Human Capital Management Blogs by SAP
Get insider info on SAP SuccessFactors HCM suite for core HR and payroll, time and attendance, talent management, employee experience management, and more in this SAP blog.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kiran1
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
With the Introduction of Onboarding 2.0 we can use the MDF object to collect the additional information from the candidate during the Onboarding Process.  A user or company can configure multiple MDF Objects based on the company requirement.

Here is my example I have taken one Custom MDF Object with one field

Pre-requisite

> Onboarding 2.0 should be enabled

> Basic configuration and Permission should be in place before configuring the Custom Data collection Object.

> Onboarding Process should be defined and it should have custom data collection step.

First, the step is to create a Custom MDF Object.

I am creating a PF detail custom object with the UAN number field.

Go to Admin Center> In the search tool search for > Configure Object Definition> Create New> From the drop-down select Object Defnition.

Please make sure you have maintained the same value as shown in the screenshot below ( Code and the Label can be given anything based on the requirement).

In the Field Section, I have added only one custom field cust_UAN which is type String.

Please note: externalCode should always be "Auto Number"

Once the Custom field is added to the Object next step is to create a ConfigUI for that we need to add one more field in the Custom Object. The field name should be userConfig, this field should be configured exactly shown in the below screenshot.

Once the custom field and UserConfig field is configured save the custom object.

The Second Step is Associating the Custom Objects to the UserConfig Object

a) Go to Admin Center> Configure Object Definitions.

b) Select the Object Definition from the first dropdown option. In the second dropdown option select ONB2DataCollectionUserConfig (Onboarding data collection user configuration)

c) Take Action>Make Correction

d) Scroll down to the below till Associations and enter any custom name and select the custom MDF object that is created in the First Step in the Destination Object, Type should be Join By Column

( Please refer the below screenshot)

e) Click on details : In the Destination Object Column enter cust_userConfig

f)  Enter internalid in the Source ObjectColumn field

Once done save the ONB2DataCollectionUserConfig object.

The Third Step is Configuring the UI for Custom Objects.

Once the above 2 steps are completed then the Third step is to associate the UI for Custom Objects

a) Admin Center> Configure Object Definition

b) Select the Object Definition from the First dropdown menu and in the second dropdown menu select ONB2DataCollectionConfig (Onboarding data collection configuration)

c)Take Action>Make Correction

d) Scroll down to the below till Associations and associate the UI Config as below. ( Name can be anything. Select Destination Object as "ConfigUIMetadata")

e) Once it is done click on save.

Now, begin with the Configuring the UI for Custom Objects.

a) Go to Admin Center> In search tool Search for >Manage Configuration UI

b) Click on Create New

C) Enter the Name and Select your MDF Custom Object that you have created in this case I am selecting my custom MDF object which is created in Step 1.  Delete the system field and keep only your custom filed which is created in step1.

f) Once it is done click on save.

Once all custom objects are created, you must add them to a meta-object that is referenced during the dataCollection page load for rendering.

a) Go to Admin Center> Manage Data

b) in the first dropdown select Onboarding data collection configuration, in the second dropdown select DEFAULT_DATA_COLLECTION_CONFIG...

c)Take Action>Make Correction

d) Associate the UI for Custom Objects which is created in 3rd step

e) Click on save.

Once the above step is done please verify the rules once for custom data collection

a) Admin Center> Configure Business Rule

b) Select SAP_ONB2_DataCollectionConfigSelect and verify the rule.

Once all the configuration is done candidate will complete the Additional Paperwork or custom data collection step and will see the below screen

41 Comments
Eduardakleinnet
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks for sharing, Kiran!

Is it possible to add MDF objects as well in the offboarding process? For example, if I wanna create a MDF with a survey about the employee’s experience, is it possible to integrate this MDF in the offboarding process?

Thank you!
Kiran1
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi,

As of now, it's not possible to add the custom MDF Object in Offboarding Process.

Regards,

Kiran SV
anandkumar
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi,

I have added the custom mdf and its showing in the Onboarding but there is some error which not make me complete the step.

Please see the below Screen shot.

Thanks,

Anand
AngelaWheeler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi kirankumarsv

From what I've read, am I correct in thinking that data we capture during this step CANNOT be mapped to fields in the EC Hire? The example I am thinking of is to somehow capture the new hire's bank details and map to the payment information fields, as this seems to be a current limitation of the process.

Thanks,

Angela.

Puneet_Pasrija
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
HI Angela,

Did you find any solution to capture bank related details and then move it to EC ? I am also struggling for the same.

Regards

Punet
former_member30580
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Kiran,

Thanks for your blog. I have followed your steps to check my configuration and seems all is good. But I met the same issue that new hire is not able to complete this step.

In our case, new hire needs to upload his/her picture. After uploading, it keeps showing the following messages without finish. Do you know what is wrong?

Best regards
S0020478776
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello Kiran,

Do you find any solutions to map MDF like Custom Data Collection Object from ONB to EC ? I'm also trying to find the way of this.

Please kindly advise

Best regards,

Ploy
Tanvij
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi All,
I'm also facing same issue, anand Kumar Shaw mentioned, unfortunately there is no error related info on the screen,

Any inputs or suggestions from experts?

