Welcome Corner Blog Posts
Go a little bit deeper into the Welcome Corner with blog posts. Learn how to get started in SAP Community and get tips on maximizing your participation.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
craigcmehil
Community Manager
Community Manager
In 2016, the SAP Community moved from its old SCN home to its current platform. And in 2024, we'll have moved once again -- but to a new home that, actually, isn't entirely new at all. 

In late 2021, we launched our groups platform on Khoros. Starting with a few areas, this platform has since exploded to cover a wide variety of topics, providing discussion forums where participants can connect with peers in their locations, chat with like-minded members about common interests, search for new job opportunities, and join educational activities. And that was just the beginning, because by the end of this year, our Q&A and blogging content will become part of the same environment as groups.community.sap.com. 

Fully migrating SAP Community 

Why the need to migrate from community.sap.com? In short: We've outgrown our home.  

More than 3 million unique visitors come to SAP Community every month looking to learn and network, and after 7 years of providing the prime location to satisfy these needs, the current platform can no longer evolve to meet the demands of this large (and demanding!) audience. After nearly a decade of customizing, we've simply reached the limit of what we can do with some of our most popular areas, such as Q&A. 

With our groups platform, we have expanded our community with a solution from Khoros, a recognized leader in the online community space. And we've only scratched the surface of what's possible. 

What to expect from the platform 

In addition to providing discussion forums and event areas, the Khoros platform can deliver out-of-the-box functionality for questions and answers, blogging, gamification, and more. That makes it the perfect single location for everything our community has to -- and wants to! -- offer, especially as we continue to grow our community and its services. Khoros is the perfect partner for us because we'll benefit immediately from improvements that they develop and deliver for their platform. 

We plan to migrate the Q&A and blogging content by the end of this year (although our topic pages will remain where they are), while we also look to build even further upon what Khoros can do -- from new ways of rewarding members who earn positive reputations to better options for consuming the content members want the most.  

We'll have more to announce in the months ahead, as we help you prepare for your new home. But why wait? You can familiarize yourself with that new home now by participating in our groups. If you haven't already, sign up and join the conversations. The Welcome Corner is a great place to start, and we even started an Ask and Comment About the Community Platform and Migration discussion over there where you can ask questions about the upcoming migration and share your thoughts about the experience. 

The SAP Universal ID requirement 

With the migration, the community will be SAP Universal ID native, and as mentioned in this post, SAP Universal ID is also required to register for SAP TechEd. In addition, on September 5, members not on SAP Universal ID will be prompted to sign up when they attempt to log into the SAP Community. You can avoid that inconvenience -- and get ready for the new community and SAP TechEd today -- by creating your SAP Universal ID now! 

SAP Universal ID gives you complete control of your experience (so can manage your personal SAP identity through a single account that you can keep for life), and as previously mentioned, this ID will also become the only way to log into the new community after migration. So please make sure you don't get left behind, as we want you to come with us to our new home! 

Getting you ready for migration 

Expect more posts and updates to help documentation soon, as we plan to give you as much time as possible to get ready for the migration. We'll even schedule sessions where members can talk to experts to get additional details about the move. 

We'll also host monthly, live calls to ensure our community is ready for migration. We'll come together to hear updates, ask questions, and share ideas. Please register for these 60-minute, live YouTube sessions: 

September 19

October 17

November 14

December 14

January 16, 2024

February 13, 2024

The best is yet to come 

From SDN to SCN to SAP Community…I've been there every step of the way -- as a member, and as a manager. As the head of the Community & Influencers team, I feel confident that Khoros can give us the best community experience yet. I look forward to this next stage of a journey going back 20 years 

More importantly, I look forward to continuing this journey with you -- and continuing the conversation with you in the Welcome Corner.  

SAP Community Monthly Migration Series

52 Comments
TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
Craig,

This is another chapter to update for your book: https://www.amazon.com/rough-grayscale-look-back-Recognition/dp/149293979X/

Good luck

Tammy
MortenWittrock
Active Contributor
Woohoo! Let’s do this 🤪
PeterBlignaut
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
I like the idea of the YouTube sessions. Good luck with the project!
Vivek_Hegde
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is SCN >> GROUPS migration on going? I have my universal email id and primary P user id  already set & merged. However when I access https://groups.community.sap.com/ , it is asking for the new user id setup. When I setup a new user id, all my previous SCN stuffs are not carried forward. Is it normal? Is groups. Community.sap.com is  a blank slate ?

