Why the goal of 20,000 trees? We want to plant 1,000 for each year of SAP Community's existence.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SAP COMMUNITY!
We want to dedicate this initiative to
SAP Community's 20th anniversary

So, hit the Like buttons, chime into the conversations in our various Groups, comment on our many blog posts, answer questions by other community members, and let us know what you're doing during Arbor Week. This initiative is also a great way to get involved in your local community; have a look - your city or the city near you might be already waiting for you to join!
SAP Community members can help make Arbor Week happen! 

Why should you get involved?

Trees are an essential part of the natural world, providing a wide range of benefits to the environment, society, and the economy. From providing shade and shelter to producing oxygen and absorbing carbon dioxide, trees play a crucial role in maintaining the health & well-being of our planet. They are a critical element in sustainable living and a natural, renewable resource that can be used in a wide range of ways without depleting the earth's resources.

Sustainability directly links to SAP's purpose of helping the world run better and improve people's lives. This means creating positive economic, environmental, and social impact within planetary boundaries. To live up to this ambition, SAP provides its customers with products and services that help meet their sustainability opportunities and challenges. SAP also leads by example and strives to be a role model for sustainable operations and investments. Climate change and planetary stability are two of the most pressing challenges of our time and we are committed to act now.

Last but not least, I wanted to share some more tips how you can celebrate Arbor Week: 

• by reading books about trees, and learn to identify trees in your yard and neighbourhood

• by enjoying the outdoors and visit a local park or take a nature hike

• by attending a class on tree and plant care

• by volunteering with a local tree-planting organisation

• by walking in a local park and appreciate everything trees do for us

• by making a donation to have more trees planted in areas where they're needed most

• by planting a tree yourself; either on your own property, or volunteer with your local government agency to plant or care for trees on public land in your area
    (Don't forget to share a picture of you planting trees in the comments!)

• and of course, you can simply visit trees, sit under trees, appreciate trees, hug trees ... 

Together, SAP Community can make a difference during Arbor Week to help create a greener future for generations to come. Thank you for being a part of the SAP Community and for joining us in this effort.

Continue the conversation on social media with using the hashtags:
#arborday #gotrees #showlovefortrees
51 Comments
Neeraj_Jain
Active Contributor
Great initiative!
Bernhard
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
THANK YOU!
Dan_Wroblewski
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
I like trees 🌳
StephanieMarley
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
l_stodal what isn't to like! Thank you! #gotree
Anaer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

I have always been a "tree hugger" because I believe it's the best way to connect with the souls of trees and listen to their stories & wisdom. I will definitely go out for a hike and hug some more trees in the arbor week! Thank you for the initiative.😊

PierreCol
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Great initiative, well done!

🌲🌳🌴

keohanster
Active Contributor
I'm pretty darn fond of trees myself, so let's go plant some!

VinayHS
Employee
Employee
That's a wonderful initiative.

Thank you!
Fantastic initiative, I hope we get to 20,000!
steffen_duffner
Employee
Employee
Great. Thank you!
lenastodal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Thanks everyone for your comments! ingrid.stevens and steffen.duffner your comments already ensured that a tree gets planted!

Whenever you have a free minute this week, have a look in SAP Community and hit the Like button, read a blog post and let us know your thoughts, scroll through questions and help out other community members, upvote a question/answer, follow content or RSVP to an event.

Related to the topic of sustainability and Arbor Week, have a look at bfeeb8ed7fa64a7d95efc21f74a8c135's blog post dedicated to Arbor Week!

Join the discussion in our Coffee Corner🌳

AnitaVarshney
Employee
Employee
Love this! Let's do our bit to contribute to our planet goals!!
magdalena_el
Discoverer
Great initiative. Thank you!
thomsensoeren
Advisor
Advisor
From trees to forests!
StephanieMarley
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
l_stodal I'm happy to be part of SAP Community for so many reasons. SAP's efforts to plant trees is wonderful.
Martin-Pankraz
Active Contributor
To make it count
smarchesini
Active Contributor
Beautiful initiative !
Great job SAP
Narasimha
Active Contributor

Super initiative . How will a person know , he has successfully contributed for a tree ? ( 1 upvote ? 1 Like , 1 comment ? . If this matrix is known, we can ask people for doing specific tasks , like post minimum 2 questions, upvote 5 answers or write a blog post) . If we give exact matrix and post in LinkedIn , many people might open account in community.sap.com to contribute to plant trees.

Awaiting reply as I am very keen to share this matrix in LinkedIn for new user registration

lenastodal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Thank you, bhatnp1! The matrix is pretty straight forward and fairly easy: every single contribution counts; it includes: likes/kudos, comments, replies, blog posts, discussions, questions, answers, follow a question/answer/blog post/person, upvotes/downvotes (on questions/answers), RSVPing to an event.