Thank you
0 Kudos
Good morning,

Is there any solutions to map MDF like Custom Data Collection Object from ONB to EC ?  What is the correct way to see this information after the onboarding process?

Thank you

Please kindly advise
0 Kudos
Good blog
Kiran1
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi,

Currently, it's not possible to map the data from custom MDF Object from ONB to EC.

We can try import and export option but I am not sure on this, will check and let you know.

Regards,

Kiran SV
Kiran1
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi,

Sorry for delayed response, External code should be Auto Number, please verify once, if still, you are encountering the error message, please raise a support ticket.

Regards,

Kiran SV
Kiran1
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response,

Previously there was some issue with the attachment filed, now it's resolved please check again.

Regards,

Kiran SV
babinjose2006
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Can you check if you have given permission to external user for this custom object under miscellaneous permissions?

kvenkata
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Jeevan, Could you please let me know how were you able to resolve the error.
kvenkata
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Anand, May i know how the issue of error is resolved. In my case even though miscellaneous permissions for cust_PFD is provided, still seeing the same issue.
S0014404302
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi kirankumarsv

we have several custom portlet on the Employee central, is it possible enter some of these custom portlet  as Additional data? if is yes, when we want to add one portlet custom with "header" and "details" how can we do it?

thank you
carlosmunoz
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,
You have to change the "Secured" option of your object to "no"

carlosmunoz
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi, Kiran

You have to change the “Secured” option of your object to “no”, that will resolve the problem.

carlosmunoz
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi,

Does someone knows where does the Custom Data Collection info goes? Where will the HR Admins or Managers could see the info uploaded by the onboardees?

Thanks
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have followed the steps illustrated by you above but as soon as I click on the “Complete additional data collection” task I get an internal server error. Can you please help me with this.

0 Kudos

Hi Kiran Kumar SV,

We try to configure the parent-child MDF in the page of "provide additional personal info"(Data collection info), in order to multiple records of the same type can be entered.  We seem to have achieved it at the UI level, but the system will report errors if we want save it. Does SAP currently consider such a design?

niti_arora
Explorer
0 Kudos
kiran.yacchavenkata Was this error resolved. I still get the error although I turned the object to secured as No
niti_arora
Explorer
0 Kudos
puja.ahuja2 Hi, were you able to resolve this error?
visu2015
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Kiran,

where does the Custom Data Collection info gets updated? Where will the HR Admins or Managers could see the info uploaded by the onboardees?
ROTCHA
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi vishveshwar

I am asking the same question. Do you have any feedback on this ?

Regards,
nicolasmit
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi There

Is this functionality also available for Crossboarding 2.0?

Regards
irisvanderwal
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi all,

Just a little update, in the second step make sure to add internalID (with a capital i)!

f) Enter internalid in the Source ObjectColumn field

Then it will work 🙂

Regards!
viwaghmare
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hello angela.wheeler ,

Did you find any solution or work around for the same. Even I have same business requirement.

Thanks,

Vinit
AngelaWheeler
Active Contributor
Hi, yes, it's possible to include the payment information in the personal data collection - you don't need to use a custom object for that.

PhilippH
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi all,

do you know, if there is any way to change or disable/deactivate the due date for the custom data collection?

Currently it is showing the hire date, but we want the Onboardees to complete the data collection already before the hire date.

Thanks and best regards,
Philipp

bgil18
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello!

very usefull blog,

but I have the following error,

Do you have any idea what could be the issue?

Gonzalo85
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi,

Is there any solutions to map MDF like Custom Data Collection Object from ONB to EC ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
HI Addition data collection can be done by custom mdf object however I am confused with fields created in SDM and onboardee person type. Is that also additional data . Do we need to create any object for those too ?

0 Kudos
HI Addition data collection can be done by custom mdf object however I am confused with fields created in SDM and onboardee person type. Is that also additional data . Do we need to create any object for those too ?
0 Kudos

Hi The above blog is very informative ,

i have a question regarding custom fields created under onboardee person type in SDM and how its different from custom data collection object and why we are creating custom data collection fields at two different places  .

h_britto
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Seema,

no, those are 2 diffrent types of data.
The fields you added under SDM are the fields that will be used later in EC, the information you ask in the Additional Data Collection are fields that are not mapped to EC and will be available via a Custom Report.
ChinZhe
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi kirankumarsv and All,

I have a question, is it possible to fetch the data from the personal information(such as First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth) in Review New Hire Data step to a custom MDF Object (when doing Provide Additional Data step)?

If it is possible, please let me know the solution to configure this.

Thank you.

Regards,
Chin Zhe

LukaszSep
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello puja.ahuja2

Have you found a solution for this issue?
SF_ONB
Newcomer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I noticed I have faced the same issue as former_member19129. Is there a solution found for this error? Thanks a lot!

image (2).png

emeseszebeni2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello

very god blog. Thank you.

Although I have a question. Is it mandatory to have the API visibility set to Editable for ONB Custom Objects? We do not wish the information from the custom MDF to be read/changed by APIs. 

Thank you

Emese