Coffee Corner Discussions
Get to know other SAP Community members during your coffee break. Join discussions on a variety of topics in a casual environment.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to manage all the work at home...

Florian
Active Contributor
How to manage all the work at home with 2 kids beside?

This blog post is something non techie and maybe also my try to give some others advice how to manage it. But also to prove and to get feedback if I do it right... so hopefully a win-win situation which is in times of COVID19 for a lot out there not a win!

But enough from phrases and my motivation. LEt's get back to the topic and as you might know, I'm a fan of bullet points and lists.. It's something which gives me a straight line and so I also stay here with it.

1. Do your daily task the same way you would do it at work.

If you are arriving at work and the first move is to grab a coffee, do it also at home. This is important at least for me to bring my mind into the work-mood.

1. Check your times!

It's much easier to work, when the kid(s) are sleeping... so I decided to start my workday a lot earlier to get concentrated time for those task which need it.

Save the messy work to do it, when your kids around, so of course it will take five minutes longer, but the result will be the same... example for that (Implement Notes and find those, which are missing... but that is another story to tell)

1. A tiny place for work

If you do not have a room left over search for a place where you can put your work-stuff and leave it. I have my desk in my living room. But it's positioned in a corner, so I can leave everything like I want to and if I need it, I just can put a blanket over it.. so everything gone, I'm at home again.

Fun fact, I have done a skype meeting in my workshop/garage and it was awesome!

1. Communication is important

It's a little bit the first point again. Do what you also do when you're at work. Talk to each other and don't let it break down on a telephone just about the task to do. Ask also how the kids are doing, what the impression to work at home is and also what are the plans after the work, just like you would do when you are at the company side.

1. Take breaks and plan breaks

Breaks are important. If you aren't able to do all the work at night (as I do) and you have kids around, give them timeslots to look at. Means that you have to plan breaks and also plan some time to build some LEGO or other things with your kids. It's also strange to them nowadays and they want to have also quality time with us.

My toddler (4 years) love this timeslots and it's much easier for him to let me work and not to ask every 2 minutes when I'm finished after I figured that out.

That's it. Maybe I do other things also in another way, but I would say, these are my important ones and let's see what you have to add to my list or do you have another opinion on a point, let me know and also tell me how you manage it. I'm open for everything which will my workday better and improve the balance.

Offtopic point is to join the community events, like Stammtisch and other activity. I recognize that a lot is going online and that's great, just to have a little normal conversation.

https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/events/SAP+Inside+Track (The Stammtisch-Events are located right as "Other Community Events"

or here for the Community Calls (BTW, the last one was great fun)

https://community.sap.com/resources/community-calls

Stay healthy

Florian

Little update:

Forgot to put the links into the last section, I want you to also attend if the time fits.

I have learned that the blog is not an English word, it must be called blog post. So I corrected it. You never stop learning.

+ pictures comes from:
coffee -> https://pixabay.com/de/photos/kaffee-latte-kunst-coffee-shop-2585667/

desk -> https://www.flickr.com/photos/crazytales562/2826952885

telephone -> google save search pictures a while ago
6 REPLIES 6

caroleighdeneen
Community Administrator
Community Administrator
Scheduled time slots with the kiddos is a great idea. Gives them something to look forward to while setting boundaries. Stay well!

sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Hi Florian, nice post and I like the small working place in the garage 🙂

I also start early in the morning and insert a break in the late afternoon (usually between 5 and 7 pm, depending on calls) to go out together and have a walk, doing some sports and what we like is so called "geo caching" and the kids love it, too.

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----

mmcisme1
Active Contributor
I like the idea of flexing the time to do your work.  Sadly I can't do that.  But what a great idea!

DouglasCezar
Contributor

Great post florian.henninger , thanks for such useful details.

I have been working remotely for the last five years and I pretty much use the same strategies as you.

One of the best things I did in the early days was to buy a dedicated office desk from an online store and find a place in my bedroom to place it. I even moved one cabinet from the bedroom to the dining room to make the needed space for the new desk. Now I can work in a dedicated space where I can close the door so others in the house know I am working and do not want to be interrupted. Also having a dedicated (big) screen, webcam, mouse and full-size keyboard make the working experience much better for me.

kjyothiraditya
Participant
Nice post ! Thanks for sharing !

singern
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Florian, thank you for the advice and also for the potion of motivation to survive this temporary phase!