If I access https://groups.community.sap.com/ in incognito browser and when i log in via Universal ID & my P user, I get 401 error like below;

BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor
fb735739db15460f93998f201157cecd

Hi Vivek,

this looks eerily like an issue I've been running into a while ago where my access to groups suddenly went to different userIDs depending on which computer I log-in from. I also vaguely remember this pop-up showing up asking for a user-name which was unexpected as I had already signed-up for groups earlier and had been accessing it regularly. The Community and UID teams are already looking into my issue. Yours might be related.

Cheers

Bärbel

Vivek_Hegde
Active Contributor
Yes, it is a strange behavior. Ideally, my take on this is, If a user has a Universal Email ID & and a primary P User ID available in https://community.sap.com , should have a username already available in https://groups.community.sap.com . There seems to be some issue in the user mapping. I will wait for someone from community team to investigate it. Thanks for your inputs, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Vivek
anne-petteroe
Community Manager
Community Manager
fb735739db15460f93998f201157cecd I will get back to you here as well, in case anyone else with the same question as you is looking for an answer.

Until the migration to Khoros groups has taken place later this year, everyone needs to register with a new username first time they log on to Groups. The username you need to enter here is a display name. Which means the underlying Universal ID will stay the same, and I can assure you that no content will be lost, your account on community.sap.com stays the same.

I hope this helps 🙂
DirkManuel
Active Contributor
Will it carry over our kudos / missions? I'm at 71% of Grand Master Solver and don't want to start from zero again. Also, when I access it on the new site my profile says "since ‎04-21-2022" - where did it get that from? Because on the 'old' community it says "Member since March 22, 2018"...
Tomas_Buryanek
Active Contributor
All old content (mainly Q&As + Blogs) will be migrated to Khoros Group platform?

Do you know how it will affect Google indexing?

I suspect that lot of traffic to current Q&A comes from Google search.
DaniBoy777
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Tomas,

Thanks for your question!

We are working on bringing over content from the current community to the new community and to continue to optimize SEO from browsers such as Google.

Thanks!

Dani
OliverMueller
Advisor
Advisor
Hi,

quick question: Will "old" links, e.g. to existing blog posts, continue to work after the migration?

Thanks!

Oliver
wagener-mark
Contributor
Would love to see a dark theme 🙂 Success for the migration!
Sijin_Chandran
Active Contributor
Considering the initial version of SCN, below post really teleports me to that era 🙂

https://answers.sap.com/questions/9749017/hows-your-experience-with-the-new-scn-.html
jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi, oelchen:

Yes, those links will continue to work.

Kind regards,

--Jerry
pepl
Active Participant

I still cannot forgive SAP that decision. SCN was simply good! We lost years of work there from terms of building the community. As I predicted people went to Twitter, Stackoverflow, Github, Medium, Linkeding and other resources because even being non-SAP communities within time questions/blogs/posts became more discoverable than being published on community. Whenever I posted anything here - yes it was monitored by some moderators and SAP people replied, but i didn't really see that much contribution as it was before..

I honestly hope that SAP will analyse all the available data they have now and we will have trully better platform. So far I;'d dare to suggest my expectations:

• very clear UX. I want to have dashboard-like portal and to scroll as less as possible with maximum content on the top. Like lists of my recently asked questions, reaction to my posts, most viewed/commented posts was also a very nice feature.
  • Mobile first doesn't work for SAP ( even Fiori ). Let's accept that. Make it good for professionals working on large screens.
  • Being a knowledge base give us please good tools to write content. Seriously - even years after this editor where I write now this post cannot compete with modern tools
  • Draft support ( stateless ). I gave up writing posts here after loosing my content several times. nothing is cached or stored locally.
  • Integration suite. Notifications experience is very poor. Having integration suite ( API at least, streams better ) devs will be able to write  multiple integration scenarios ( Slack, Discord or bring principally different notification experience. No one follows emails in 2023 ).

What would you expect more from nextGen SCN?

joachimrees1
Active Contributor
Yet another new platform (Khoros)? Not sure if I will follow.

[insert SAP re-naming joke here]
BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor
joachim.rees3

Hi Joachim!

