Human Capital Management Blogs by Members
Gain valuable knowledge and tips on SAP SuccessFactors HCM suite and human capital management market from member blog posts. Share your insights with a post of your own.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lukemarson
Active Contributor
As part of SAP’s data model and integration unification strategy, SAP Cloud Platform Integration Suite now has Master Data Integration to enable a harmonized integration and distribution of different master data objects and data between SAP solutions. This includes master data for business partners, cost center, and workforce data. Workforce data is provided for integration scenarios that need data from SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central or other core HR systems. The new service is named “SAP Cloud Platform Master Data Integration” (although not officially an abbreviation, for clarity of reading I will use the abbreviation MDI throughout this blog to refer to it).

In this blog I’ll be focusing on how MDI can be used for SAP SuccessFactors customers as the master data hub for integration with other SAP systems.

How is MDI used for Workforce data integration?

MDI provides a central data model for consumption of a set of employee master data across SAP systems. The employee data is fed from SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central into MDI where it is then consumed by other SAP systems. The MDI service is a key part of SAP’s Intelligent Enterprise architecture to enable smooth cross-application data integration.

Process-wise, MDI can be visualized as per the below diagram:

MDI Process

MDI leverages a concept called One Domain Model. The One Domain Model concept means that multiple SAP applications have aligned their data models to enable easy integration with the MDI service and therefore with each other. It is based on a Domain-Driven Design (DDD) approach. The One Domain Model follows a principle that the same entity can have totally different semantics in different domains and that, since you cannot merge domains and get one big complete and consistent data model, you need to ensure that separate data models have a shared identity that enable interoperability. In practical terms, this means that the principle of standardized fields and field attributes across data models (such as name, type, and length) is applied to a set of data models that can then be integrated using MDI.

In addition to the employee master data, the MDI service also manages the distribution of cost center objects from the finance system into other systems. Because of this, a provider system can also be a consumer system, and vice-versa.

Why Use MDI?

MDI is a cornerstone of SAP’s new integration strategy for master data. It acts as the master data broker between your core HR system of record – for example, SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central – and SAP S/4HANA. It essentially creates a hub-and-spoke data distribution system using a standardized subset of employee master data in a common repository; this is sometimes referred to as a mini-master.

These integrations leverage OData and REST APIs to provide a point-to-point or middleware-based integration using SAP Cloud Platform Integration. Additionally, MDI enables centralized monitoring and management of master data integration between different systems in the landscape.

I recommend that all customers look at leveraging MDI when they have to integrate Workforce master data (e.g. employees and cost centers) between SAP SuccessFactors and SAP S/4HANA Cloud. The one-data-model approach can ensure that both these systems easily get the data they need to operate their people-related processes.

What about Process Integration?

Integrating your end-to-end processes across systems has always been challenging, no matter what systems are being integrated. SAP offers SAP Cloud Platform Integration Suite for process integration capabilities that helps with real time, event-based process Integrations between SAP and non-SAP applications.

Architecture and Data Scope

The below diagram shows an architectural example of using MDI with SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central as the core HR system, SAP S/4HANA as a consumer system and provider of Cost Center data, and an identity service as a consumer system.

In this scenario, Employee Central provides employee (“worker” in MDI terminology) data to MDI, which is then consumed by S/4HANA Cloud and by the identity management system. S/4HANA Cloud provides roles to the identity management system and provides cost centers to MDI for Employee Central to consume. The identity service in return takes care of user provisioning and authentication in both Employee Central and S/4HANA Cloud.

The core One Domain Model contains the following employee master data elements (both effective-dated and snapshot) for employees and contingent workers:

• Biographical and personal details

• Communication and contact information

• Addresses

• Private

• Work

• Bank details and payment methods

• Person to work assignments (one-to-many)

• Job, organization, and cost center assignments

• Work orders (for contingent workers)

Configuration and Extensibility

This currently a planned roadmap item for SAP. MDI is not configurable, but it is planned that it can be extended to add fields to store additional data, as needed by specific integrations.

Pre-packaged Integrations

At the time of writing (Q2 2020), there are out-of-the-box integrations available for MDI for SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central and SAP S/4HANA Cloud. Further pre-packaged integrations will be planned in future.
33 Comments
vbaranovskiy5
Participant

Thanks for sharing, Luke 

I agree that this employee data hub is beneficial in case of on-premise or 3rd party Core HR, especially in heterogeneous landscapes. That’s were SuccessFactors People Central Hub was positioned previously (from an integration point of view).

From the other side, for SuccessFactors – S4/HANA Cloud case it adds an additional cloud persistence layer for employee data. – In general case, we can have an employee with 3 different data/states in one moment of time: in SF, MDI, S4 – that not adds coherency in the global data view.

