Supply Chain Management Blogs by Members
Learn about SAP SCM software from firsthand experiences of community members. Share your own post and join the conversation about supply chain management.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DominikTylczyn
Active Contributor
Despite several shortcomings, direct TM<->EWM integration based on EWM transportation units (TU) brings a lot of benefits:

• It can be used with decentralized EWM instances, whereas Advanced Shipping and Receiving requires embedded TM and EWM in the same S/4HANA system

• TM can plan packing and loading based on sales orders well ahead of actual delivery loading date.

• TM plan is transferred to EWM in the form of transportation units (loading plan) and planned shipping handling units (packing plan)

• Yard activities, packing and loading execution in EWM is transferred back to TM and update the freight order execution data

See SAP Help Integration Based on EWM Transportation Units for details of the integration scenario and the note 3018355 - Supported functional scope and restrictions of the TU-based TM EWM Integration for shipper... for functional limitations.

The loading appointment integration requires EWM managed warehouse, either embedded or decentralized one.

So what if a 3rd party warehouse management system is used that is integrated with S/4HANA with e.g. LE-IDW interface? Can the TU based integration still be used and its benefits be reaped?

Officially it cannot, as the interface has to talk to SAP EWM system and EWM relevancy is checked before a Loading Appointment Notification message is sent from TM.

Still, let's have a closer look at the implementation of the SEND_LOADING_APPOINTMENT action of the /SCMTMS/TOR object in the BOBF transaction. The action is defined in the ROOT node of the object

SEND_LOADING_APPOINTMENT action of /SCMTMS/TOR object

The actions accepts import parameters defined with the /SCMTMS/S_TOR_ROOT_A_SEND_LDAP structure:

Import parameters of the SEND_LOADING_APPOINTMENT action

As it happens, it is enough to trigger the action with NO_CHECK_SENDING = X to force loading appointment notification sending, even if EWM system is not used.

Now the question is how to set this parameter.

Let's look at the /SCMTMS/CL_TOR_A_SEND_REQ_LDAP that implements the action.

/SCMTMS/CL_TOR_A_SEND_REQ_LDAP class

The action is executed with the /BOBF/IF_FRW_ACTION~EXECUTE method, that takes the action parameters in IS_PARAMETERS:

The signature of the /BOBF/IF_FRW_ACTION~EXECUTE method

The following code snipped inserted right at the beginning of the /BOBF/IF_FRW_ACTION~EXECUTE methods allows Loading Appointment Notifications even for non EWM warehouses:
    FIELD-SYMBOLS:
<parameters> TYPE /scmtms/s_tor_root_a_send_ldap.

* Add your custom logic here to decide whether to send or not

ASSIGN is_parameters->* TO <parameters>.
<parameters>-no_check_sending = abap_true.

It can be inserted in to the method with Pre-Exit enhancement - see SAP Help for details Enhancing the Components of Global Classes or Interfaces

Naturally, that is just a proof of concept. The snipped should be enhanced with additional logic to decide whether the loading appointment notification needs to be sent or not. That can be implemented for instance based on the warehouse number from which deliveries assigned to the freight order are picked.
9 Comments
former_member857928
Discoverer

This 3rd Party Warehouse I was need for a long time. Thanks for that.

I just learn from that

If you are using a 3rd party warehouse management system (WMS) that is integrated with S/4HANA using the LE-IDW interface, it may not be possible to directly utilize the TU-based integration between Transportation Management (TM) and Extended Warehouse Management (EWM) in the same way as with an embedded or decentralized EWM.

The TU-based integration relies on the close integration between TM and EWM, where transportation units are used to transfer the planning and execution data between the systems. This integration scenario assumes the presence of an EWM system to handle the warehousing activities and manage transportation units.cincinnati open pickleball

If you are using a 3rd party WMS integrated with S/4HANA through the LE-IDW interface, the capabilities and integration methods would depend on the specific features and functionalities provided by that WMS. It's important to consult the documentation and capabilities of the 3rd party WMS and its integration with S/4HANA to understand how transportation planning and execution data can be exchanged between TM and the WMS.

In this case, you may need to explore alternative integration approaches or customizations to achieve similar benefits to the TU-based integration. This could involve developing custom interfaces or leveraging standard integration methods provided by the 3rd party WMS to exchange relevant data between TM and the WMS for planning and execution purposes.

It's recommended to consult with your system integrator, SAP consultant, or the provider of the 3rd party WMS to determine the best approach for integrating TM and the 3rd party WMS in your specific scenario, taking into consideration the capabilities and limitations of the systems involved.

DominikTylczyn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thank you! Please spread the word - I am quite sure other companies might face the same problem.
wheltonandrade
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello Dominiki Tylczynski,

How are you doing? Excellent post.

I would like a general documentation of all the integration interfaces between the TM-EWM-TM module, do you have any document where you can show me these points?

Thanks!

Whelton
DominikTylczyn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hello wheltonandrade

Why don't you start with SAP Help Integration Based on EWM Transportation Units ?

Cheers

Dominik Tylczynski
wheltonandrade
Explorer
0 Kudos
Dominiki Tylczynski, thanks for the answer.

I looked for some notes but I didn't find a specific documentation of these developments.

I will be analyzing this point

Tanks,

Whelton
DominikTylczyn
Active Contributor
Hello wheltonandrade

What developments are you interested in? TM-EWM integration with LDAP messages is standard, however with somehow limited functionality. You don't need any custom developments to use it.

This blog presents a trick to force LDAP Loading Appointment Requests from TM for non-EWM managed warehouses.

Are there any other developments you are looking for?

Cheers

Dominik
wheltonandrade
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello Domink,

How are you?

I'm looking for documentation on TM-EWM-TM interfaces, I've made a list of all proxies, but I'm not sure if that's all. The client I am with does not have the SAP ERP so I need to develop the call for this communication.

Thanks!

Whelton
DominikTylczyn
Active Contributor
Hello wheltonandrade

Check the note 1978857 - WS/RM Integration Guide for SAP Transportation Management It contains a PDF attachment with an integration config guide.

The services are listed there.

Cheers

Dominik
wheltonandrade
Explorer
Dominik,

Excellent. Thanks a lot for the help

Congrats!

Whelton
Labels in this area