Just wondering: Khoros would only be a new platform if you haven't joined any of the SAP Community Groups yet. And these have been around for a while.

Cheers

Bärbel
MKreitlein
Active Contributor
I totally agree with you.

SCN was way better organized when you were looking for questions and answers about your topic.

This tagging just does not work, and SAP should more stick to "never touch a running system".

The most important thing is:

• Mobile first doesn't work for SAP ( even Fiori ). Let's accept that. Make it good for professionals working on large screens.

I hate companies who think they need to provide web pages for mobile customers with fat fingers... but they forget that we don't want to zoom in our browsers and to see buttons in 800x600 size 😞
craigcmehil
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos
Hopefully you'll be able to join one of our live sessions where we can also address the topic there. In short yes we will carry over all earned badges and reputation. However, many of the current badges will no longer be available going forward. The Platform has a whole new (and enhanced) system so some things simply don't translate 1:1 for us.
craigcmehil
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos
SDN-SCN-SAP Community has undergone many changes from 2003 to present. Always pros and cons of all the changes we have underwent.
acancelado
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks for sharing
SandipAgarwalla
Active Contributor
Dark mode for these community pages is much needed. Currently the theme is too bright.
joachimrees1
Active Contributor
Oh yes, it's true: I never joined (well, maybe I did, but never learned to like/use it) those group things.
Blog and Questions, that is what I use in SAP Community.
...maybe I'm getting old. But that is ok! 🙂
Florian
Active Contributor
haha.. it's like programming. You know, every single time there is a new technology around, you have to be curious. It will be for sure doing something a new way.. take a look and after digging a little make your choice 😉
Amin_Omidy
Active Participant
Excellent job, craig.cmehil and the entire team on this new initiative! I have a strong belief that based on what I've observed so far, this move will be beneficial in serving customers, partners, and SAP employees.
Thank you all!
pepl
Active Participant
I have actually tried to create a new post about some Hana issue. Currently the app forces me to choose a board which not even close to my topic. I feel like it's too early to start using it. Let's hope it will improve.
AzidImdad
Discoverer
Awesome. Eagerly waiting.
zfiori
Participant
" Expect more posts and updates to help documentation soon, as we plan to give you as much time as possible to get ready for the migration. "

Sounds great.

:)

hugo_bakx
Explorer
You mean it's called Khoros now, right?

Hello people from the future reading this! The platform was called Khoros before. 🙂
ROHITGERA1
Participant
Nice blog, thanks for sharing.
Hismayilov
Participant
I want to believe this. in the current community form many links are not accessible.

Especially the documentation links are generally all broken.
David-H-Deans
Explorer
Hello Craig,

Your new community site is apparently a 'work in progress' that will require more effort to remove the bugs.

FYI, I had a post removed by Anne because my content was deemed AI-generated, which it wasn't.

While I recognize that 'false positives' may not be uncommon on this new SAP Community platform, I encourage you to fix this problem so that substantive contributions are not filtered by automated or unskilled human moderation.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

David H. Deans

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dhdeans/
craigcmehil
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos
Strange that should happen, we use multiple checkers on content so strange to receive so many false positives, but I'm sure we can work that out - normally when this happens a simply back and forth through the editorial comments would solve it. I'll be sure to make sure the team checks your response to their comments and helps to sort things out.

Craig

David-H-Deans
Explorer
0 Kudos
Craig,

Anne responded privately to me via email with a further explanation. Your Community participants consider IDC research summaries about AI enterprise applications as "marketing" content, but there wasn't any content that fits that description in my post. The post was purely research-based insights from IDC, with some commentary from my own research perspective (as a business consultant).

FYI, while your relaunched Community reader may not be interested in this topic, it's covered elsewhere by SAP. Now that I know your focus is still primarily SAP SysAdmins who expect content to mention technical solution features and functions, I'll refrain from publishing again. My mistake.

David H. Deans
robenm
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
When will the migration of content from SCN will be completed?