I hope the future cross-SAP integration direction – is a Hasso Plattner’s view of single persistence of determined data entity – in source HANA base- and virtual online access to this data from other solutions and services.

btoombs
Explorer
Great job on this Luke!
prateek
Active Contributor

Thanks for sharing the insights Luke!

Prateek

lukemarson
Active Contributor
Thanks for your comments Vasiliy.

Although data does persist in multiple states, EC is still the master and data can be replicated to MDI periodically so that it maintains an updated set of data. This isn't to say it's real-time integration, but that a near real-time picture of the data sits in MDI that can be consumed by other systems. In my opinion, it doesn't solve the real-time data integration situation but it provides a very good centralized solution for master data replication to other systems.
lukemarson
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks Brandon!
lukemarson
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks Prateek!
becksen
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Luke,

thanks for sharing! One point that is not 100% clear is MDI aiming connecting SuccessFactors with other Cloud applications only, or is the on-premise connectivity support by cloud connector or other SAP integration elements?

Regards,

Timmy

lukemarson
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Sorry Timmy, I mentioned above "where it is then consumed by other systems", but I can see how that might not be clear as to which "type" of systems. It is any system that can consume data from the MDI via the APIs, no matter if it is cloud or on-premise.

Best regards,

Luke
MK_HRZ
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks Luke, very interesting. To your knowledge, is there any relation between MDI and SAP Cloud BW? Since there is no configurability (yet) and no expected license fee, there is no seeming relationship. But functionality-wise, there is a seeming overlap.

Thank you,
Mikhail
lukemarson
Active Contributor
MDI serves a different purpose than SAP Cloud BW. MDI is an integration mechanism for replication of a subset of the workforce master data to downstream systems. It is not meant to be used as a data warehouse or an analytical/reporting tool. The data in the MDI can be replicated to SAP Cloud BW or another data warehouse or analytical/reporting tool.
MK_HRZ
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks Luke, makes sense.
0 Kudos
Hello Luke, thank you for this article!

May I kindly ask you how this concept interferes with the standard integration scenarios available for SAP S/4HANA on premise - (DSN for cost centers) and (DSI for employee and org data) - is it replacing them or adds a value to them?

Thank you very much and Best regards,
Ralitsa
lukemarson
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks Ralitsa. For integration between SuccessFactors and S/4HANA, MDI will be the go-forward solution.

Thank you for your reply, Luke!

As I understand, it is going to replace the other solution I have cited. In this context, is MDI fully available for implementation (we are in the start of integration implementation and I need to now if we need to switch the concept) and can we start immediately implementing it?

For our client, we are integrating SF EC wtih S4HANA on-premise. On SAP help portal, however, documentation on the topic of MDI is only available for S4HANA cloud.

Could you please reconfirm that MDI is available also for on-premise version of S4HANA and I will very much appreciate if you direct me to any documentation on the topic.

Thank you and Best regards,
Ralitsa

daviddasilva
Active Contributor
Hi Luke,

Thank you for this. I can definitely see the value of this tool, especially for the integration scenario I am currently working on.

Is there someplace where I can find out more information and/or official documentation?

Thank you,

David
lukemarson
Active Contributor
There is official documentation for SAP SuccessFactors integration here:

https://help.sap.com/viewer/634eabb3d94044d2b319aaf7a8f18fb9/2005/en-US
sanant
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Luke,

Great article as always. Is there any dependency/pre-requisite on Identity Authentication Services to utilise MDI for SuccessFactors and S/4 integration?
lukemarson
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks Srinivas. No, there is not any dependency/pre-requisite.
0 Kudos
Hi Luke,

Very interesting article, thanks for sharing.

I can see what the idea behind is. However, I have one big question mark with the added value of this solution. If EC is your master data system, why should you mirror the data into another data repository (SCP MDI) to just route it through into other systems? We are currently using EC as our data hub and connect/integrate other systems directly using CPI. So we use SCP only as the transfer channel, not storing data in it.

Regards,

Freddy
lukemarson
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks Freddy. The purpose of mirroring the data is to create a data hub for integration to multiple systems, leveraging packaged integrations to facilitate a more rapid rollout of integrations in an SAP landscape. Of course, this is the first "iteration" of the solution, so it can be hard to conceptualize the solution when it integrates mainly to SAP S/4HANA. With that said, if you feel that EC should be your master data hub for integration then I believe that is a fine solution for your needs. I don't believe there is really a wrong or right solution, but I do think that MDI will fill the needs of many customers who don't want EC to be their centralized data hub in a larger application environment.