In sum: one click = one tree! 🌳 Thanks for sharing!

lenastodal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Happy "Tag des Baumes"! Today marks the official German celebration day of trees and our second celebration day of Arbor Week in SAP Community! 🌳

For this occasion, check out 8b889d0e8e6f4ed39f6c58e35664518f's blog post about Greening IT – Improve performance of SAP-programs and cut down spool output!

Michael_Keller
Active Contributor
Planting trees has never been easier 🙂 Many thanks for this great initiative, l_stodal!
Hi Maierdan, I totally agree with you. It is a unique experience that really makes you feel connected with the beauty of nature and life itself.
What a beautiful initiative! Thanks for sharing it 🌳
sara_woodward
Employee
Employee
#LOVETREES!  great initiative
catlacroix99
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
We can never have too many trees!
Narasimha
Active Contributor
cecihuergo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Love this initiative!!!! Thank you l_stodal for sharing!
Constance_K
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
🌲🌳🌴 Nice initative!
RichBlumberg
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Great blog! Does SAP have a non-profit that they work with to plant the trees? If so, can the organization name be shared?
christiane
Advisor
Advisor
very cool initiative!
nadjamaria_mayer
Discoverer
Great initiative!
yannikwerth
Employee
Employee

Awesome! SAP Academy is also participating with a collect steps challenge. Let's plant some trees. 🙂

Anaer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Glad we feel the same! 🙂
Great initiative! Let's get started together 🙂
lenastodal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi richard.blumberg - great question!

In 2018, SAP committed to plant 21 million trees by the end of 2025. This shall help to take much needed climate action, restore ecosystems, and foster sustainable development while continuing to drive carbon-reducing innovations and pursuing a science-based climate target.

There is multiple organisations SAP collaborated with in the past years: Eden Reforestation Projects, The Carbon CommunityReForest Now, WeForest.

This year, SAP aims to put over 2.5 million trees in the ground by donating to the following tree planting organizations and projects:
▪ SAP will continue to support the work of Eden Reforestation Projects in Brazil. SAP will finance the planting of 70k additional trees. Together with Eden Reforestation Projects, SAP will restore forests in the Philippines. Over 720k trees will be planted at Eden’s Pinatubo Caldera planting site on behalf of SAP. Additionally, SAP will enable Eden Reforestation Projects to plant over 750k trees on Mindanao Island in the Phillippines.
▪ In 2023, SAP will collaborate with Trillion Trees, a joint venture of three conservation organizations uniting their expertise to accelerate forest protection and restoration.
▪ SAP will continue to support the Australian charity ReForest Now to help restore critically endangered rainforests in New South Wales.
▪ More donations are planned for 2023.
Katherine_K
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Hi l_stodal - you might recognize Kylemore Abbey in my photo below from when you spent some time in Galway. This is one of my favourite places to visit locally, it's very scenic and surrounded by some very old trees. It's very lush and green here as well as a calming place to take a walk by the lake. We can have more scenic places like this again with yours and other similar initiatives. Go SAP Community!!!

Kylemore Abbey, Connemara Ireland

lenastodal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Thank you for all your comments and everyone's support so far! 🌳
For Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, we have reached more than 12,000 engagements already! I hope all of you were busy also today and pushed that number up!

Go and have a look into my colleague jerry.janda's discussion in the Coffee Corner where he speaks for the trees and wants you to share your fav tree with him!
lenastodal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
😍 That looks stunning katherine.kenneally! I haven't been there unfortunately! Might visit it in October this year - thanks for sharing!
This is a great initiative. Thank you !! Go Green !!!

Regards,

Ravi.
RichBlumberg
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Lena.... Thx! I had been looking for this info previously! Happy you shared it.
Interesting... for the SAP Innovation Awards I interviewed a customer who is a market leader in forest, mill products.... Celulose Nipo-Brasileira S.A (aka CENIBRA). I'll bet there some synergy... a great group of colleagues... Check out this entry....>>>

A great initiative!
camilacruz
Associate
Associate
Great initiative!
former_member40780
Associate
Associate
Love this!  Thank you🌳🌴🌲
A wonderful and sustainable initiative as in the DNA of SAP!
sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
0 Kudos
WOW! Just wow! 😍
lenastodal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

THANK YOU SAP Community for your extra engagement during last week!

Together we made it and achieved our goal, which is why SAP will plant 20,000 trees 🌳

I will keep you updated on the organisation SAP will be collaborating with for this initiative! Make sure to check back to this blog post comment.

catlacroix99
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Well done!
sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Absolute fantastic that we achieved it! 🙂

🌳 🌳 🌳
Katherine_K
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
What a result! Absolutely delighted we made it.

🌳 🌳 🌳  🌳 🌳 🌳