I was trying to access a reference blog I had and couldn't find the content in the new platform 😞

https://scn.sap.com/blogs/SAP_TM_Enhancements

If content like this that has been big help for the community's for years isn't migrated I'm afraid that it will be a huge loss.
pboulicaut
Participant
0 Kudos
i share the same conclusion  regarding

community.successfactors.com

being move

to community.sap.com

SAP have the data to analyze who is no longer connecting in community.sap.com

by analyzing the logs.

unless these successfactors community login visit data have already been purged by a decommissioning project.

it should not fall into the remaining visitors of community.sap.com to voice their concerns, because SAP is simply asking the wrong population.

you need to reach into the former community members what has been a deterent for them to no longer join :

• is it the Sap Universal ID ?

• is it the merge of account ? (because guess what, people like to change, customer is now partner, partner is now customer, etc.)

• is it the lack of SAP response to community article ?

• is it the confusion between answer.sap.com, groups.community.sap.com, influence.sap.com, Local User Group, open.sap.com ?

we now have a dead community during release when it used to be a fast and efficient community site for both customer & SAP Product Managers to identify key topics
matthiasbraeuer
Participant
Hi Craig

I am wondering why there is a dedicated partner section in the new groups-based community, which cannot be accessed with a regular P-User.

From my POV, this poses the following problems:

• Duplication of groups between the regular "Groups" and the "Partner Groups". I can already see that there are various SuccessFactors interest groups but also a HCM partner group.

• Profile switching for people that have both a personal P-User and a partner S-User (like me). I like to use one user and the profile linking and merging feature that had been introduced in the current (i.e., old) community was actually very helpful to consolidate all these users. My different users are linked to one Universal ID, but I still need to choose which one I'd like to log in with. And there are different profiles in the community groups for my different users.

• Restriction of knowledge sharing to partner and SAP employees. SAP already has a restricted access community within the SAP Learning Rooms, which can only be accessed with a Partner Learning Hub access. I'm afraid these partner-only community groups will be another "exclusive" zone for people that pay partner fees. What about independent contractors that don't have a partner S-User?

Sorry if these questions were already addressed during the community webinars, which I haven't had time yet to review. But I also wasn't able to find any answers when searching for "partner groups" in the community. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks for any insights,

Matt

craigcmehil
Community Manager
Community Manager
The plan is initiate the migration of content in the next weeks. That link you put there is from the platform prior to 2016, I'm not sure that still exists today.
craigcmehil
Community Manager
Community Manager
All valid questions and not all have been addressed so far. In general the partner area is there as we have consolidated several areas like the Ariba Partner Delivery and SuccessFactors Partner Delivery areas into the SAP Community. So yes we have a specific partner to SAP employee area for multiple different reasons within the SAP Community.  Those reasons are actually quite numerous and extensive so not something for a simple comment on a post but we can look to bring that into one of our future calls.
Annie3
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Anne,

My colleague registered with a new username and he's still getting the 401 error. Is this still an issue with other users? Can you advise on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks,
Annie
parttimenerd
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
I had the same problem. I hope they improve this before the old system is shut down.
WEIWEI
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Anne,

Could you solve this problem? To me it occurred the same problem. I would appreciate if you can give me a help. Thanks!
I've run out of walls to bang my head against
anne-petteroe
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi ado0000 - could you please ask your colleague to send an e-mail to community@sap.com so that I can help troubleshoot?

Kind regards,
Anne
anne-petteroe
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi w1e2i3,

Please send an e-mail to community@sap.com and I will help you troubleshoot.

Kind regards,
Anne
Annie3
Explorer
0 Kudos
Thank you Anne! I have asked my colleague to send an email to you.

Thanks,
Annie
audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
If you're not already subscribed to What's New, consider subscribing so you can be notified of new posts regarding the migration. For example, @jerry.janda recently posted about important migration dates, and I posted about which content will and will not migrate.
audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
Another reminder to those who follow this post or follow Craig to check out What's New for all the latest information about the migration. Jerry Janda just posted today about gamification, and there is information about how blogging and Q&A will work after migration as well.
Former Member
0 Kudos

@craigcmehil 
I converted to Universal ID, quite late. It seems I no longer have my Q&A mapped to my ID. Do you know if I have to do something to map them back to my ID. 
I can see my P-ID still same as before

Thanks,

Viraj

hitesh2
Participant
0 Kudos

When I sort blogs by most recent, they are not arranged by date.

hitesh2_0-1706739296556.png

Thanks,

Hitesh 

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

@Former Member Because your question is related to your accounts, please send an email with the relevant information (your UID, your P ID, etc) to sapcommunity@sap.com.