I hope that makes sense 😉
SyambabuAllu
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Luke,

Thanks for sharing detailed info about oneMDI.

Just to ask,Is there any Fiori app or there any way to monitor the data in SCP-MDI level.

Thank you,

Syam

lukemarson
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks Syam. There is no Fiori based monitoring as of today as this is an internal component used for SAP to SAP master data integration.
todor_petrov
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Luke,

nice blog. One question here - do you know if replication of future-dated actions from SF - e.g. a person is hired in the future, or a person is terminated in the future. Would those be synced to MDI?

Currently a direct connection of SF to IPS is having a limitation with this aspect and this could be one very good scenario to justify the usage of MDI in-between.

BR,

Todor
frankbareis
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Todor,

yes, those future-dated actions are also synced to MDI. The WorkforcePerson model contains the effective-dated information from SAP SuccessFactors, so all time slices are synced to MDI. The consuming application that reads the data from MDI, may decide what to do with the future-dated information. There may be consuming applications that are just interested in a snapshot of today's information, dependent on the processes of these consuming applications.

Best regards,

Frank
persynw
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Luke!

Thank you for this clear overview of MDI.

I have one question related to the data inside MDI; what data is actually stored?

When an initial replication is done (for cost centers e.g.), are all data entries 'copied' and stored to MDI? Or does the initial replication only connect the application, and ensure that fields are in compliance with each other?

I'm trying to get a view on MDI and if it can be seen as a data storage, of if it only saves change logs.

Thanks in advance!

Ward
lukemarson
Active Contributor
Hi Ward,

You can define the scope of data stored. I would refer you to the MDI the guides on SAP Help Portal (https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_MASTER_DATA_INTEGRATION), although they don't really list out the fields for each object.

The Initial Load replicates all objects over to MDI and then a Delta Load replicates the delta of changes made since the last run. For example, for Cost Centers, MDI will replicate all Cost Centers from the source system into MDI with the Initial Load. The Delta Load will then load the delta changes made. More information on that example can be found here:

https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_SUCCESSFACTORS_EMPLOYEE_CENTRAL/634eabb3d94044d2b319aaf7a8f18fb9/bd9c7...

Best regards,

Luke
persynw
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Luke

Thanks for the clear answer!

One more question related to that; Is there any way to see what and how much (in bytes) data has been retained in MDI itself?
Since MDI is an internal component without an specific app, I'm looking for a way to see this.

This would give me an general idea for pricing of the tool.

Thanks in advance!

Ward
becksen
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi all,

one off-topic question. Do you know how to get a MDI trial for a proof of concept?

In the BTP  Trial Account MDI is not supported, it gives an error trying to initialize an MDI tenant.

Do you have any experience with that?

Thanks.

Regards,

Timmy
lukemarson
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Timmy,

I'm afraid I don't. The best bet is to reach out to your SAP account executive to find out how you can do it.

Best regards,

Luke
lukemarson
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ward,

I'm not sure how this can be done or if it even can be done. I don't know how it impacts pricing - you would need to speak to an SAP account executive for pricing queries.

Best regards,

Luke

ngautamr
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Frank

Joined late in this conversation 🙂

I have gone through the MDI related topics and it does help a lot in distributing the data across different systems from one hub. My query is related to the business processes which are run in non-HR sytems but use the data related to Org Structure / reporting structure for their approval processes like in ( Concur , Ariba etc). To address these do we have feasibility in MDI to hold this information as well and all workflow processes in Non-HR sytems can consume in their respective business processes.

From SuccessFactors to S/4 Hana Integration guide , I didnot find the information related to the Org Unit manager / position being sent from SuccessFactors EC feilds. (or) Am i missing something here.

Thanks & Regards

Gautham.

Regards

Gautham.

frankbareis
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Gautham,

can you share information about the business processes in non-HR systems that use org Structure and reporting structure data? You may raise that need to the corresponding applications like Concur, Ariba.

SF distributes Org Entities to MDI, and SAP Fieldglass is already consuming them.

Best regards,

Frank
ngautamr
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Frank

Thanks for your response .

I was trying to understand if we can approve prcocess related to Finance (budget approvals) , Concur (Travel approvals) , Logistics , Material Management module related processes which would need to consume the Org / reporting structure from SF EC on running their respective day-to-day operations in the enterprise, where the respective department / org unit head would approve them.

From SuccessFactors to S/4 Hana Integration guide , I didnot find the information related to the Org Unit manager / position being sent from SuccessFactors EC fields, which i think would serve the above purpose if my understanding is right.

Regards

Gautham.
Labels in this area