Human Capital Management Blogs by Members
Gain valuable knowledge and tips on SAP SuccessFactors HCM suite and human capital management market from member blog posts. Share your insights with a post of your own.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
0 Kudos

In SuccessFactors Onboarding, for the USA I9 form, the phone number field should contain the area code and the phone number in the same field. 

But SuccessFactors:

• After the 2H 2022 release, updated the Form I-9 Section 1 verification step so that it now includes the complete phone number (including area code) collected in the personal data collection step.
  • If the format is incorrect, a validation message that prompts the new hires to enter their phone number in the correct format. Hence, Area Code should be enabled.

But, if the Area Code in EC Phone Information portlet is disabled, when the onboardee goes to complete the I9 Step1 process, the system throws an error: Unable to Fetch Form Data. (Refer to my earlier blog on the similar topic/issue: Onboarding I9 Process failing due to missing area code in phone number field (USA Compliance Process...

To mitigate this error, many onboarding customers enable the "Area Code" in EC. This means, in the Onboarding Data Collection process step, the onboadee will be required to enter the Area Code, and the Phone Number in a separate field.

This configuration is cumbersome for the following reasons:

- When the customer enable the area code to support onboarding, it has a downstream impact - data cleansing to the existing phone data in EC, and possibly EC related integrations

- If the customer enable the area code field but, continue to collect the full phone information in the phone-number field, it does provide a good user experience during data collection - the onboadee need to be notified not to enter the area code, or enter the area code, and re-enter the area-code+phone-number in the phone-number field.

To overcome this limitation, customers and implementation teams can consider configuring workaround in the system.

This blog, provides step-by-step instructions on what configuration is required to support this workaround.

Configuration

Manage Data

Goto Manage Data. In Create New, enter FieldMetaOverrideConfiguration

Enter the ID as whatever you prefer; for example – ONB_overRide_PhAreaCode

Change the overrideFields value to Yes

In field supportedTypes enter US_I9

In field metaOverrideType select the option Form Metadata Override

In the section overrideFieldMetadatas for the field id, enter phoneInfo.areaCode

In the field source, select the option Prepopulated Employee Central Fields Metadata

Leave the field oldFieldsMeta blank

In the field overrideFieldsMeta enter the below code as-is

{
"entity": "phoneInfo",
"entityPath":"personNav/phoneNav",
"field": "phoneNumber",
"filters": {
"phoneType":"ENABLED"
}
}

Click Save.

After configuration the table should look similar to the figure below

Configuration to be madeConfiguration to be made

Testing Process:

Test by re-starting by an existing onboarding record or create a new onboarding record, and complete the compliance step: I9 Section 1.

Conclusion:
This configuration will retain the phone number that you have entered in the personal data collection step in the phoneInformation section. The phone number that is entered, will be transferred in full to the I9 form, and no additional step need to be completed by the onboardee.

With this workaround, you do not enhance or change the existing EC configuration or even create a new Onboardee person type in phoneInformation

Do leave comments below, if you have other work arounds.

Reference: SAP KBA: 3264952 - Unable to Fetch Form Data Error for USA I9 Compliance form after 2H 2022 Release - Onboard... 

Labels in this area